Yellow Bullet Forums banner

The Official ORP Friday Night Rage Rules

33K views 509 replies 65 participants last post by  B-1Duster 
#1 ·
Outlaw ProMod

12-15-10
1. General
a. Class description: Outlaw Pro Mod is a heads-up maximum effort class for all vehicles bearing drivers and passengers doors.
b. Designation: OPM Followed by permanent number.
c. Format: 1/8 mile heads-up class run on a .400 pro tree with a pro ladder. auto start is in effect. Time Out is 7 seconds
d. Burn Out: Over the line burn outs are allowed (and encouraged).
e. Qualifying: Every attempt will be made to initially qualify cars in the lane you wish. Due to time restraints if single lines form cars will be dispersed every other car to open lane. Run lane will be marked on stage ticket. It is mandatory to alternate lanes after initial qualifying pass. Lane choice goes to higher qualifier first round, and then the faster car from previous round.
f. Scales: After qualifying all participants must pass over scales your run is validated at this time. In Eliminations you must pass over scales if you have won. If a car fails to make weight the opponents is reinstated, if opponent’s car is of legal weight. It is the responsibility of a competitor to verify his / her weight before run.
g. Call to Lanes: Three calls to the lanes will be made. If car is not ready to compete with diver belted in when class is called to the starting line, opponent will be granted a competition bye.
h. Staging lanes: Cooling will be allowed in the staging lanes. Cooling must be self-contained on a cart. No expulsion of ANY liquids is allowed in the lanes. Please be courteous to your lane neighbors. When not in the lanes your equipment must be secured away from lanes in designated area. It is YOUR responsibility to know where this designated spot is.
i. Bye Run: All vehicles must take the tree and run down the track to be considered a win.
j. Waste Oil: Collection centers are provided throughout the pits. Waste oil must be dumped in these bins. Contaminated oil (CONTAMINATION = ANYTHING BUT PURE ENGINE OIL). Must be taken with you when you leave.
k. Contingency: It is the competitor’s responsibility to fill out a contingency form and have it verified at the scales. Competitor then turns contingency form in at pay out.
l. Pay Out: Payout is located second floor of tower second door on left.
m. General NHRA Rules: This is an NHRA race and all vehicles will adhere to NHRA rule book and its latest addendums.
n. Driver: Must hold a Current and Valid NHRA Competition License appropriate to type of car, ET and speed.
o. Disputes: Starter, tech and or Race directors’ decision is final.
p. Clarification: All clarification must be submitted in email form to indytech@nhra.com. No phone calls.

2. Body: Steel, aluminum, fiberglass and carbon fiber bodies and body parts are allowed as long as the car retains its original appearance and profile. Wheel well openings can be modified for tire clearance. The drivers and passenger doors must be fully operational and must open from the outside.

3. Engine: Any Combination allowed.

4. Oil Containment: All vehicles will be required to utilize an NHRA-accepted lower engine oil-retention device. The lower engine containment device must cover the sides of the block and pan up to one inch of the head mating surface and extend within 1 1/2 inches of the front and rear of the cylinder case area. A belly pan may be used in the lieu of a device attached to the engine. The belly pan must extend from frame rail to frame rail and extend forward of the harmonic balancer and to the rear of the engine block and must incorporate a minimum 2-inch-high lip on all sides. A nonflammable, oil-absorbent liner mandatory inside of retention device. Any device that fails to perform as required must be replaced or repaired to the satisfaction of the technical staff prior to any further runs.

5. Transmission: Any type no direct drives.

6. Fuel: No Nitromethane, polypropylene, hydrazine

7. Suspension: Must have working shocks any modifications may be made to suspension.

8. Chassis: Must hold current NHRA cert appropriate for et, speed and weight.

9. Weight:
a. Naturally Aspirated: No minimum
b. Small Block Nitrous Assisted : 2100 pounds
c. Nitrous Assisted: 2,400 pounds
d. Supercharged 2,500 Pounds
e. Turbo: 2,600 pounds

See less See more
#178 ·
Jason, I think they need to spend some money on fliers to hand out in the INDY area to help make this grow. I live almost 3 hrs away as does rest of Chicago market area racers and we will each bring crew/family members to the race but no one that far can bring 25 people to spectate. Shit im 10 minutes away from rt 66 and cant get 25 friends/family come to watch me race there and its close to home. I think any racer will try and make series that he/she races grow, but spectators largest percentage is from the local area to the track.

#182 ·
He isnt crying... He has some valid points. i would like to see the rear suspension before any calls are made... And I would rather he post up some pics before asking him to haul his car out to ORP on a chance he could be told he cant fit the class...

Vanilla

#186 ·
He isnt crying... He has some valid points. i would like to see the rear suspension before any calls are made... And I would rather he post up some pics before asking him to haul his car out to ORP on a chance he could be told he cant fit the class...

Vanilla
Im just busting his balls a little.... I agree with him. Its really just a rearend change, not a rear suspension change. The car would have had the same mounting technique, except it was IRS. I commend him actually for taking the time and effort.

Dont be sad Carey, I was just kidding buddy.....

#196 ·
Sorry, wasn't thinking about the NA guys. I'm not a fan of bars on any small tire cars, but that's just me. In the intrest of the class if someone wants to carry an extra 150lbs then so be it.
pooch & vanilla
I think you guys are on the right track..these rules are way too loose and need some help before the race season starts , to help level the playing field. A friday race during the day is going to make it hard to get fans and racers to show up . maybe you can get that worked out too.

the valley has test & tune and a grudge race friday nite and the outlaw race the next day . so when guys get off work, if they want to, they can travel to the track on friday and set up for saturday's outlaw race and if they get there before the track closes they can do some testing too for $15.00 . pooch has done this too ,so he knows how it works . it's good for the track and the race.

#190 ·
I think in order to make it clearer, it should be 75lbs for bars and 75 for tires... 150lbs for just a set of wheelie bars seems a bit extreme...

Vanilla
i agree with ya
150 just for bars is way to much

#193 · (Edited)
So, If my Rack & Pinion upgrade on my 1965 is ruled out of any heads up classes, here's a solution for many..not just myself. Open Comp already supports the 10.0-12.99 cars. Why not just do 8.50 & 9.50 index? Now you cover the whole spectrum! 8.50-12.99....Everyone can run! I guarantee a car that can run a 10.0 index, surely can run a 9.50 index.

#216 ·
I think the 8.50, 9.50, 10.50 format would work best. With 10.0 there will probably be many handslaps for outrunning license/chassis cert requirement. Obviously 8.50 and 9.50 would be legal and have proper equipment, the 10.50 would protect the guys that aren't licensed/certed. Thats my .02 Really you don't even need a 10.50, they can run in OC. To ME it would make more sense, I have run a 10.0 index for a few years now and there are always those 9.9x runs and if you aren't licensed you gonna get a hand slap

#195 ·
Here is my thought on bars.... all motor cars in all classes should be able to run them with no penalty. Its the only advantage an all motor guy will have in these classes, and that is going to help car count. If the nitrous cars need to be lumped in there, then I agree with that too. Boosted cars are fast from 100' out we all know that. give these guys a place to race to...

#209 ·
Here is my thought on bars.... all motor cars in all classes should be able to run them with no penalty. Its the only advantage an all motor guy will have in these classes, and that is going to help car count. If the nitrous cars need to be lumped in there, then I agree with that too. Boosted cars are fast from 100' out we all know that. give these guys a place to race to...

I see alot of guys NOT worried bout car count... they are worried that they cant make the rules fit them. Why not just bring it and run it? There has to be a few people lose everyone cant win it.

I AM very sure Kurt said at the meeting Tuesday that rules will be changed AS Needed and I think he said a 10 advance notice will be given.

SO why not TRY it in the intrest of keeping the series alive, and where it needs tweaking, it will be tweaked.

JS
http://indyracingscene.com/

#198 ·
I see a lot of people talking about bolt in type rear and front ends etc....

I feel taking out a IRS and doing a direct bolt in of any type should be allowed with any problem. I would do it for the safety reason if my car had one and was fast. With all the stock suspension stuff I feel as long as it goes to the stock tabs and in the stock place it shouldn't be a issue.

I know I don't make the rules but this should really be looked at.

#200 ·
I see a lot of people talking about bolt in type rear and front ends etc....

I feel taking out a IRS and doing a direct bolt in of any type should be allowed with any problem. I would do it for the safety reason if my car had one and was fast. With all the stock suspension stuff I feel as long as it goes to the stock tabs and in the stock place it shouldn't be a issue.

I know I don't make the rules but this should really be looked at.
Do people realize most independent rear suspensions aren't even LEGAL in the NHRA and the change he made is REQUIRED by the rules?

NHRA Rulebook said:
NHRA 2011 Rules, Section 4A, page 3:

2: Drivetrain

Cars running 10.99 or quicker that weigh more than 2,000 pounds with independent rear suspension without upper and lower (both) control arms must replace swing axle differential with conventional differential housing assembly. (Example 1963 - 1982 Corvette). Cars with independent rear suspension using upper and lower (both) control arms may retain swing axle assembly . . .
The word "may" suggests the even with upper and lower control arms a racer does not have to retain the original axle and may change to a conventional differential.

Although these are "only" the Pro,SuperPro,Sportsman rules, logic seems to suggest that cars going even quicker than typical E.T. Racers should follow this safety-based rule.

I say - let him run.

#201 · (Edited)
In Top Sportsman, independent rear suspension of any type is PROHIBITED. (Top Sportsman, Section 6A, page 3). IRS can be changed out, even in Superstock, Superstreet, Supergas, etc. Prohibited in Advanced E.T. for everything quicker than 6.50 1/4 mile

#202 ·
A friend of mine has run in the high 8's with his IRS. Steve Hoch has the white corvette that has been hot rod several times. Now granted, he is pushing the limits of his suspension, he has told me he doesnt want to change it.

But the problem arises, does the new suspension have to bolt into the stock location???

Vanilla

#203 ·
A friend of mine has run in the high 8's with his IRS. Steve Hoch has the white corvette that has been hot rod several times. Now granted, he is pushing the limits of his suspension, he has told me he doesnt want to change it.
Oh it can be done. I ran 10.8 at 4300 pounds with IRS. But if you pay attention to the NHRA Rulebook, it seems they've recognized the safety issues in many classes. Perhaps we should allow the replacement of IRS in these classes as well.

#205 ·
Look, if I had my way, Limited Street is a no bars class. But we are trying to get more racers in the show. I agree bars should be for big tire nitrous cars only and maybe NA cars. We just don't need a small tire limited street car showing up with bars. I didn't think Milan let all motor run bars? Boosted cars just don't need bars. Ned, here's the deal for Friday. It's a night race, not a day race. It works very very well in Milan, which is by a major city. I believe it will work great in Indianapolis. There are too many things to do on a Saturday in Indy and I don't belive the fans would come out. This series survival depends on spectators first then racers. It's easier for spectators to get there at 6:00 which is the final round of qualifying and then see 4 rounds of racing and be on their way by 11:30. In talking with Kurt today if this thing takes off there will be increased purses, classes and maybe a saturday spot. I just can't stress enough how we need to support this series. Yes I'm a major sponsor of this series, but I'm also a racer and it would be great to be 70 miles from a killer heads up series.

#206 ·
Look, if I had my way, Limited Street is a no bars class. But we are trying to get more racers in the show. I agree bars should be for big tire nitrous cars only and maybe NA cars. We just don't need a small tire limited street car showing up with bars. I didn't think Milan let all motor run bars? Boosted cars just don't need bars. Ned, here's the deal for Friday. It's a night race, not a day race. It works very very well in Milan, which is by a major city. I believe it will work great in Indianapolis. There are too many things to do on a Saturday in Indy and I don't belive the fans would come out. This series survival depends on spectators first then racers. It's easier for spectators to get there at 6:00 which is the final round of qualifying and then see 4 rounds of racing and be on their way by 11:30. In talking with Kurt today if this thing takes off there will be increased purses, classes and maybe a saturday spot. I just can't stress enough how we need to support this series. Yes I'm a major sponsor of this series, but I'm also a racer and it would be great to be 70 miles from a killer heads up series.
Dead on with a zero!

#220 ·
I hope my new bullet can put me in the 10.00 index. The way the schedule is, I can make every race!

#222 ·
It should be able to handle it. :) If the converter wasn't so loose, I could shoot for 9.00 on the sauce. lol

#225 ·
I would like to see a weight break for conventional head BBC nitrous cars vs. the big chief style heads in Limited Street. JMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.