Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Theres a better spectator turn out at an import race then ADRL

6K views 48 replies 30 participants last post by  wildbilldevine 
#1 ·
WTH do you have to say about that?

#4 ·
Dude, shouldn't you be at that import event. You know, with your 021 on sideways and your pants down to your knees; you original ink and the piercings that you hope shock the old folks, drooling over a fart can?

Just kidding, I don't know you. I don't get your point either. We like what we like and the younger generation like what they like! We're getting old and dying off. They're breeding! Whats your point?

#13 ·
The spectators are out there, just need to get them to the ADRL events. The last two Big Dog events at Piedmont Dragway have been standing room only. This is a small, local track who offers a good payout and a great show, with reasonably local home town heroes and everyone loves it. They charge $20 a head to get in the gate, and the place is packed every race. If they can do it, ADRL ought to be able to improve a lot, and I hope that they do.

#14 ·
Again the parking fee is brought up!!!! Like I said in another thread parking fees piss off paying spectators. Then you have the Big Dog deal charging $5 more per spectator and they fill the stands. ADRL should drop the parking fee and charge $15 for Friday and $20 for Saturday. With the economy they will not pull big numbers on Friday anyway because people will not take off work.

#15 ·
Just what we need. Another Adrl sucks thread. Sorry to say but if you're buddy doesn't have the extra 5 or 6 grand for the upgrades he doesn't have the money it takes to run Adrl either way.

#16 · (Edited)
For some budgets, that's all it takes to make the difference of coming or not coming. Sometimes all it takes to make someone realize that to them it is not worth the trouble. That's my story in particular. I have gone to ADRL races as a spectator since Dragstock 2007 at Rockingham, and when they added TS I was really looking forward to attending the Norwalk and Zmax events. Then the new rules came out and I decided it was not worth all that for 2-3 races a year in that series. I know I'm not the only guy.

Not to mention they originally said TS would be a 32 car field. Well, now it's a 16 car field and I can't run fast enough to qualify in the 16. So even though I had considered getting their required safety equipment, now I know I can't make the show so I'm sure not going to try now. How many other guys do you think won't even come out and try because they know they can't run low 4.30s and get in the 16 car field? Quite a few I would imagine.

I'm not bad mouthing the ADRL, like I said before I am a fan and I would like to be a participant. I'm 24 years old and go to school full time, and work very hard to be able to run my car. It's just not worth it at this time for me, when I can go to local races that follow NHRA/IHRA safety rules and also have good payouts.

#22 ·
Live feed quality is much improved. Haven't had any issues all the time I've been on. Also think Kepner is doing a great job explaining the classes. The other announcer is the Maple Grove guy. I think the announcing team is doing an excellent job. One thing I saw yesterday which then disappeared was a creeper across the bottom indicating qualifying postions for each class. Bummer to see that go away. Other than that, all good.

Irked I couldn't make it to the track today. Anyone have a first hand account of just how many spectators are there?

#23 ·
I just wish they'd get the sound fixed...my ears are bleeding form the over modulation. I know they have tried to fix it...I've texted with Fortune and it's the radio station. They need to turn the output of the radio station down...if that doesn't fix it, then turn down the input. Beyond that, the feed is decent for a single camera.

#26 ·
how many shit box fart cans you see driving around... LOTS.. many get hard ons for seeing an import try to make a fast pass. regardless its all good for the sport. im watching the adrl live feed now and it looks like it would be a good event. next year ill prob go, i may have gone today if didnt have to work this morning

#29 ·
i was there yesterday from 10am-10:30pm more meeting up with YB friends. i will say maybe 50-75 people in the stands. i think the big thing is it takes like 5minutes a run. lots and lots of nothing going on. i was sitting drinking beer getting bored with nothing running. car does a burnout and then sits for 2-3 minutes before staging wth?? people dont want to go sit all day to watch cars sitting at the line. plus ontop of all that it was supposed to rain around 2pm but got lucky and it didnt till around 8pm or so

#30 ·
We do not listen to conventional radio in our shop so we herd 0 advertisement that they were in town. I think grass roots type of promoting would help put some fans in the seats. They may need to hire a guy like Mike Hill that knows how to get the word out with flyer's. Our shop is 30 min from the grove. Would have loved the ADRL to use it as a tool for getting the word out.

#32 ·
i'm not saying the northern and western fans aren't loyal so please dont freak at my next statement.........promods and the adrl where born in the south. packed houses of promod fans fill the stands every weekend somewhere in the ga,al,tn,miss. venues. when they decided to branch the adrl out they moved a little but remained in the mindset that this was a "southern thing" aka 1/8 mile promod. when you adevertise in topeka or michigan about promods they go "well maybe". when you say the adrl is coming to valdosta you can bet your ass it's gonna be full. the car counts were full, the stands were full, and they made one hell of a show. same with rockingham, memphis, huntsville, montgomery, etc......how many of those venues remain on the adrl schedule?

#34 ·
I assume you're talking about IFO Vegas? If so....I'm sure it was a good event. I was at the ADRL all weekend. I live 60 miles away from Maple Grove, and my Napa store had never even heard of the ADRL, but I was reading online that I could get $5.00 off discount tickets there. With all that being said:

I went both days, the first day they gave me $5.00 off at the gate, and yesterday I had a free ticket. I had a great, GREAT time! Those fields were plenty tight, and the racing was very close, including quite a few holeshot victories. I'm not a huge 1/8 mile fan, but being that we only race 1/4 mile, going to an 1/8 mile event was a nice change of pace. Those guys and girls are some serious drivers! The crowd was small on Saturday (threat of rain ALL day) and a very respectable crowd yesterday. We usually pack the place when we race, so I don't know what crowd numbers people are expecting for when Domestic cars race each other.

#35 ·
Great info Shawn! The spectator numbers looked better for Sat than Fri based on the various pictures I've seen on line. If the ADRL is peeking in on these threads, I suggest canvas a 50 to 75 mile radius of the track and hit every parts store and hot rod shop available with flyers.

#36 ·
Guys any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated ....lets work together to come up with a top-10 suggestion list...here is one (1) that is tough but must happen...

1) Get more National Sponsors ! Get more $$ in house which would allow for increased payouts and more racer benefit programs...easier said then done but must figure out how to unlock the sponsor safe !

#43 ·
You bring in the fans and you will bring in the sponsors! Fans have to know about the race and that is only done through advertising. There are numerous ways to advertise that do not cost tons of money, but require time. Bring back the guy's who came into the race 2 weeks before the event and handed out tickets. This time instead of tickets, hand out flyers. Think about the amount of area a couple of folks could cover in 2 weeks leading up to the race.

The ADRL staying in business will only benefit our style of drag racing.

#40 ·
It needs to be on a channel like espn for fans to have a chance to watch it. Not everyone has internet in this economy and mavtv is not on basic satellite and cable . I agree with the midway needs to be bigger. The midway was a lot better when the National Guard was sponsoring it. It had more car displays and more stuff to buy from vendors. Quicker time between classes. maybe put the slowest classes first and step up to the fastest like nhra. Dont charge parking fees just add fees to the tickets. Why charge 15 and give out $5 off tickets when you can just charge $10 straight up it creates too much confusion.Park the same class cars together so fans can find their favorite driver easier. Just some observations I made from going to the race yesterday. I am not criticizing I love ADRL.

#41 ·
my idea of how to fix the issues at hand....start with a complete reset button on thought process. book from east texas to ga. to tenn/nc , no farther north. Meet with the tracks you have in the old schedules such as valdosta and hoh, fix the cut ties (you already screwed with the money so changing what portion the track receives wont be a big deal). get with the promod racers in their respective turfs to help with "word of mouth" advertising and back it up with a few advance commercials on either radio or local stations. ask or contact your local racers and ask them who might be interested in sponsoring races in that venue, use them like a national sponsor for that weekend then move to the next location. and last but not least, remember that you may want this series to be loaded with multi-million dollar rigs with national sponsors, but that ain't promod. keep your mind placed on the fact that the "little guys" can show up to your show and WILL, but a small team cannot upgrade 5-6k dollars worth of upgrades every winter because you get a wild hair up your tech guys butt......."it's outlaw promod stupid".......

#45 ·
Been saying this since the current management / tech guy came on board. The local racers and fans is what it takes to promote the races in the area of the race and if NHRA doesn't require it as a safety item running 1/4 mile then no 1/8th mile race should require it.

#44 ·
definately need some advertising. i seen it on here and i follow maple grove on facebook but they didnt really talk it up at all on there. i listen to philly radio stations and i hear more things about englishtown events then anything else. what the big nhra events do is pull in tons of families that arent really into cars like we are. i think you cant just rely on the diehards to show up as spectators. throw it out there that you have a jet funny car and fireworks and you would get that many more people to show up. kids love that shit

#46 ·
I remember when the Pro Mod section first started and it was just of few of us discussing stuff. Now it's gotten to be about like trash or be trashed with all the clueless idiots around here. Leaves me beating my head against the wall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.