Yellow Bullet Forums banner

WD40

12K views 91 replies 28 participants last post by  55project 
#1 ·
anyone use it on lures or baits, I had 2 guys tell me it really works but its illegal

#2 ·
anyone use it on lures or baits, I had 2 guys tell me it really works but its illegal

i have used it for about two years now. I am not much of a fisherman but i like to go on a wreck trips for ling and seabass and i also go stripper fishing and works like a charm. I dont know if it is illeagal in NJ But i should look on the Division of fish and game to see if it is illeagal in NJ. If so I will stop doing it.

#35 ·
i have used it for about two years now. I am not much of a fisherman but i like to go on a wreck trips for ling and seabass and i also go stripper fishing and works like a charm. I dont know if it is illeagal in NJ But i should look on the Division of fish and game to see if it is illeagal in NJ. If so I will stop doing it.

G'damn my hat's off to ya, not often you hear something like this on the bullet. Thanks for acting responsibly.

#6 ·
HUUUUMMMM lets see intentionally putting oil into the water, even if it worked to catch a fish what about the ones it may kill? of course its illegal, use some skills and or a biodegradable purpose built attractant that will more in likely work way better! Just Say'n !!! :smt102

Main ingredients for WD-40, from the material safety data sheet, are:

* 50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, somewhat similar to, but not the same as, kerosene)
* 25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)
* 15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
* 10-%: Inert ingredients

#11 ·
Some claim they catch more fish with a wd40 sprayed lure than a clean one. I've heard stories about this since the stuff first came on the market. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I will next time out.

How to Catch More Fish Using WD-40 to Attract Them

By J H Kersey
User-Submitted Article Article Rating: (12 Ratings)

WD-40 Lubricant

Everyone who likes to fish is always looking for another way to increase the bite to enable them to catch more fish and hopefully larger fish as well. A little known urban legend is that WD-40 contains fish oil. If it does it would make it a terrific fish attractant. It is also cheaper than using other chemical attractants that are available on the market today. The company that makes WD-40 has safeguarded the formula since it was invented and denies that it contains fish oil. WD-40 was developed in 1953 by technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company who were searching for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. The name comes from the formulation “Water Displacement” (WD) and they were successful with the 40th formulation, thus the name WD-40. Try some the next time you go out fishing and see if the results prove the urban legend true. The most you have to lose is that your lures will be lubricated and resist rust.

Difficulty: Easy
Instructions

Things You'll Need:

• <LI itxtvisited="1">WD-40 <LI itxtvisited="1">Fishing lures or live bait <LI itxtvisited="1">Fishing rod and reel
  • Fishing tackle
  1. <LI itxtvisited="1">Step 1
    Set up your fishing tackle as you would normally and decide if you are using live bait or artificial lures.
    <LI itxtvisited="1">Step 2
    Spray a small amount on the live bait or lures and then fish as normal. As an additional benefit spraying lures polishes and helps keep them corrosion free. You can also lubricate your fishing reel knobs and internal reel parts.
  2. Step 3
    Some states do not allow chemical laced baits or lures for fishing so check with your local fish and wildlife agencies prior to using any fish attractant. Also the people at bait shops should know if there are any problems with using chemical attractants in the areas that you plan to fish.

#8 ·
It will take the stink off your fingers when using cat fish dip bait. Anything that causes an oil slick can't be good for the water. WD40 is a water displacing lubricant. The 40th formula they tried. Great for keeping your reels working with ice forming. While it seems to clean a gun, it does leave a build up after a while, that is very hard to remove.

#10 ·
WD-40

A lady got up very early one morning and went outside to pickup the Sunday paper, she noticed someone had sprayed red paint all around the sides of the neighbors brand new beige truck.
She went over and woke him up and gave him the bad news. He was, of course extremely upset.
And they stood there trying to figure out what could be done about the problem. They decided there wasn't much recourse but to wait until Monday, since nothing was open.
Just then another neighbor came out of his house, surveyed the situation and immediately went to get his WD-40 out and cleaned the red paint off with it.
Guess What! It cleaned up that paint without harming the original paint on the truck! I'm impressed!!

Water Displacement #40. The product began from a search for A rust preventative solvent and de greaser to protect Missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three T echnicians at t he San Diego Rocket Chemical Company.
Its name comes from the project that was to find a
'water displacement' compound.
They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you...'
IT IS MADE FROM FISH OIL' .
When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door.
If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It is a miracle!
Then try it on your stovetop... It is now shinier than it has ever been before.

1) Protects silver from tarnishing.
2) Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3) Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4) Gives floors that `just-waxed` sheen without making it slippery.
5) Keeps flies off cows.
6) Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7 ) Removes lipstick stains.
8) Loosens stubborn zippers.
9) Untangles jewelry chains.
10) Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11) Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12) Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
13) Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14) Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15) Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
16) Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17) Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes
18) It removes black scuff m arks from the kitchen floor! Open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
19) Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car.
removed quickly, with WD-40!
20) Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21) Lubricates gear shift on lawn mowers.
22) Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23) Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24) Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25) Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, well as vinyl bumpers.
26) Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27) Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28) Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
29) Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30) Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
31) Removes splattered grease on stove.
32) Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33) Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34) Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35) Removes all traces of duct tape.
36) Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain
37) Florida's favorite use 'Cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'
38) Protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
39) WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time.
40) Ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
41) WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
42) If you've washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and Presto! Lipstick is gone!
43) If you spray WD-40 on the distributor cap, it will displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

Keep a can of WD-40 in your kitchen cabinet. It is good for oven burns or any other type of
burn. It takes the burned feeling away and heals with NO scarring.
Remember, the basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

#16 ·
I don't think it's a stupid law, how would you like to ingest an petroleum product into your body. And as far as getting caught all the fish and game have to do is use binoculars or sneak up on you and watch what you are doing. I have seen them being sneaky like that.

#19 ·
It's illegal in most states if not all. Back years ago the old guys use to dip thier lures in motor oil and it worked, then the sprays came out, not as bad as straight oil, but just as illegal in the Game Commisions eyes. Doesn't matter what we think, it's thier game thier rules. We just have to pay the fines..

I always have some kinda spray lube in my tackle bag, but only for hitting the reel and guides once and a bit. Never tried it on a lure. Too many baits work just fine,..

Happy Fishing..

#22 ·
Its illegal here in Cali... Learn to fish the right way, using the right lures, jigs, plastics, baits so on, and you should catch fish... know what to use for conditions, fish, ect. learn how to jig the lures and so on.... you should see the shit i go out with in salt water.. Im usually set up from sand/calico bass, scuplin all the way up to sharks...

#24 ·
my father ownes a marina and tackle shop here in dade city fl.and i always hear old timers talking about wd-40 and i got to thinkin about it and compared a can of BANG to wd-40 and alot of the contense are the same except the scent that is added to the bang fish attractents.

#25 ·
I tried it and didn't catch a god damn thing! Jury is still out. Going to give her another shot this weekend.

#26 ·
Fish have a unreal sense of "taste". Handling a pike while walleye fishing will almost certainly reduce your catch. Northern pike eat walleye and are enemies. If you get slime from a pike on your line, bait or lure after handling the pike, walleyes will be less likely to track your bait. When pro walleye fishing; most will change lures if they accidentally catch a pike. People who keep minnows in the same live well as northers while walleye fishing are going to have a rough day. Wash your hands with a mild soap and skip the wd40, it doesnt work.

#27 ·
Fish have a unreal sense of "taste". Handling a pike while walleye fishing will almost certainly reduce your catch. Northern pike eat walleye and are enemies. If you get slime from a pike on your line, bait or lure after handling the pike, walleyes will be less likely to track your bait. When pro walleye fishing; most will change lures if they accidentally catch a pike. People who keep minnows in the same live well as northers while walleye fishing are going to have a rough day. Wash your hands with a mild soap and skip the wd40, it doesnt work.
Ditto.. My father in-law insisted when he taught me to Ice fish that when I tip-up fished to keep anything Northern seperated from my walleye stuff. He swore by not cross contaminating and he was an amazing Ice fisherman.

#36 ·
As far as it working goes although fish have a very sensitive "smell" they also have a brain like my first boss, "small and shaped like a peanut' with that in mind think where oil comes from and its not hard to see why a petroleum would trigger the strike mechanism of the small peanut shaped mass known as the fish brain. And no you do not have to repaint bobbers because, "them trout are smart" when they see the writing it scares the fish off, like I have heard when in the company of cheesballer trout fish r men.

#39 ·
Where do I get one. Never seen anytrhing like it.

#44 ·
When I got mine they were $400. A year later they sent me an email saying they had gone up to $500 and were going up to $550. They were giving me an option to buy another one before they went up to $550. I haven't checked the price lately though. If like to eat fish and have plenty of places you could get away with using it at don't worry about the price. Knowing what I know now about this thing, I would pay $1000 for one in a heartbeat. My freezer is full of fish right now because of this thing. Smith Root in Vancouver makes fish shockers too but their cheapest "backpack" model starts at $4500 and goes all the way to commercial shockinig tanks for processing plants that run around $20,000. The guy that turned me on to these is in MS and has besically become the US spokesperson for them due to loving the one he has. He has a smith root boat mounted model and says he would rather throw his smith root away than sell his electrofisher.

#45 ·
When I got mine they were $400. A year later they sent me an email saying they had gone up to $500 and were going up to $550. They were giving me an option to buy another one before they went up to $550. I haven't checked the price lately though. If like to eat fish and have plenty of places you could get away with using it at don't worry about the price. Knowing what I know now about this thing, I would pay $1000 for one in a heartbeat. My freezer is full of fish right now because of this thing. Smith Root in Vancouver makes fish shockers too but their cheapest "backpack" model starts at $4500 and goes all the way to commercial shockinig tanks for processing plants that run around $20,000. The guy that turned me on to these is in MS and has besically become the US spokesperson for them due to loving the one he has. He has a smith root boat mounted model and says he would rather throw his smith root away than sell his electrofisher.
It seems like you could get into a whole lot of legal issues with that thing. Jail time?

#46 ·
In most states: "The use of explosives,firearms, chemicals (not including fish scents), spring devices, or electricity for taking fish is unlawful."
(this includes wd40 by the way)
In Minnesota, rumor has it they can confiscate your vehicle, boat and all item in your possession if you get caught.
Way to be a sportsman. :(

#48 ·
In most states: "The use of explosives,firearms, chemicals (not including fish scents), spring devices, or electricity for taking fish is unlawful."
(this includes wd40 by the way)
In Minnesota, rumor has it they can confiscate your vehicle, boat and all item in your possession if you get caught.
This is a true possibility for most states but what you stated above almost always applies only to public waters. They cannot tell you what you can do with your fish in your pond.

Way to be a sportsman. :(
I will be the first to admit that I AM NOT a sportsman by any stretch of the imagination. Actually I hate sportsman fishers and hunters. They do way more harm to the environment than good. They are good for business and that's it. Don't get me wrong though. I'm no envronmentalists either. I just don't believe in people dragging fish out of the that water with a hook in their throat for their own personal pleasure just to throw it back so they do it again later all at the expense of the fish's well being. I fish and hunt for food only and eat everything I catch and shoot. Sportsman do not do this and I don't agree with that.

#54 ·
Catch and Release fishing is here to stay. Fish caught on adequate tackle with proper bait and hooks are rarely gut hooked and usually live. Although I am sure you mean well I think you should think about this,

I catch and release fish for fun, and I eat fish from the supermarket for dinner. If you think that catching fish like bass and eating them is a good thing...thank god there are not nearly as many people like you around as there are catch and release fisherman, if one half of fisherman decided tommorow to start keeping all the fish they could eat instead of buying them from the store the ponds lakes and rivers would soon be in bad shape, there are way to many people living in this country to utilize the fresh water fisheries for a food source.

Richard G

#57 ·
Catch and Release fishing is here to stay.
Unfortunately.

Fish caught on adequate tackle with proper bait and hooks are rarely gut hooked and usually live.
I've fished all my life with regular hook and line with the proper bait/tackle. I can assure you it happens plenty of times especially with panfish. Also happens with largemouth bass when a smaller one is taking the bait and you can't tell for sure if there's a fish on or not until it's swallowed the hook. This will happen every fishing trip at least a time or two if you catch anything to speak of at all.

I catch and release fish for fun, and I eat fish from the supermarket for dinner.
Thank you for admiting you are fishing for the wrong reason. I love to eat bass and bluegill. It's illegal to sell those in this state exept for fish farms selling stock for ponds so if you want to eat those, which is perfectly legal, you have to go catch them yourself plus they are virtually free compared to fish at the store.

If you think that catching fish like bass and eating them is a good thing...thank god there are not nearly as many people like you around as there are catch and release fisherman, if one half of fisherman decided tommorow to start keeping all the fish they could eat instead of buying them from the store the ponds lakes and rivers would soon be in bad shape
Here's where you are mistaken about the point I'm trying to make. I'm not at all saying half or all of the catch and release fishermen should start keeping what they catch. Obviously they don't want to eat them anyway or they wouldn't be practicing C & R. What I'm saying is (gasp) THEY SHOULDN"T BE FISHING AT ALL IF THEY HAVE NO INTENTIONS OF KEEPING ANY TO EAT. Let me clue you in on something. God did not put animals on this earth for you to use as ornaments on your wall.

there are way to many people living in this country to utilize the fresh water fisheries for a food source.
Yes there is but this is not a problem because not enough people will do this for it to become the problem you're talking about. I guess this also depends on what obama does to us.

#55 ·
If you attempt to go into a waterway or the woods to catch, shot release or kill and animal or fish, WITH a license, Your a Sportsman. Without, your a poacher.. By Game Commission laws.. And if your using the electrical toy to catch fish in the U.S., you know your poaching.. I would like to see it used, but only in the right hands for the right reason. Shit, i could hit my favorite fishing holes and get a trophy every time out, not very sporting to me...

And I love to go out for the day and catch fish, some i eat and some i release. Some days i go for the sole purpose of keeping and other days just to have fun. It's just nice to be away from the house and the crowds. Either way, i do it by the laws set and i consider myself a decent sportsman.

Fisherman and hunters are all sportsman and our money does go back into the wildlife programs that are out there.

As people that dragrace, and i have been doing it since the 70's, i have never seen our money go back into anything except the track owners pockets. Which is fine..

But to say hunter and fisherman do more harm than good is just out in left feild..

I guess when a car at the track blows a motor the leaking oil is just fine leaching in the ground?? Or maybe the chemicals they use to clean and prep a track is really good for the enviorment ? How about the levels of lead and other thing from the fuels we use? I guess as racers, we're not Sportsman if we are doing more harm than good??..

I would think that racing is really a worse deal for the world we live in than a few people floating in a boat or sitting in the woods ....

But i'm not giving up any of the above, I LOVE doing them ALL..

And i'm a Sportsman..........

#58 ·
If you attempt to go into a waterway or the woods to catch, shot release or kill and animal or fish, WITH a license, Your a Sportsman.
I do have a liscense but I'm no sportsman as defined by "sportsmans" actions.

And if your using the electrical toy to catch fish in the U.S., you know your poaching.
This is where you are very sadly mistaken. It is perfectly legal if used under the right circumstances in the right place.

I would like to see it used, but only in the right hands for the right reason. Shit, i could hit my favorite fishing holes and get a trophy every time out, not very sporting to me...
You are mistaken again. You say this for the same reason everybody that doesn't like this thing does. You are either misinformed as to how it works, you are nothing but a sportsman or both. You are very sadly mistaken if you think you will come home with a trophy after every trip. Many times you will not see a fish at all. All the opposers of this device think all you do is stick a couple of wires in the water and all the fish in the pond jump in your boat. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I've been countless times and saw nothing worth keeping or nothing at all but on average I will catch more fish than the average person fishing with a reel all while not harming a single fish in the process. Also this thing does not work very well at all in cold water but hooks do.

And I love to go out for the day and catch fish, some i eat and some i release. Some days i go for the sole purpose of keeping and other days just to have fun.
Ok then you should do something else on the days you don't want to keep anything.

Fisherman and hunters are all sportsman and our money does go back into the wildlife programs that are out there.
Liscense money goes back into wildlife programs like paying for game warden's salary. I buy a liscense every year.

As people that dragrace, and i have been doing it since the 70's, i have never seen our money go back into anything except the track owners pockets. Which is fine..
Track owners don't use the money they make to update/upgrade the tracks we all race on?

But to say hunter and fisherman do more harm than good is just out in left feild..
I never said this at all. I said sportsmen do more harm than good. I'm a hunter and fisherman but not a sportsman and I make sure I do no harm to the environment. Sportsman deer hunters (not all but as a whole) go hunt for a big buck only and will not shoot anything else while many won't even eat what they shoot but rather give the meat away if they don't throw it in the ditch after cutting the head off. This is not good for the deer population. It causes over population with smaller and sickly deer due lack of food available.

guess when a car at the track blows a motor the leaking oil is just fine leaching in the ground??
Actually it won't hurt a damn thing until masses of people start doing it.

Or maybe the chemicals they use to clean and prep a track is really good for the enviorment ? How about the levels of lead and other thing from the fuels we use? I guess as racers, we're not Sportsman if we are doing more harm than good??..
None of this is enough to really hurt anything.

#61 ·
> by hoosierdaddy,,

I will be the first to admit that I AM NOT a sportsman by any stretch of the imagination. Actually I hate sportsman fishers and hunters. They do way more harm to the environment than good. .

You stated that you never said this, Well, it's in your previous post...

And i really doubt that using your elec device is very legal in any state, and the you state that you release any fish under sized, but you hate people that catch and release?? That seems to be catch and release to me?? And i know for fact that some if not many fish that get shocked, in Game Comm surveys, some never survive the release. So they are use for study..

I'm not here to argue, i just like seeing what other sportsman catch. This post is getting way out of hand. Write what you want, and i'll fish and hunt by the book and feel good about doing so. After all, what i throw back or pass up on, will someday be someones trophy. And i'm proud to do so..

You want to shock fish for a meal, knock yourself out, your not wasting it, so i'll give you that much. But that's all..

Enjoy..

#65 ·
You stated that you never said this, Well, it's in your previous post...
Show me where I said I never said anything in what you quoted me on. I can assure you've got something wrong or there is some clarification needed. Probably clarification needed since somebody thinks me not keeping everything I see is c & r fishing.

And i really doubt that using your elec device is very legal in any state
I can assure you there are states where electrofishing is legal in public waters. Don't believe me, check it out for yourself. I know for a fact it's legal in private waters in AL as long as you have written permission from the pond owner or person in legal control of said pond or have that person with you. It is not legal in public waters or to even have on the banks of public waters in AL whether working or not.

and the you state that you release any fish under sized, but you hate people that catch and release?? That seems to be catch and release to me??
There is a very big difference between people fishing to c & r only knowing they will not keep anything unless, god forbid, they catch something they could mount on the wall and somebody that keeps the "keepers" but returns the "nonkeepers" so they can have a chance to grow up. You've obviously got sense enough to make it to the internet so I'm sure you are capable of understanding that.

And i know for fact that some if not many fish that get shocked, in Game Comm surveys, some never survive the release. So they are use for study..
This rarely ever happens but is possible with what they use due to the fact that it's a much stronger, higher powered unit than what I use so as to cover a much bigger area at one time than I can. I've watched the DNR do this at my local county lake and not one sigle fish was harmed. Every one swam away. I have not been able to kill a single fish with mine. I promise I have tried when a fish came up I knew I wanted to keep but didn't want it flopping around in the boat. I can't do it so I stopped trying.

I'm not here to argue, i just like seeing what other sportsman catch.
Then maybe you should start doing some research before you start spouting off what you think is legal and illegal.

Write what you want, and i'll fish and hunt by the book and feel good about doing so.
I do too but nowhere in our hunting/fishing laws does it say you should c & r or shoot only trophy bucks.

After all, what i throw back or pass up on, will someday be someones trophy. And i'm proud to do so..
Same thing here with fish I don't keep but I would not be happy if I found out a big bass I let go ended up on somebody's wall and the meat was wasted so they could mount it.

You want to shock fish for a meal, knock yourself out, your not wasting it, so i'll give you that much. But that's all..
That's all I'm supposed to get. I eat what I take and don't take more than I can use or more than the supply can handle=no waste and no harm to the supply. For the life of me I just can't understand why some people, that are not even sportsman fishers/hunters, get their panties in such a wad over this thing. I guess the main thing is they don't understand how it works and usually won't listen to an explaination. They always think you're going to clean the water out and that's just not true nor possible. I've tried this too for a guy that had a leaking pond dam and wanted to move all the fish he could to another pond before he found them floating on the water. I got about 1/3rd the fish out of a half full pond (26 bass 2.5-5 lbs and 1 catfish in 1 1/2 hrs) and that was trying to clean out a small pond that needed repair.

Oh I will. One bite at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.