Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Ford 427w cam size

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  92biminiLX 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how large of a cam I can put in a 427w before I have to go to a small base circle cam? The stroker kit will have the 4.17 stroke and a 6.2 rod with the chevy rod journals. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
No, but be careful, my brother had problems with a 4.1" stroke CHP rotator and a standard base circle solid roller (not even that big). Point is you gotta check whatever you get.
-J

#3 ·
I've got a .690 lift standard base circle cam that I tried to put in a 393w with the 3.85 stroke and the ford 5.956 rods and it hit very bad. I was hoping that with some aftermarket rods and the chevy rod journals that it would move everything far enough away from the cam. It's looking like I might sell my current cam and order a new custom ground one. Thanks.

#5 ·
While I'm on this subject, does anyone know what size a ford small base circle cam is ground on. My hydraulic roller cam in my 302 has a base circle of .900 and the larger solid roller cam I was going to use in my stroker motor has a base circle of .980. Thanks for the tip on the scat rods too.

#6 ·
scat rods will result in a little more clearance.

the base circle and flank will have to be actually installed ( with the rods in place)to see what the result is.
your cam maker should allready know.

subsequent trial assembly usually will take three or four attempts to make everything clear.

.980 is common for a hydro-roller

.900 / .890 is common for solid roller

when the smaller base circle is employed, the same net duration @ certain lift results will not be the same.

it also depends on the actual block , the location height of the underside of lifter bores and oil feed galley.they aint all thesame..even on the same block

#8 ·
what block is it. if it is a stock 351 block you are not gonna get much help from a bigger cam that is for higher rev Safely if you want it to live you should not rev a stock block winsor more than 7200. if it is a aftermarket block the sky is the limit depending on what internals I rev mine 8500.

#9 ·
Yes, it's a stock block. I planned on reving it to around 6800. It is a turbo motor so the volume of air I'll be lacking with the lower revs I hope to make up with boost. I ordered a kit with the scat rods, so now time will tell. Thanks again for everyone's input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.