Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Front spring rate vs shock on Caltrac radial car

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  JeffMcKC 
#1 ·
I know I need shocks and springs for my car and that both contribute to weight transfer. I have the original 67 Mustang 6 cylinder springs on it now with Summit shocks. I have spherical bearing LCAs, roller perches and rod ends on the strut rods, so the front end moves very freely. The front is pretty heavy with all original sheet metal, a 351w and a 50lb turbo up front. The front suspension stays pretty much topped out for the whole 1/4 mile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6dzAaddgjY

I am more interest in launch than down the track.

What does too soft of a spring with extra extension dampening do vs too stiff of spring with soft extension vs correct spring and dampening? How do you know if the spring rate is right?

#2 · (Edited)
If it will hold the weight and not coil bind at the ride height you want its not to weak, If its coil bound its to weak. It takes a good shock to control it. It sounds like you have more of a Aero issue holding the front end up, the comp Is to soft in the rear looks like from the video and I would slow the front down some.

#3 ·
Shouldn't the front end settle some at around 100' out. It is still topped out and aero should not be much of a factor until at least 330' I would think. The are no witness marks to indicate coil bind. I did have add a 1" spacer to get that ride height.

#4 ·
You can lesson the compression, you need to work on getting the car to work with less front extension and still hook to get it to settle. The aero starts before 330 at least I would hope your going fast enough by then with a blow thru

#6 ·
Yes, over time its showing unlike we used to do (fast and tons of travel), to slow it down and less travel works better, its the topping out that's always been the issue. Just as long as it can keep moving up and not hit a hard stop.

I have seen the backs of those cars also limit out what the spring travel in the back and top it out or the shock and pull the tires right up as it looks also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.