Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Figure Front Coils Rate/Length? (w/ Slapper Bars!)

926 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  3pedals 
#1 ·
Yeah, I know everyone loves Cal-Tracs. Blow me. I'm going to use slappers.

The reason I'm asking is because I've taken a ton of weight out of the car and I'm going to try a completely different drivetrain combination. Historically the car has never had any issues hooking (even on the street) with the old ass Moroso trick springs, or whatever the hell they are. I'd have to cut the hell out of them to get the car to come down, so I'd rather just buy a new set.

The car is a <2,800lb '67 Camaro (with driver) with an LS7 that makes 600rwhp N/A & 750rwhp on the bottle. The power is going through a T56 w/2.66 first gear, then back to 4.10's. I'd like to be able to hook decently on 275/60/15 drag radials, but I also have some 28x10.5's if I can't get it dialed in.

How do you find a starting point for front springs?

#2 ·
Cant answer your spring rate question, but you will want to find out front end weight for sure to get the best answer. Best guess you are gonna want around a 350 rate in front, but again just a total guess. I have 450 on my Qa1's right now and they are stiff with poor response initial hit and just barely poke a tire in the air. Kudo's on the wanting to run slappers though. I will admit I have plans to finally jump on the bandwagon this year and change over to caltracs or assassins because I get way too much rear separation on launch, but my old ass ssm lift bars have always got me hook.

#4 ·
I will admit I have plans to finally jump on the bandwagon this year and change over to caltracs or assassins because I get way too much rear separation on launch, but my old ass ssm lift bars have always got me hook.

Thats where Im at right now, finally ditching the slappers and going to monos & Caltracs.
I honestly hated to do it wanting to be different (plus running on slappers fools alot of so-called grudge racers) but I feel Im leaving a lot on the table, maybe not in ET but in handleing and ease of tuning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.