Yellow Bullet Forums banner

OFFICIAL FUCK INDY CYLINDER HEAD THREAD!

57K views 215 replies 75 participants last post by  bigboostlaser 
#1 ·
I must have heard a million stories about how indy fucks you over and its all your fault! Your and idiot not them.........

Post up your I got fucked by indy story :mad:

#5 ·
my boss bought a motor from russ. he was told it was a 540ci with 14.1 compression. the motor sat for a few years cause of other projects....the motor is at tim bowmans right now for a cam change and we find out its a 528ci motor with about 10.1 compression. WTF

#7 ·
35 passes. took it apart to change the combo and found this. Ends up the register is .006 to big on number 1and they green loctited it!!!!!! 2&3 were also .003 to big 4&5 were right on spec. You tell me what kind of quality control that was? Thank god i pulled it apart before it took itself apart

#32 ·
indy sucks!!!! flat out! russ is an asshole , kenny will say anything to make a sale , jim is a flat out grumpy fucker and anyone else is guilty by association!

phuck yeah!!! the rumpy dude should get his tampon changed!!!

15 years ago i bought a tunnel ram and two tops...had a few questions (as anyone would...)he was grumpy and arrogant as one who is gonna miss out on his afternoon delight....

after i got the parts..i coutesy called back to say all was right...fucker was on the rag AGAIN!!!

i have NEVER or will EVER call there again...fuck if i had that attitude...i would have been out of bussiness years ago...

at PRI i just take a real quick glace at their shit...even that booth has a bad vibe...fuck them twice,bitchslap em and go for the reacharound...jerks.

some tell them they have shit stains on their collars....

#17 ·
They have screwed over so many of my friends and when I got screwed I only had myself to blame for not listening. I got screwed pretty good and it was JA PERFORMANCE that had to fix all the screw ups!!! James redid shit that was never supposed to have issues! The heads needed MASSIVE work just to start the motor without it coming apart! The block was out a few thou and needed to be trued up! I just took it on the chin and will never use them for a mini-bike motor!!!!!!!

I now run BIG inch stuff and it does not say Indy on ANYTHING!!!!

#18 ·
James @JA is good people,he did a few build ups for me and usually
in his shop are a few engines in the corner from big name builders that needed
to be gone through .....I wont mention names.....
If I was still in the NY area id still work with the guy
he is 100% a standup builder in a biz filled with garbage builders.......

#19 ·
on my buddies maxx block there was shavings through the block and the decks were supposed to be square coming from indy... they were .007 different from end to end!

Ive never seen a company with a dont give a fuck attitude and If you talk to them there the car gods or something and your just an idiot!

#20 ·
When I was gonna change heads on my car a few years back, (they were 440-1 Indys, but we did all the work) a friend of mine urged me to go with the B1 stuff, I didn't listen and went with a new set of 572-13 Indys, BIGGEST POS heads I have ever worked with, the valve job was a disaster to say the least, valve seats were so far out of concentrically I almost could not get them right w/o replacing the valve seats on the exhaust, and I did the seat work with my Serdi, and a tight pilot, so things were right. I flowed them and the low/mid lift numbers were WAY off from Indys numbers, the peak numbers were off too, but I had more concern for how bad the lower numbers were..

After getting things right, engine went on the dyno, got things done and when taking the engine off the dyno I noticed something didn't look right around the exhaust seats, spun the engine over and found pressure leaking from under the exhaust seats, now we got a mess! I called Russ, all he did was insult me and blame it ALL on me! A dealer for Indy got in the middle of this to try and quite things down, HE took it upon himself to send me another set of heads and said HE would handle things with Russ, well the heads came to me, they were not what they were supposed to be.. OH, let me back up, the previous heads had a 2.350 intake, when I took the heads off for the valve seat problem, I also noticed the intake and exhaust valves were clipping each other, so I didn't want the 2.350 heads that "Russ" had suggested to me in the first place, turns out the replacements were the same, so I said fuck it, I will replace the intake seats myself and install the smaller intakes and fix the fucked up valve job the Indy supplies with the heads, we picked the low lift flow up about 30CFM, just by getting the seat angles right!!!! With a .050 smaller vlave we didn't even lose any flow up top, so all was good..

Ok, NOW I am on cylinder heads #2, on the dyno again, picked up some good power with the seat work, so things look good, well that is what I thought... :confused: Start to take it off the dyno AGAIN, notice a little moisture in the exhaust port, turns out to be a pinhole pissing out water!!!! :smt093:smt076 I fixed the exhaust port myself..

In the end, Russ would not do a single thing, just blamed me for EVERYTHING!!!!:smt097 Also, the dealer said he would take care of everything, well Russ even told him to fuck off and left him holding the deal, I ended up sending him a few hundred dollars to settle with him.. I shoulda never sent him a penny, let him fight it out with Russ, but I was being the good guy.....

I would not give Russ Flagle @ Indy the sweat off my balls if he was dying of thirst!!

IT GETS WORSE!!!!! I bumped into someone who worked @ Indy for a short time, he said he had to leave, that he had NEVER worked for a bigger asshole in his life!!! This guy has always seemed to be a real easy going, nice guy to me, does NOT come across as a guy you would have a problem with, so I believe what he has said... I would NEVER mention his name, he works in the industry still and I would not want to effect that.

I am giving you the short version of this too, there is a bunch more to go with this.. It is AMAZING that a company like that can stay around with that kinda product and service... I guess when you spend HUGE money every month on advertising, you almost CAN'T fail, despite all the effort you make to do such.. :rolleyes:

#22 ·
I've only dealt with them once on a set of ported E7 Ford heads they were advertising. They were suppose to be cnc ported with 1.90/1.60 valves in them. When I got them, they were older castings, E5's if I remember right, the port job was a fucking joke and the heads were still full of shot peen. I ended up taking them to a local shop to have the port work finished up and remove all the shot peen from inside the heads. In the end, I had close to what a set of TFS street heats costed back then.

I contacted Indy and they were suppose to help me out on the cost but I never received shit from them.

#27 ·
I have owned a bunch of Indy stuff, and friends who run Indy stuff, and talk to lots of owners of Indy stuff, If you guys are having casting flaw issue's..its a rare case for sure.
Even though they are dicks, facts are facts, and they make some quality stuff, and carried Mopar people through tough times making stuff that no one offered (or not very many)..

#24 ·
I tried to talk to the guys at Indy about a big inch Hemi motor and the bad attitude during the conversation turned me off completely. I thank my lucky stars that I got a dose of what the future would hold before I dropped my money on the table.

I went with Fulton and a Chevy and could not be happier, he treats his customers like they are the only one he has. And his stuff is the best money can buy. If you have an issue he tells you to get it to him and he fixes it no questions asked. I have dealt with him on 4 motors now and I would recommend him to anyone.

Indy and their employees suck! They will be gone soon enough, it happens to all businesses that shit on customers. Just wait.

#25 ·
I want to also add, that I know that saying things like this against people in my own industry does not always bode well with other manufacturers, BUT I have NEVER in my 30 years in this business came across another business that has treated me so poorly, I did everything within my power to straighten things out, even called and talked to Russ when things were all over and asked what we can do to try and make this problem go away cause I did not like having those feelings, he basically told me to fuck off! :smt097 You must understand, this is a company that has the resources to do the right thing, but time and time again they choose not to.. Instead they choose to just spend their efforts and dollars on the big marketing machine they have created.

I work very closely with some of the biggest companies in the aftermarket, performance business, I have built long term, great relationships with many of them, without any serious problems, when we have a problem we work together to resolve it, end of story.. Many of these companies have the resources to deal with issues, and they do such. EVERYONE fucks up, I don't care how good you are.

So what I publicly say about Indy is in NO WAY a reflection of the relationships I have with others in the industry, many of them read this forum, I know that, and they know that I am telling the honest truth. I just want to set the record straight on that, cause I know the industry is in a lot of ways a close knit group and this can come across wrong.. But in this "unique" case I feel I have an OBLIGATION to tell my story to others, cause this is not an isolated situation, this is the norm for Indy Cylinder Head, this is their MO..

#26 ·
People has been told time and time again to NOT go through Indy for anything. There is lots of Indy WD dealers that takes care of relations or trouble encounters people run into.
Case In point
Last spring at the Classics I had money on hand to pick up My aluminum Indy Maxx block to save some shipping, the plan was to pick the block up and let a machinist/racer there take it back to MI with them...This would give m the opportunity to look at the block, maybe save a few dollars on shipping.
Some Phucking Suck ass had his nose so far up Russ's ass he wouldnt give me a minute to answer a few questions I had..Instead he wanted to keep talking to this motor mouth about a possible head gasket sale..
I had $7K in my pocket cash. I said phuck it. Finally another guy asked me if I needed something...I said well I had afew questions, but didnt want to waste Russ's time, or knock him out of the $100 head gasket sell over there....
The guys gave me strange look, I walked off.
I ended up Getting my block from Muscle Motors, and Best Machine done all the block work.
Going through dealers like Bob Goerge (what a hell of a guy) Mike at Muscle Motors, Todd Marsh, Chuck at Best Machine, Jeff Day, Jeff at Modern cylinder head, Dewayne Porter..
They can take of Problems, better than the average Joe, cause they are dealers...And we are the small fries.
As someone else mentioned, I would go B1, cause they just make more power.
But Indy has good products really, like everything else most problems encountered could be avoided or corrected during machining or assembly..Thats Why I chose Best Machine.
Im building a Hemi now, the wedge runs strong, has been 1.07 in 60ft and 144 in the 8th mile, n/a style.
If I would have went with B1 stuff, I could have made a easy 100 more hp, putting power level in the 4 digit range or damn close.

#39 ·
I can set you up with everything.I do all my own work.Current CNC port with valve job and bowl work flow 545 at .900
I have wedge pattern heads in stock,ported ready to ship.
Give me a call
Thanks,
Steve Gill
973-907-4474

#41 ·
4.800 B/S I have Hemi pattern heads but they need to be ported,valve job, etc.
I either have in stock or can get everything you need.Sheet metal manifolds are custom made per your engine specs so there is a 4-6 week wait time.
Give me a call,
Steve Gill
973-907-4474

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.