Yellow Bullet Forums banner

What is the best gas engine in a class C rv?

24K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Powerhead 
#1 ·
What is the "best" all around? The Ford 460, V10, or the Chevy 454, the 8.1, or the 6.0 ls engine? I know gas milage will suck no matter what....

I also know 80% are going to be a Ford based chassis, but is it worth waiting and shopping for the Chevrolet chassis and engine? Now I know that people are going to be brand loyal, but I want whats best for the job. I am a Chevy guy, but if Ford has the best drivetrain, so be it. Thanks for the input.

#6 ·
The 460s are notorious for exhaust port and manifold issues. I have a 1996 with a 460 with 52,000 miles on it and I ended up with this the other day. Apparently it happened prior to my buying it and it was hard to locate a decent F3 series head for it. Lots of pre-93 fuel injection E series heads. I got lucky and found one at Advance Auto they had in stock nearby but lots of cylinder head guys, salvage yards, etc all told me how hard they were to get.

#7 · (Edited)
Imho, look for one with the V-10...good power and best mileage. I've never seen a 460 head break like the pic above but, the 460's are bad about blowing manifold gaskets out. I always have the manifolds flat milled then clean the heads really good and use Walker black exhaust sealant between the two...no gasket or anymore problems after that. The BBC's have nearly the same exhaust problems too.

#16 ·
Imho, look for one with the V-10...good power and best mileage. I've never seen a 460 head break like the pic above but, the 460's are bad about blowing manifold gaskets out. I always have the manifolds flat milled then clean the heads really good and use Walker black exhaust sealant between the two...no gasket or anymore problems after that. The BBC's have nearly the same exhaust problems too.
I just got mine running with the new head and used the exhaust gasket that had the silver heat resistant material on it and put that side out toward the manifold and used some Permatex on the inside and towed to MIR this weekend and it pressed out on one of the cylinders. The manifold wasn't warped but wasn't machined either. These things suck! Headers over the winter.:smt102

#8 ·
I have a 1999 class C 25' with a V-10 and love it. We pull a 26' trailer and get 8mpg towing at 65-70mph. Even at 98 degrees outside temperature the temp gauge never went up to halfway. The biggest downfall that I see with the Ford is the brakes. They tend to heat up in stop and go traffic. If anyone know what to do to solve the problem, I would appreciate knowing what to do.

#11 ·
i had a carb 454,
we put the stainless exhaust manifolds. had the carb and dist recurved by a local stock racer.. and that sob was great never had any issues and pulled a 11,000pnd trailer all over the country for 6years.. i did 64,000 miles and two transmissions. last trans was right before i sold it.
gas mileage was 4-7 mpg but i was in my whole set up around 14g so it takes shit ton of gas to justify just the price of a new truck..

#12 ·
I'm a mechanic for the city. Along with everything else we maintain the bus fleet. They use several E450s for handicap transportation. I cant speak for the GM engine in this application but we have been using the v10 Ford since it came out and the 460 before that. I'm a Chevy guy but that v10 is one tough engine. These drivers go balls to the wall 12 hrs a day in city traffic and I have yet to see a major problem occur. Most of them have upwards of 140k miles. Only problem I see may be an occasional coil or broken exhaust stud.

#14 ·
Wow, the city stuff is a true test of reliability for sure. People driving that stuff do not care at all.... If it breaks, they just put it out and get another rig....

#20 ·
Between you and Green Bean with his 455, you guys have me thinking. Realistically speaking, just how hard would these swaps be? Any engine bay big enough for a 454 would gladly accept a 455 or 500. Besides (complete) motor, mounts and exhaust, what about oil pan sump location, bell housing pattern and the such. Just what does it take?

#17 ·
Wish I had had a chance to find out.

I had the 440 rebuilt in my RV. Edelbrock Alum heads, intake and carb. Milage cam with headers and quench pistons. Made 430 ponies on the dyno with reg gas.

During the building process I had some health problems and haven't put any miles on it yet.

There it just sits in the yard. Any takers?

#18 ·
I've had a Class A 460 and a V-10. The 460 had the full Banks kit and ran real good. BUT the V-10 kicks it's ass.

As stated above, the V-10 loves the right hand side of the tach.

#22 ·
What would the conversion consist of if starting with a 454?

#24 ·
Gm cant build a good truck motor...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.