Car Count in PX and PB? - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Pro Modified

Notices

Pro Modified Talk about Pro-Mod racing with censorship...

Old 06-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #1
superd54
Smoked Another SBC

Question Car Count in PX and PB?

Low car count in PX and PB, writing on the wall, lack of interest, novelty worn off, what's the deal?

Dave...
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
SAMMY CHRISTIAN
Launchin

Default Re: Car Count in PX and PB?

all of the above plus the expense.
SAMMY CHRISTIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
tim lewis
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMMY CHRISTIAN View Post
all of the above plus the expense.
Yep. Its ALL dying out a lot quicker than people wanna say it is.

The WORST photographer in drag racing

RPM Magazine Photojournalist
tim lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
beewsee
Spooled up

The only big class that has no problem with car counts is NHRA Pro Mod. Top Fuel is hurting, Pro Stock is hurting, PDRA is hurting. A sign of the times, I suppose.
beewsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
alkyholic
Pullin gears

it's all out of hand expense wise. everything except bracket racing travel expenses as well have gone out of control and the payouts have gone down as the expenses went up . jmo
alkyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
Jacknut
Pullin gears

My thoughts are this , TOO MUCH BOUNCING AROUND ! even from a fan standpoint . When you go to a NHRA event you know what your going to get, with pdra,ihra,adrl,etc. etc. its a crap shoot. You don't know for what your building how long you can race in a given series with it. You don't know if the series will exist you have a lot of variables over the last 12 years that have led to a thinking that is starting to show in car count ,fan count .. Not to put NHRA on stage BUT they have a solid foundation that people trust.. N.H.R.A. needs to start a new pro series that includes pro-mod , Radial ,10.5 , 8.5 and NO NITRO ! I could do with out the Force versus Schumacher series they have now.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:38 AM   #7
Mr. Haney
Spooled up

Jacknut , you hit the proverbial nail, on the head.
Nitro has become boring, especially with it " circus show" mentality.
Bring Outlaw sytle racing into the mix and NHRA will survive.
Mr. Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
Denny McLain
Smoked Another SBC

I had a nice post written about the decline of the car culture and went to a website to check a couple of numbers and when I came back to here to finish the post, everything I had written prior was gone. I hate posting on an iPad! Sooooo..... Take my word for it instead, the younger generation is more interested in Uber than owning a car. Sports car sales are down.

Lack of interest in cars in general.

Denny
Denny McLain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
Bryant28282000
Pullin gears

My opinion is:
1. Younger generation don't have the funding or desire to be an business owner.
2. In their eyes it's all about street imports
3. In their eyes it's all a waste of money 900 cubic motor at $89,000 and that is just the motor
4. What happen to the days of box trailers and dual wheel trucks? Everything one is rolling in $300,000 to $800,000 luxury homes on wheels. That's why there is no money to fund a race car. Look how much fuel just to get to the track in a freaking bus or toter
5. Constant rule change makes it a less desire sport.
6. Kids have no way of knowing what a race car is. We had model cars, race tracks and little match box cars. Most of the toys for boys model Monster trucks.
7. Names and themes attrack people. Most pro mods has nothing. It's really boring. Hats off to ED Burley his car sports Iron Man or Preditor.
Bryant28282000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
Ken Oath
Launchin

This may sound kinda tacky (non VHT), but many young people these days have a desire to be fit and hold having a good physic as pretty well the most important thing in their world. There's a reason so many gyms are popping into the market (in OZ anyway), and these kids are spending a great deal of their income on membership, supplements, healthy food, clothes etc. My dad in his 70's just said to me at the Winters warm up, that drag racing is full of extremely "healthy" individuals... Maybe that's not the scene these youngsters are after. Our import drags get a good turn out, no doubt because of the eye candy and bikini comps!

As far as car counts go, like as has been said who wants to build a car for a potentially redundant class. Maybe there should be like an A and B final (speedway style) for the 2 different types of racer - one for those with parts sacrificing budgets and another "carrot" for the other 70% of the field, yet both still incorporated into the headline show so all these expensive cars sitting in sheds that might be a couple of tenths off can still come for a shot at something, rather then just sitting waiting to be sold into Top sportsman vehicles a few more years down the track...

Last edited by Ken Oath; 06-05-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Ken Oath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #11
richard24
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Oath View Post
This may sound kinda tacky (non VHT), but many young people these days have a desire to be fit and hold having a good physic as pretty well the most important thing in their world. There's a reason so many gyms are popping into the market (in OZ anyway), and these kids are spending a great deal of their income on membership, supplements, healthy food, clothes etc. My dad in his 70's just said to me at the Winters warm up, that drag racing is full of extremely "healthy" individuals... Maybe that's not the scene these youngsters are after. Our import drags get a good turn out, no doubt because of the eye candy and bikini comps!

As far as car counts go, like as has been said who wants to build a car for a potentially redundant class. Maybe there should be like an A and B final (speedway style) for the 2 different types of racer - one for those with parts sacrificing budgets and another "carrot" for the other 70% of the field, yet both still incorporated into the headline show so all these expensive cars sitting in sheds that might be a couple of tenths off can still come for a shot at something, rather then just sitting waiting to be sold into Top sportsman vehicles a few more years down the track...
Everyone gets a trophy Professional drag racing always has and always will be an expensive sport whether you like it or not. Deal with it. There is no such thing as affordable heads up racing period. This is only a problem with a couple of classes in PRRA. NHRA has no problem filling their promod class.
richard24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
Yvonne
Smoked another BBC

I think PDRA is doing just fine. They had something like 120 entries in six classes when I did a quick count which is pretty awesome considering how many different race options there are out there. (That's not counting the other classes they have too.) PX will always be a smaller class. As they slowly integrate a few more rules that will probably hold the number steady where it is. A few people whine that they want to see no rules but then you will see fewer and fewer cars so its a trade off. Be careful what you wish for.

New race cars are being built every year. I think there's more Pro Mods now then there's ever been. More options on WHERE you can race now too and that does affect car count for certain areas. Of course, travel expenses play a part for many people.

As far as NHRA running small tire stuff, frankly they missed the boat on that when they failed to promote and grow the Unleashed program. You need to formulate a race series on the upswing, not late in the game. I give NHRA 100% props for keeping the organization running for over 60 years. A huge feat in itself. The other thing is I hate to hear folks complain about DSR and Force because those two teams have done more to bring in the younger generations than ANY other out there. They have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in driver development and crew chiefs and crew members. They are 110% committed to this sport and they deserve serious credit for their efforts IMO.

Nitro has always been a circus and FC has been worth the price of admission on its own! Sell out crowds two years in a row at several venues now and outstanding FOX coverage that keeps getting better every event! The best thing we can do is find a series you love and support that. Support your local track, get out there and enjoy some racing either by participating or spectating! Help the race orgs by "like and share"-ing their event flyers and results on social media too.
Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #13
Rickey
Spooled up

How many PB (1471 or turbo) can you name that can run 3.70s consistent?

How many PX cars can run 3.50s?
Rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #14
Bill Lutz
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey View Post
How many PB (1471 or turbo) can you name that can run 3.70s consistent?

How many PX cars can run 3.50s?
That's exactly the issue with both classes in my opinion. Just so many out there that's willing to spend the $$$$ to compete at that level.

Mickey Thompson tires and wheels
Xtreme Race Cars
Firecore 50 wires
Pro Torque Converters NY
Turbos by Garrett
Magnafuel Fuel pumps and regulators
PTP
Scott Braskett Race Cars
RPM & M&M Transmissions
The driveshaft shop
Haltech EFI
Induction Solutions

WWW.BILLLUTZRACING.COM
Bill Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #15
seanss454
Smoked another BBC

Its the same ol shit with all the classes. At least NHRA will make a change good or bad to work on side by side racing. But it all comes down to the pocket book. How many nos cars run 3.60's? 3-4 how many 3.60 pro boost cars 2-3. Px 3.50 cars? 4-6? Just does not make the series healthy. Nobody wants to tear there shit up and cannot afford to spend 50k just to go to a race. If PDRA ran pretty much in the south I bet car counts would be very strong. Money kils the series and that is the racers trying to outspend the other guy.
seanss454 is offline   Reply With Quote