Yellow Bullet Forums banner

ALIGNMENT QUESTION need advice.

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sc68z28 
#1 ·
ok. so I'm nearing the end of my project and one of the last outstanding issues I have to take care of is an alignment. as easy as it seems to just take it somewhere, it's actually not so easy. #1 it'll need to be towed or flat bedded to a shop $$$. #2 I have no paperwork on the truck. and #3 I'm not seeing it being a cut and dry job. for some reason I see it becoming time consuming and ending up costing me alot more than I really wanna spend. not to mention I don't really want some gorilla beating and scratching the hell out of all my hard work. So with all that being said. would one of these contraptions (see link below) be suitable to do an alignment at home on my own???? They also offer a toe gauge adapter to get those settings too. any input and or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!!

http://www.jegs.com/i/Specialty-Products/827/91000/10002/-1?parentProductId=759610

#2 ·
I do my own alignments for all the reasons you stated and a few more.

If a person has a decent understanding of front end geometry (ie camber, caster, toe and bump steer) it can be done with that gauge. You will also need some kind of turn/slip plates.

Toe can be measured using two tapes and some kind of straight edges as shown in my pic.

---Bill.

#6 ·
#3 ·
ahhh. no shit!! That's pretty cool. my front end is pretty straight forward. aside from the drop I beams its an all stock ford ranger front end. not much to adjust...I think. as far as slip plates go. I was thinking of doing them the poor man route. I was gonna use two pieces of sheet metal with some grease sandwiched between them. it worked pretty good when I put the front end back together and had to adjust the toe to get them somewhat straight.
well thanks for the reassurance...and the pic to back it up!!!:supz:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.