Yellow Bullet Forums banner

79 Nova rear specs?

8K views 76 replies 10 participants last post by  Bigtruckdrivah 
#1 ·
Looking to go to a mono leaf and caltrac bar. I don't know if anyone has looked at smith race craft stuff but it looks nice. And a little cheaper than caltrac or CE. I called them but they don't have a 4th gen Nova direct part for the bars, their "assassin bars". The leafs they can do. Does anyone know if there is another car around the same year that is the same specs? Maybe a 79-80 Malibu, camaro? My shocks are inboard the leafs already, and it's subframed.

#33 ·
I just checked, it has probably 3" compression, and 5.5" extension. How should these shocks feel? They are supposed to 50/50's, but there is now name on them except "pro shock". After I unbolted the shock, I had to pull it down, and same for compressing it. Didn't seem to have any action at all.is that right?

#40 ·
^^^^^Agree^^^^^ Go ahead and buy the double adjustable shocks now. If you already had Rancos then Ok, we work with them and try to make it work but if you are buying new, you will be money ahead buying a Strange or Afco now. There are plenty of dealers here on the Bullet that can get you a better price than you find in the catalogs or direct.

#47 ·
Tested tonight. Best pass was with caltracs adjusted to just touching leafs, shocks at full loose. 2 step at 2500. If I try to launch at anything above 3500 the car bounces the front tires up and down real hard. I tried various rpm's, the higher I went the 60' suffered. Best pass was 6.70 @100mph, 1.46 60'. If I left the 2 step at 2500 and shocks at full loose it would run 6.70-6.73. This was shifting at 7000, crossing about 6400.

I think my carb needs to be jetted up a size, I've got a lc1 wideband to hook up before i go out again. I think there's a little tuning on the carb still. Just don't know for sure withouth seeing afr's. am I missing anything? The track was moiste tonight, been raining all week. A lot of complaints. I wonder had it been a little better surface if I would have gone 6.6x? Leaving at lower rpm ran faster across the board, but I could still feel tires spinning. Kept tire pressure at 12 all night.

#54 ·
Tested tonight. Best pass was with caltracs adjusted to just touching leafs(your goin in the right direction)

, shocks at full loose. (fronts? or did you get rear adjustables?)

2 step at 2500. (this gives a "run" at the converter)

If I try to launch at anything above 3500 the car bounces the front tires up and down real
hard. I tried various rpm's,
( what is bouncing tires up and down? I'm guessing you front shocks are to loose and your front end is toping out real fast and unloading the car and its repeating causing the bouncing hard to say u get any video?)

#48 ·
Before tonight, it ran best against the converter. Would the lower rpm launch hit tires harder? If so, what else can I do to hit the tires even harder? It was weird to me because the low rpm passes felt slower than higher rpm. If I can run high 6's, will 250 shot take me to high 5's? Granted I can plant the tires.

#53 ·
did you get adjustable shocks? if your wanting more initial shock to your tires raise the angle of the cal track up in the front, i don't think this is what you want tho, this increases the initial shock but it doesn't keep the tires planted out as far either as say if the bar was equal to the racing surface.

#55 ·
Ya I have the Calvert adjustable rears. Fronts are 90/10 lakewoods. So the fronts are too loose on compression? Causing the front to go down too far and unload the rear suspension? I have the low pro caltracs, so I'm already in upper hole. On my fast passes,about 100ft out i could feel it get loose. It would get a bit squirely.

#56 ·
So the fronts are too loose on compression?- no extension front end is coming up to fast and topping out ...and it unloads the whole car.
I have the low pro caltracs, so I'm already in upper hole. On my fast passes,about 100ft out i could feel it get loose. - Once again get it in whatever hole is most parallel with the surface your racing on you want your bar to look like this (=) the top of the equal sign being your bar and the bottom being the race track you want them level

#60 ·
The QA1-R shock can work well. Fixed stiff on compression and 12 way adjustable on rebound. I've had too results with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.