Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Pro mod nitrous care, still banging ?

6K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  wd40 
#1 ·
I have always used a bang buttun, but after looking over the data logs and seeing a lean spike for approx .3 seconds I wonder if I am doing anything other than risking launcingh my carb to the moon and starting a big fire.

#3 · (Edited)
I think most will say it really doesn't make any difference one way or the other if everything is configured & working correctly. We have never done it but I've asked plenty of people who have tried both ways and that was the feedback. If it makes you feel better, do it. You will get the lean spike either way. I've had better results without a bleeder but again, depends on who you talk to. I'm just going by the RacePak data on that one.

#4 ·
I used to run a bleeder, don't anymore. 5lbs. of fuel pressure. Just because I have not launched the carb yet don't mean I won't.

I think I will go back to a regular purge and test it against the bang button and if I don't see any advantages to the bang button I will stop using it. I have to admit I will miss the sound the car makes when I bang it with a 42 jet !

#6 ·

Saw some video's of cars & carbs going up with a bang button, personally I stopped years ago after see zero gains.
Now with you tube, no way will I ever purge through the motor.

#7 ·
We blew the top off of our manifold last weekend banging our first kit--fuck that shit--we wont be doing that anymore--car sixty foots the same without it-no advantage at all-very lucky we didn't catch the car on fire

#12 ·
Back in the day when we had a Fulton motor he always told us the same thing. Nothing like purging a plate system with a .125 jet in it lol..

#15 ·
I hear ya, i have always done it too with a cast manifold and one carb--when they pop it isnt that big of a deal usually, Pop a sheet metal intake with splits on top and you tear up several hundred dollars worth of shit and need a new pair of underwear!!!! we might go back to it but i'll leave that up to the owner of the car

#16 ·
I hear ya, i have always done it too with a cast manifold and one carb--when they pop it isnt that big of a deal usually, Pop a sheet metal intake with splits on top and you tear up several hundred dollars worth of shit and need a new pair of underwear!!!! we might go back to it but i'll leave that up to the owner of the car
BURST PANELS.......

#20 ·
No way a couple 1" sized holes, are going to save the top of your manifold, if it coughs. Waste of time to even install them. You want to attempt to save your manifold in the event of a backfire, put the top on with plastic bolts.

Monte
That way the carbs can now become flying shrapnel as well? The burst panels are meant to help the release of pressure. Kind of like the holes a fireman chops in a burning roof with an ax. Its not meant to save the roof, its meant to control the continuing blasts. I've seen two dominators still bolted to the top of an intake that was split in half with both halves vertical east/west. The main point being the carbs were still bolted to the intake. With plastic screws you risk large pieces of flying debris at crew members and track personnel. Did we not see a picture of a well-known pro mod car and the carb was sitting on the ground next to the car at the starting line just this last year? Racers, please use the burst panels!

#17 ·
its all in the setup guys and gals. if you run a clutch with big systems your gonna want to bang it. dump the clutch with a cough and your gonna need a scoop. MOST of the cars that launch the scoop have another issue that happens to pop up at that time. we have always banged and to this date have never had an issue, we bring the car to 2500 and bump each kit. don't know if i would try it from idle.

#21 ·
Fultons spring loaded reliefs worked just fine for me in this situation. The previous old school pop-off discs (burst panels) ended up lifting the manifold top. The new spring loaded reliefs relieve that pressure without damage. I've actually saw a quick flame flash from inside the car when it happened on my car. Motor stumbled for a quick second, fired that system again (Cleanly this time) and I made the run.

Had this happen with another sheet metal manifold motor with an IS Solutions pop off as well. Motor stumbled and shut off. Re-fired...purged again, and made the run. No damage.

As Bushmec said above, that same stumble on the launch will create some interesting after effects.

#23 ·
The burst panel plate or spring loaded will not save you from a real boomer.
There fine on a sneeze.

The plastic bolts are the only thing that seems to save it.

Then thether the top plate to the intake this keeps it somewhat in place so the fuel lines don't get ripped off that's were your seeing the fires.

#24 ·
The burst panel plate or spring loaded will not save you from a real boomer.
There fine on a sneeze.

The plastic bolts are the only thing that seems to save it.

Then thether the top plate to the intake this keeps it somewhat in place so the fuel lines don't get ripped off that's were your seeing the fires.

Sounds like you nitrous folks now need straps and a ballistic bag just like us blower guys. Shhh, don't let NHRA or SFI hear about it.:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.