Yellow Bullet Forums banner

79 Nova rear specs?

8K views 76 replies 10 participants last post by  Bigtruckdrivah 
#1 ·
Looking to go to a mono leaf and caltrac bar. I don't know if anyone has looked at smith race craft stuff but it looks nice. And a little cheaper than caltrac or CE. I called them but they don't have a 4th gen Nova direct part for the bars, their "assassin bars". The leafs they can do. Does anyone know if there is another car around the same year that is the same specs? Maybe a 79-80 Malibu, camaro? My shocks are inboard the leafs already, and it's subframed.

#63 ·
Pulled my from shocks today, they may or might not be 90/10's. the compression was prettY tight, but extension was really loose. Also found my front suspension only has about 3" travel. The total extension on these shocks is 13", and at ride height the shock was extended to 11". So I only had 2" until the shock topped out. There wasn't a name on the shocks, who knows what they are? Previous owner was on a tight budget so used what was available.

My other question is, I measure the actual fron suspension travel. From rubber snubber to top of spring pocket where it tops out. I only measured 3". I could cut the rubber snubber out and get 4". Should I do it? I know for sure I need shocks, still unsure what length to get or if it is required to get a DA or SA? Help!!!!!

#65 ·
Set rear tire pressure rat at 13-13.5 (assuming 10.5 tire), get a decent set of front springs ( I use moroso drag springs) a 90/10 shock is fine....I run CE slide a links and stock multi leafs with CE adjustable shocks.
Mine will 60 at 1.40-1.41 and clock 6.40-6.42all day (Alky 400, 635hp). I went 14 passes last weekend until the 15th pass when the track went to hell at 2:00am and never varied more than 6.40-6.42 with 20 degree temp changes. I foot brake it at 2500 at launch.

#64 ·
Cut the snubber down. How low is the front end?

#66 ·
If your car is doing that you need to tighten extension on the front to slow the travel down. Without adjustable fronts I guess I would try tightening the rear extension and see if that helps

#73 ·
Got one coil on today. Had to cut almost 2 coils to get it in and to get close to ride height. Old side sits at 2ft from ground to fender lip, new side sits at 2 ft 1 1/2in. I figure it will settle 3/4 or so and put it just tad higher than before like I want. Anyone had to cut this much? I hope I didn't fuck the springs up.
The old springs were cut down so much, there was no load on the lower control arm at all. When I pulled the spindle loose spring just fell out, not popped out like they should. I gained 3 coils over the old ones. You guys think this is why it wouldn't stay on the rear tire?

#74 ·
Just wanted to update......

Put new bushings in the front CA, grounded the serrations on uppers and greased everything up real good, didn't over tighten any bolts. Threw in qa1 single adjustables, and moroso trick springs also. Went 6.24, 1.37 60' on a 100 shot tonight. All the suspension tricks in here worked great, thanks guys!

I run the fronts full loose, and the rear calvert 9 ways 3 clicks from full loose and it plants the tires nice and holds it. Not too violent, nice up and slow back down. Feel like what I'm doing is working finally! Thanks again!!

#75 ·
Good info guys ..you Kentucky guys know your chit ! Hey thats a 77-79 Nova with a 72 front ...thats different..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.