Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Diesel fuel gelling up... even with addatives.... HELP!

7K views 51 replies 30 participants last post by  TuffEnuff 
#1 ·
I like the idea of Bio-diesel...but, it's crap in the winter. Around Chicago, almost all of the pumps have 10-20% bio in them.

I have noticed a lot of people having problems even when temps are only in the 30's

I've added a ton of the "911" stuff and it helps a little...but, my fuel filter keeps getting gelled and I have to warm it up with a hand torch to get moving again.

Any ideas on what to do? I'm about ready to add a gallon of methanol to try an get this stuff to thin out a bit.

#34 ·
#35 ·
at our local ford dealer, we had 12 trucks come in today for this exact problem, replaced the fuel filters and cleaned the tanks, we cut all of the old filters open to find a pink orange jelly substance laying in the middle of the filter....... one thing that i know for a fact that does work that alot of semi guys are using is for their 100 gallon diesel tank they add 1 quart of gas to clean up the gelling... so for all of the 25-40 gallon ford chevy and duramax guys just add a little 1-2 ounces.... we tried it today and worked great......

#39 ·
The green goo that grows in bulk storage tanks doesent help the bio-fuel situation either. The combination of those two will bring you to a chugging halt with a plugged filter in the cold winter.

Always buy fuel from a very busy truck stop or station. those tanks for the most part are sediment free and keep multiple fresh bulk filters and screens in place and change/clean them often. (pumps gotta keep clicking)

#43 ·
You guys with big trucks have to check for water separators also, some petes and kenworths have them on the drivers side. They have a bronze fine mesh screen in them and they freeze up and make it act like a plugged filter, theyre hard to see on some of them because they bury them in the frame rails and paint them the same color and some are a major pain in the ass to get to.

#44 ·
always had good luck with powerservice and good fuel from a place that sells lots of diesel. 911 works good and I've heard alot of guys using a 5 gallons of gas in a 100 gal tank.

Sure there's no water in the fuel? After its sat a little bit loosen the drain plug on the tank a tad until something starts dripping out and see if you get water or fuel.
Even take off the fuel line from the top of the tank and off the filter mount and pour some alcohol in it at the filter end and see what comes out the other end.. might have some ice there.

#46 ·
3 gals of 911 and a brand new torpedo heater for 2 1/2 hrs and i got er going yesterday morning. i ususally put additive in but didnt have enough, oh well, i wanted a new heater anyways. have owned this truck for over 7 yrs and never had anything gel up like it did the other day.

#50 ·
Spent the whole day yesterday with gelled fuel i added 32 oz of 911 took the line off of the transfer pump blew air in the line to mixed it up in the tank. It was 2 below in missouri so much for global fucking warming

#52 ·
Update!!!

Ok, so I changed the fuel filter today....

But, before I put it on, I filled it with 50% "911" and 50% anti-gel additive....

Um yeah.... it choked and puked for about 30 seconds, belched a huge cloud of smoke.... then, ran like a top!!! :cool:

I think the last time I had an oil change (for semi's it's like a $200-$300 ordeal!) and I dont think the bastards changed my fuel filter like they were supposed to! It was stuck... like it had been there for years!:-damnit

So, the next time I have the oil changed, I will mark all of the filters with a sharpie so, i can check to make sure they were ACTUALLY changed!

Thanks for all your input guys! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.