Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Wal-Mart Workers' Black Friday Strike

12K views 131 replies 68 participants last post by  stg1john 
#1 ·
#61 ·
$8.90 to stock shelves isn't bad. It's everything else with that company. I was doing the back room manager position (we didn't have one) because if I didn't they would fire my ass and yet they paid me the $8.90 stocker pay (which is $3 an hour less then the what the back room manager is supposed to make). They would make you skip breaks or they would fire you, at the end of the week if you had overtime they would send you home early (usually to the point where your not considered full time so they don't have to pay benefits which they consider anything less then 35 hours a week not full time), and if you weren't yet to your 35 hours they would tell you that you had to stay late or come in on your days off. I worked there for 3 years while I went to college. It was very rough trying to scrap by and pay for college.

#54 ·
I worked at Walmart when I was 19. What Walmart should do for you is what it did for me. It should make you realize that school did not suck like you remember, and make you want to get a higher level of education. If I would have went straight to tech school after high school, I would not have done as well as I did in tech school.

#56 ·
If there was ever a company that deserved to fail due to it being a big roll in the collapse of the American economy it would be Wal-mart. That company has slipped so far from Sam Walton's idea its not funny..

Shannon

#59 ·
Unions never tried to organize wal mart when Sam Walton was a live and running the country. The company was all about supporting America and American workers. Wal mart employees made a fair wage, fair benefits and the company only sold American products for the most part. Once San Walton passed away is when all of these changes happened. It's really kinda maddening what wal mart does these days.

#57 ·
#63 ·
Read the link I posted. And read the article I copied and pasted. Not everything has to be made in America but what is gonna happen if we let all of our manufacturing go over the pond? When there are no jobs left here an no one can get a job who's taxes is gonna pay for welfare? I don't think you really understand the scope of this. Read the link I posted and then let me know how you feel about all of this. By the way that laptop or phone your posting on wasnt made in the US either. Maybe we as American should demand more products to be made here.

#62 ·
I LIVE IN A PLACE WHERE YOU DON'T EVEN NEED A WALMART....OR A STUPID FUCKING BLACK FRIDAY.....FUCK THESE WHINEY BITCHES AND THEIR SHIT JOB....JUMP OFF A CLIFF TURD GURGLERS

#68 ·
Yeah fuck the American people... Who cares about them... We shouldn't worry about each other and only our selves....

Come on Caps are you that selfish to not care about what happens in your country or are you just trying to troll and up your post count?
MY POINT WAS....THE AMERICAN PEOPLE HAVE SPOILED THEMSELVES INTO A DOWNWARD SPIRAL....THAT THEY WILL NOT ESCAPE FROM.....YOU CAN'T TELL ME...THAT EITHER YOU NOR ME CAN DO ANYTHING TO HELP...SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T THINK THEY NEED HELP.....BLIND...WE ARE....NOW STEP ON UP....AND SPIN THE WHEEL OF FORTUNE....LOL

#78 ·
Did you see where a yellowbullit member posted his experience workin at Walmart were? He did a managers job for workers pay or he would be fired. Had to work on his day off if he had less than 35 hours or he would be fired? Had to skip his breaks or be fired? A what point do you think working conditions are just about pay?

#80 ·
interesting scenario.Unlike most modern strike situations walmart has a lot to lose. They leverage EVERYONE and make huge profits. Any hiccup will create huge losses. If labor can hold their ground it could be impressive but you're dealing with bottom feeders that live on the ragged edge and will probably fold easily.
If they raised prices on their shit products 5% accross the board and gave it to the workers i'd be fine with it. It's all dispoable garbage anyway.

#88 ·
When I was in high school.....I worked at wal mart... Along with a bunch of other low end jobs. Always had a job, sometimes even two, even before I could drive(cutting grass round the neighborhood and a paper route).

When an opportunity to work at wal mart presented itself...I took it. Funny thing is, of all the similar work you could get anywhere else...wal mart was always one of the better paying jobs.

Above minimum wage thats for sure, where most similar caliber jobs usually started at minimum wage. They were a good dollar above it.

BUT....its not a "good" job where you can support yourself long term. It might have paid an extra 50 cents an hour than other department store type jobs, but I knew sure as shit that it wasnt what you call a good job. It was a job for a high school kid or supplimental part time income. I didnt go in, intending to be a lifer at wal mart. It was damn near a bottom rung job when I started and I knew full well that this wasnt going to change much.

I can understand the peoples frustration, but at the same time.....how does it make sense to apply for a bottom rung job that requires the skill of a house fly, and after you are there.....try to assume that it should actually be a good paying job.

You cant apply for an 8 dollar an hour job, and then say.....well since "I" am doing the job.....I believe that this job should now be worth full time, full benefits, and higher pay.

It just doesnt work that way... Its an 8 dollar job no matter who does it. You cant "will" it into being a good career and should not be surprised that it isnt.

This is just another example of people skating thru life, not really doing anything to create a future for themselves....but expecting it to be there for them anyways.

#91 ·
I worked there too. The pay was great, and I was treated well considering I should have been arrested for assaulting a juvenile customer, and constantly sneaking in overtime. I wasn't even fired. But I could never understand why my shift was changed each week. One week would be morning shift, and the next week would be evening shift; I found that very odd. I never could get my items-per-hour to average either; I was just an angry, shity cashier.

#90 ·
One other thing to add.... Im probably one of the few people on earth that says they dont really shop at wal mart and actually means it.

Im just not a fan of the place.. Has nothing to do with their business practices, which I know little about nowadays....I just simply hate being inside the place.

There is a small grocery store closer to my house, and thats where I go for stuff because its more convenient to me and being inside the place is much less annoying.

wal mart may be much shittier than I know....and a lot of other stuff beyond just wages going on there.

But again....if I were to apply there today, I wouldnt expect much from a job there. Wouldnt expect anything to change just because its me working there...

#120 ·
The US would be better off w/o Walmart selling all that Chinese junk. Of course, no one has to buy it. In any case, how much do they expect to make working there? I best most of them are Obamacrats. We are seeing the US turn in Greece right before our eyes. There will be riots when the welfare checks start bouncing.

#122 ·
1. I don't shop at Walmart at all.
2. I don't feel sorry for the employees because they have to work Black Friday or even Thanksgiving itself.
3. The US Military, firefighters, police departments, hospitals, aren't closed on Thanksgiving or Black Friday.
4. I do feel Walmart exploits their employees and has been the cause of many small business mom&pop family owned stores.
5. There are other options to save money and NOT shop at Walmart.

Watch as much of this as you have time for. It will show you what's up with Walmart!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jazb24Q2s94

#126 ·
I don't feel sorry for the workers, nor do I feel sorry for Walmart. If they want to leave, they can, and they are in a big group. Good for them. It's different than working a job in high school. Anything you make in high school is good money. It's different when you are trying to run a house on that money, and when there are few other jobs in the area to work at. If Walmart wants to pay what they pay....let em. If the workers want to strike....let em.

#129 ·
I put in 2 years at the local walmart. I told them to shove it when i applied to move up and the store manager told me flat out i was wasting my time because they already had someone in mind for the job. They are nothing but bullies. A lady i worked with got fired because her husband who was in the army was being transferred out west. She found a walmart close to the base and got transferred to that store. She was supposed to work and her old store till 11pm one nite and start at the new store 2000 miles away at 7 the next morning. How the fuck is that right? Also my pops works for the company that makes all the walmart OTC pain killers and the constantly put in huge orders with short deadlines just to cancle them a few hours before they are set to ship.

#132 ·
Never been in a union, never had to have somebody else protect my job, I have done it on my own. That being said.

Union or not, if you strike & don't show up for work, shouldn't that be the same as quitting? Therefore unemployment shouldn't be paid??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.