Yellow Bullet Forums banner

arp rod bolt. wtf

25K views 147 replies 64 participants last post by  go green 
#1 ·
i have a brand new set of eagle h beam rods with arp 2000 bolts. anyone ever break a rod bolt torquing them down on the crank. i just broke one at 65ft lbs. what the fuck.

#13 ·
I know Chris Raschke, he is the Director of Sales and Marketing @ ARP, I will email him the link to this thread and I am sure he will get back to me with a response, I will let you know what he says..

Clear pics would be great, and he "may" want the bolt in question in his hands.

ARP is a GREAT Company, and they are very concerned when they hear about any problems..

#14 ·
i used the moly that came in the box. it clearly states 75ft lbs on the box and on there website.i started with 55ftlbs and went to 65 and it broke.it had a 7/16 12pt head. i will get a pics up tomorrow. i didnt have the camera with me at the shop. im pissed. it was on the second rod i put in. im not going any further until they replace all the bolts.

#29 ·
i used the moly that came in the box. it clearly states 75ft lbs on the box and on there website.i started with 55ftlbs and went to 65 and it broke.it had a 7/16 12pt head.

Whats the application ?? 7/16 head would be a 3/8 bolt ...what is the thread size ?? my 7/16 X 20 BBC ARP L-19's get 75 lbs ...3/8 X 24 get 44 with arp lube ...

#133 ·
It looks like the bolts necked down quite a bit for a 200,000 + psi bolt. Even if they were over torqued to failure, they shouldn't have stretched that far. I bet if you checked the hardness, that they are way down. The ARP website specs at 44-47 rockwell C for the 2000 bolt.

#31 ·
Lets just jump to the conclusion he over torqued it....... seems like what everyone would do.

without a cleaner picture, that looks like a bolt that wasnt properly heat treated and failed, the material in the center was to soft and stretched. The break lines in these bad pictures look to be nice and smooth, like it was popped off. Over torquing a bolt and breaking it, the break area is twisted in the direction of rotation.

#33 ·
Lets just jump to the conclusion he over torqued it....... seems like what everyone would do.

without a cleaner picture, that looks like a bolt that wasnt properly heat treated and failed, the material in the center was to soft and stretched. The break lines in these bad pictures look to be nice and smooth, like it was popped off. Over torquing a bolt and breaking it, the break area is twisted in the direction of rotation.

What was the stretch on that rod bolt?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.