Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Regulators for nitrous?

314K views 342 replies 131 participants last post by  BBF557850 
#1 ·
Regulators for nitrous

I have a speedtech 2 stage plate, according to their tune up stage one 200 hp is 5.8 psi/70 jet. Stage two 150 hp 5.8 psi/70jet. If this is the tune up i am running can i run both stages thru one holly 12803 regulator? If so do i only flow one side of the regulator with the other side still hooked to its fuel solenoid.

#6 ·
I believe there is a Product engineering setup in the Buy and sell here.
If im right I think its Chis U.'s

#8 ·
Sorry Steve , this is the one time I dont agree.
I personally hate the creeping NOS solenoids.
I run the return style system in my car and would never run a dead head system again.

Reactions: indexracer
#9 ·
From what i have read on these threads the deadhead style or return line is not right or wrong, they both work and it depends on who you talk to which one works the best. To me it seems like a little fuel creep might be good on the initial hit of nitrous but maybe not.

#10 ·
Pitbull, the problem with Magna-Fuels, PEs and other high dollar regs on the nitrous, is that they have large seats, which generally means they are not very repeatable and recover slowly. Have hurt many a guys feelings when he brings his high dollar reg in and show him how erratic it is on the flow bench. The Holleys are cheap, but they are dead solid reliable, repeatable and recover quicker than any other. You can bypass the Holley and solve the creeping issue. A small bleed jet on one of the outlets, solves the creep problem. Some like this, some don't.

Monte

#11 ·
Pitbull, the problem with Magna-Fuels, PEs and other high dollar regs on the nitrous, is that they have large seats, which generally means they are not very repeatable and recover slowly. Have hurt many a guys feelings when he brings his high dollar reg in and show him how erratic it is on the flow bench. The Holleys are cheap, but they are dead solid reliable, repeatable and recover quicker than any other. You can bypass the Holley and solve the creeping issue. A small bleed jet on one of the outlets, solves the creep problem. Some like this, some don't.

Monte
not to hijack but whats the proper way to mod for bypass?

#12 ·
It takes no regulator mods. All you have to do, is install a gauge port fitting on one of the outlets of the reg. Screw a plate type, jet fitting into the gauge port, install a .018 jet in the fitting and run a return line back to the cell from there...or...if you run mutiple sytems, run the small returns in to a block and return the block to the cell.

Monte

#13 ·
Monte,

This setup is very popular on the Fulton stuff I have seen and from looking at pictures it looks like Speedtech is using the same style setup. A lot of the people I've seen with the Fulton tune-ups have a bleed line running from each regulator to a block where all of the bleed lines join together, then return to the tank through one line. The questions I have are these. First, would that .018 jet be placed in each individual bleed line going to the block, or after the block and in the single line running to the tank? Second, some of the guys I've seen with these setups have the return block capped off and are not essentially not using the bypass system. I am assuming this is because they are not experiencing a significant amount of pressure creep and therefore just simply aren't using the bypass. Is that correct?

I have worked with systems that both did and didn't have bypass fuel systems and neither one experienced any fuel pressure creep according to our data, but I guess its better to have one and not need it than to not have it and need it.

#19 ·
Another type...

I run a Paxton 6 port ( same as the Aeromotive 6-port), run a fuel pressure safety switch on the regulated side set 3/4 lb off the set nitrous fuel pressure, and it has never let me down in 6years. Never seen it on a flow bench but never hurt a plug either. A Holley sure is a cheeper way to go but then, I never have had to adjust mine for pill changes.

#25 ·
roadrunner,
I don't run the by pass. As you can see there are several thoughts and ways guys have found to get by. This is just the way I have found is most reliable for my customers...

Mike,
That's one of the first things I ask when I started talking to Artis about helping him out. I had a picture of the motor with the old set up and flagged it right away. Not saying right or wrong, just the way I roll.. LOL Talk later.. SJ

#26 ·
roadrunner,
I don't run the by pass. As you can see there are several thoughts and ways guys have found to get by. This is just the way I have found is most reliable for my customers...

Mike,
That's one of the first things I ask when I started talking to Artis about helping him out. I had a picture of the motor with the old set up and flagged it right away. Not saying right or wrong, just the way I roll.. LOL Talk later.. SJ
Steve they were on there from day one so I just left them. It didn't matter to me either way.

#29 ·
Yo Vanilla,
I was rollin 80 with the scooter out back !!! LMFAO !!!

As for the MagnaFuel reg, If your using one it needs a by pass. They are pretty rough off of a deadhead.. Great regulators for the carbs though !! SJ

#31 ·
this pretty much sums it up for me........http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=40686
We'll have for 2008 pretty much the same combo as the car above and a whole new approach to racing my pig malibu
If your running a single fuel pump and it has its own internal bypass return to the tank and your motor is also sucking down fuel I cant see the need for addl return lines knowing the physics of what a fuel pump is doing...

#36 ·
I am not one to argue with Steve about the return or air bleed systems because we have honestly had great results both with one and without depending on the products and tune-ups that we were using on a particular combo. I do know that the return keeps the fuel much cooler and anyone that has done any data logging with temp. sensors will have to agree with this as well.

I honestly feel that if the pressure is dropping off as much as BBATCO said that they encountered, there could be another issue causing this drop besides the air bleeds alone. I don't know this for a fact and would love to hear more about this from him concerening the actual tune-up. He didn't mention exactly how the bypass reglator on the pump was setup. He also didn't say what type pressure he was running or where in the run he experienced the biggest drop. It may also have something to do with the actual nitrous tune-up too. Usually the larger the hit, the greater the pressure drop and that applies to either deadheaded or not. My car runs 5.20's on motor and high 4's on two very small systems so we may not have been spraying enough to run into this problem yet. If it is possible, could you PM me some of this data if you don't want to post on this thread?

Wow, is all that I can say about Induction Solutions though. Steve really has it going on and helps or sponsors quite a few of the racers on here that I didn't know about. Very impressive and I am glad to see both members supporting Inductions Solutions and for Steve supporting some of our YB brothers too. I enjoyed watching the shop stop and am really glad to hear that he has helped out so many of our fellow members. Some are really running some record setting times too. Very Impressive!

Who are all the guys that are or will be racing out of Induction Solutions' shop. These are a few that I saw just in these two threads that were either mentioned by Steve or that included Induction Solutions in their signatures and thanked them in their posts. It is really great to see some guys outside of the Pro ranks getting some help with their programs. It is very encouraging to all the other sportsman style racers.

Troy Pirez
Artis Houston
Excelerator
BBATCO1

#32 ·
I added a bleed line that returned back to my cell last year and my system was very reliable. We did lots of flow testing with my Wilson Plate system and my pressure would creep less than a 3/8lb with the noids closed and as soon as it opened the psi dropped and stabilized right where it needed to be...
I have a bg280 pump for my nitrous system and I was running it dead-headed the year before. I'm curious what my pressure creep was like before the bleed.
I made the change because I was having some issues with fuel delivery...

#33 ·
Alright here goes on my setup. I dead headed this year but was planning on changing it to a bleed system, is it worth it?

Aeromotive A-2000 pump(has bypass reg. on it) -10an to fuel log with MF reg for carb and 2 Holley regs. for each stage(currently only using 1). My fuel pressure guage ( I put one at the fuel solenoid so I could watch it) will creep all the way to pegging out the 15 psi until I launch and then it levels out.

What do you guys think put a bleed on? I am switching to a fogger this year, had a plate and watched the tune and it stayed fine last year but with the fogger it might be worse?? Suggestions?

#34 ·
I will say this about the bleed. Without a Racepak you can't see the severity of the dip. You will never see it with your eye. Gauges and human eyes are not that fast. I ran a bleed and the dip was redicilous and i never saw it till the datalogger. Could have caused damage? I work on a car with a bleed system that works well, but not without much testing of different jets in it with the racepak till it was right, and then yet still needs to be tuned when pressure changes are made. I now am a super Steve customer and ditched the bleed on my car and bury the gauge at the line, but the dip is just about gone and pressure stabilizez much faster then before. Thats a fact on my racepak graphs. To each his own but with out a recorder you have no clue really???

#35 ·
Big Poppa,
As you can see from this thread there are mixed answers. Maybe the best bet is to decide if you are going to do your own tuning and set up, and go with what you believe. Or who your going to work with and stick to there set ups. Good luck with your set up and yell if I can help.. SJ

#39 ·
I don`t use a bleed,don`t have any gauges hooked up either.Who cares what it deadheads to.As long as pressure is right flowing.I did notice with my smallblock that if we didn`t manually bleed the lines , every once in a while it would shoot a fireball out the carb from being lean I guess. Now I manually crack all 4 fuel lines at the solenoids after flowing,and after a long wait between passes. This is on really big tuneups, small tuneups might get away with going lean on the hit if the line is airbound.

#63 ·
I don`t use a bleed,don`t have any gauges hooked up either.Who cares what it deadheads to.As long as pressure is right flowing.I did notice with my smallblock that if we didn`t manually bleed the lines , every once in a while it would shoot a fireball out the carb from being lean I guess.
The genie out of the hood scoop is rich brother, not lean. If it was lean, where would all the fuel for that big fireball come from.:p

Monte

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.