Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Modular Motorsports Racing out of Ca.

5K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  stormingrey luv 
#1 ·
Looking for information about them. Nothing in particular. The good, The great, The bad, The ugly... I have no opinion nor do I know anything about them other than what I've been told and what I've read on the web. All good stuff so far!

A simple search here using "MMR" produced zilch. I don't have the time to play the search game here trying to figure out the exact correct language, all the while taking a few minutes between guesses when I can just ask a guy or two in this forum.

Looking for first hand experiences with them please. PM me if you'd prefer to keep it private.

Their name has come up a couple times in a big way from two completely different sources lately and I figure I'd like to get to know more about them before I call out there.

Thanks in advance!

Gilbert

#7 ·
Thanks for posting up your comments, albeit vague. I do appreciate the effort.

I am looking for information and experiences about them just as I mentioned initially. I can obviously read what they say about themselves on their websites and their well earned NMCA West accomplishments. I am looking for real world comments about first hand experiences and not hearsay.

I won't go into why other than to say I was asked to get involved with a car earlier today and I am doing my best to learn about them as I do not have any experience personally.

Thanks again.

g

#9 ·
Rods, were over torqued, main caps had a range of clearances from .001 to .09. Ordered a set of pistons for a 1000hp build, got a stock replacement style piston, then was told the difference paid they would ship the right pistons, even though my customer already paid for the 1000hp pistons, argued for days over that. Parts just left off the order, sworn they were shipped, only to have a month go by and then they admit, it wasnt shipped and then wont ship until shipping is paid upfront.

I wouldnt touch them with a ten ft poll and you pushing

#11 ·
My experiences with them have all been with information only (tech help). They have usually been pretty helpful, and I would order parts from them just for that fact. Alot of the mustang forums will have the answers you are looking for as far as their actual work. From what I have seen, it is 50/50. Years ago they did a motor in a friend's cobra. Shortblock took a shit with not alot of miles on it. I know you don't want "hearsay", that's just the info I have.

When did they change the name?

#13 ·
I think the proper name is Modular Mustang Racing. I bought a shortblock from them 3 years ago. Never had a problem with them. They were very helpful. Even let me stockpile parts there. Then they shipped them for me. You will hear alot of negative stuff about their oil pumps. But remember, they sell 2 very different oil pump & gear sets. I think they have gotten better since I bought from them. Mark frequents the modular forum of this place quite often.

#19 ·
I think the proper name is Modular Mustang Racing.
Thanks, was at their website last night and just copied the name at the top of the screen. Have no clue if they've changed names or not. Looks like the very same company though. At least that's the website my new customer sent me to. http://www.modularmustangracing.com/index_no_mobile_detect.htm.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I've received more PM's than comments here and I appreciate it. I have no reason to second guess or doubt the work that's been done on a car I'll be getting involved with. But having been down this road more times than I care to remember, I wanted to do a bit of due diligence before I agreed to do the work I was asked to deal with.

Iv'e gotten lot's of useful information from you guys since last night. Thanks a bunch.

g

#14 ·
I wont ever use them... Had a customer send them heads to have the bearings done on the cam towers because they said they had the bearings in stock and could have it done in a week.

21 days later we made them ship the heads back after finding out they didnt have the bearings and they claimed the boring bar for doing this was broken.

Id call Accufab for anuthing modular before i will ever pick up the phone and call MMR.

#15 ·
Wow, thats the power of the Bullit. Be it good or bad. Its amazing how this innocent post of requesting info about a company has produced an image to quite a few people who have read this and now will never call these people. 15 years ago it would take years to get this kind of reputation out to this many people. Thats scary. Shows how important customer service and producing a good product is.

#16 ·
For every one MMR motor that has an issue, there's 25 that take a beating and come back for more. I've seen a couple FUCKED UP 4.6 4V's shortblocks with horrible PTW clearance that scored cylinders and pistons from them... For the most part their good to work with if you have an issue although a friend got blamed for his damage claiming detonation in the tune caused the failure when it was the furthest thing from the actual cause...

#17 ·
I had a very bad experience with them.they have great prices.on parts but I wont let touch them touch anything for ever again.

#18 ·
A friend of mine ordered a short block 4v cobra 4.6, forged everything, took way longer than quoted he gets the engine finally, takes it out of the bag turns the motor over by hand to get ready to install heads and noticed that there was scratches in all the cylinders.

Long story short they didnt clean the rings up after filing them. He called, they said basically it's not our problem.

Now he's stuck paying someone local to tear it all down rehone and rebuild it.

Just a heads up, i can get pictures if you need them ratched.

#20 ·
They have been very helpful and good to me. I run their top of the line crank and have gotten several MMR parts such as the thrust bearing kit and coolant passage fittings. Mark over there has been very helpful to me and my racing program. As far as the complaints about their engine building programs, I have no insight on that as Dave Guy at DGR does my engine work.

#22 ·
here we go ,I got a 5.4 3v ,balanced ,rotating assembly from Modular mustang racing , with Manley rods .Six of the 8 rods ,bolts seized up while trying removing the connecting rod cap bolts from the rods.Talked to MMR today and they asked me "what kind of impact did you used to take them out with", I said I didn't use a im pact I used a breaker bar and rod vice ,then he said I need to call Manley because that's their rods,I say I bought them from you ,don't you need to be calling manley .now manley doesn't have a set to match the ones that were balanced with the engine and MMR saying I have to pay to get this assembly rebalanced.so after jumping up and down for 30min he says he will call Manley to see if they will pay the balance fee......I let you all know shortly how this pans out

#23 ·
I know a guy by me that bought a forged shortblock from them for his '01 cobra.

He was quoted a month, it took 2. Otherwise everything was fine when he got it & it's been holding up well for ove a year.

I notice a trend that shortblocks buyers always seem to be happy, whereas complete engine buyers are hit & miss.

The only other thing i have heard complaint wise has been stock/wrong oil pumps on some modulars that requested upgraded punps

#24 ·
We ordered a 1500hp 5.0 shortblock from them with there promod block. Parts look great. Took a little longer to build then they said but that's understandable. We def gonna use this engine with twin turbos!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.