Yellow Bullet Forums banner

10.5 Race at cedar falls oct 9th

31K views 586 replies 42 participants last post by  Allgo 
#1 ·
Whos coming to the last one of the year?????

#182 · (Edited)
I think you have to be careful about the rules look at what has happened to the Brainard deal.Points threw the year would be good but i would weigh the fact of a payout for points at the end of the year vs the increase in membership fees or gate fees.I'm not saying people should race for nothing but will it really matter in the end. NMRA pays a 1000. to win and the local stuff payed 500. I think never saw it posted. NMRA is 3 times the money just to get in. I think this is a good deal and we had a lot of fun and will run again.

#183 ·
We were going to race the 3 races at Brainerd next year but if there were 3 races at Cedar Falls we would probably run that instead. Not sure about ERP though, I will have to look at a map and see how far it is. Probably not going to drive that far though. Does anyone have a qualifying sheet? I'd like to see where we stack up. We run 5.70's to the 1/8 but should be able to knock a tenth or two off for next season if we can afford to race.

#184 · (Edited)
Simple format: Run a SERIES
Hard part, initally, somebody part of this will HAVE to take the reins and be the organizer, accountant, referee, etc...since this series is so small as of now, you guys will initally be on your own to handle any big payouts and such since I cant imagine any track willing to guaruntee purses until they get the big car counts and big spectators counts to make this series sustain itself...so you guys will have to be your own entity, much like your already doing.

Racers BUY IN to be eligible for any recognition in said series, an admission cost to get into the game so to speak. ANYBODY can still show up and race if they wish to, which will help increase the days purse with entry fees, but if they dont enter into the series, they accumulate NO POINTS. Which will be good since the guys unable to race the entire series will make great spoilers and keep the chase interesting.

Make the series a traveling series much like our MBA races, this makes logistics fair for all- say 2 races at CFR, 2 races at ERP, 2 races at Cordova...or make it 3 races per track, whatever you guys think the overall audience in your program can and will be attending/entering/supporting. Dont make it more races than guys will HONESTLY be able to support 100%. Traveling gives each track equal exposure, making them appreciate the business and hosting the events, traveling helps bring in guys that would normally not be attending due to logistics since it's part of a SERIES.

Purses per race, well, that will fall back onto organizer...do you want to do percentage of entires? Can you find sponsors to make a guarunteed purse possible for 6/9 races? Next trick, since this is a series, you HAVE to have a big prize...something that makes all the traveling, all the time, all the money vested chasing this series worth while. This is where capturing sponsors that will donate products, gift cards, etc...for their goods will come into play. Sure getting a fat check is great, but if you can get a bunch of sponsors all donating product, you can have the chance at winning all the goodies, or if you dont need a certain prize, sell it, trade it, whatever you want...because points champ has won the right to do so.

Biggest thing is sponsors to support it. If only 3 guys enter the series, tough shit for the ones that did'nt anty up the $XX or $XXX for entry into the series, this needs to be addressed and advertised PRIOR to trying to sell people a spot nito a series. Racers, esspecially ones like this wont feel comfortable handing over money to a new founded/trial run situation with no set in stone prize to shoot for, so it's going to be a hard sell the first yr or so until they see it's legit....sponsors offering product, goodies, whatever that will all be handed over to the overall winner...after the first year if a good prize can be put together, it will definately raise eyebrows and garner attention.

but I'm just a stupid bracket racer, so this is all just a dumb idea, sorry to waste your time.

#191 ·
I also have spoke with the track owner of Bethany. He does not have the track open but it is for sale and it may be open in 2011. He was interested in a showing of our car at his track? I aslo have family ties with the track in Humboldt Iowa. Now these are going to be the type of tracks that you have to manage the amout of power you can put down. I have ran at Bethany and I went 5.96 and that was a few year ago. It was the only ford they have seen go that fast in a long time!!!

#196 ·
Just to clarify, king street does have a tire rule. I do agree though that the car counts have suffered. I also think it is because of the lack of rules. I ran the Real Street class in 2009 and did not run there in 2010 due to the lack of rules. I don't want to turn this into a BIR bashing, but I do think this is relevant to the topic at hand. I think there is an opportunity for some of the cars that race at BIR to possibly come down for this in addition to, or instead of, racing at BIR. I know one car besides myself that would race at CFR.

#201 ·
Just to clarify, king street does have a tire rule. I do agree though that the car counts have suffered. I also think it is because of the lack of rules. I ran the Real Street class in 2009 and did not run there in 2010 due to the lack of rules. I don't want to turn this into a BIR bashing, but I do think this is relevant to the topic at hand. I think there is an opportunity for some of the cars that race at BIR to possibly come down for this in addition to, or instead of, racing at BIR. I know one car besides myself that would race at CFR.
Yeah thats understandable, no ones likes to take their 5.7 car up against a 4.7 second turbo big block car.. The cars that win these 10.5 races are running 5.4-5.7's in the finals.

#208 ·
I am building a Drag Radial, slash TT5, stock suspension car and would be interested in this deal if you could get it together. I would like to see it held at just CFR and Eddyville just do to Cordova is a little far for me. But whatever you work out would be great. Just need to get some rules going because it will be here before you know it.

#198 ·
Unfortunately for us, $$$ is a deciding factor right now. My wife started School in September so everything is on a day to day basis. It's looking ok for us to get out probably 3 times next year, so, I probably would not be in the points chase but I know another guy from up here that would possibly be interested in doing it. This isn't the answer I want to give you but I just don't want to commit and then have something happen. :(

We were going to run 3 races with the True Street Series this year so we should be able to do something with you guys, just not sure how much.

#202 ·
We'd like to see Eddyville, Cedar Falls and Cordova as the venues. I'd to see a minimum weight requirement since we're 3600 lbs with driver. What ever you guy's come up with, we're in. Just my two cents. We feel like we're the red headed step child since we were the only Chevy at the last race. Big Pete

#203 ·
Alrighty, finally getting to take a look at everything here.

First of all - Thank you to everyone: sponsors, drivers, crews, fans, internet jockeys (lol) who have helped this class stay alive the past 3 years. It's come a long ways since when I first dreamed it up, but we've still got quite a ways to go to make it everything it can be.

Keep Quick Performance in Ames, Iowa in mind when you're making your winter upgrades. They stepped up big time for us this year. We need to all thank them and give them our business when we can. Doug and the rest of the guys up there are great to work with. www.quickperformance.com

I definitely like this idea, especially if it will provide incentive to travel, and it seems like most others do as well. The format will take some time to get worked out, but we've got a little time to figure it out this winter.

Tracks
I like a multiple track format, but it's going to take some serious work and cooperation. The good thing we have going is that there is a common owner in Scott Gardner. In talking with him this past spring prior to the True-Street event at Cordova, he was very excited about what we had been doing at Eddyville. I'll start working on this to see what is possible.

Personnel
This is going to be one of the keys to making this class continue to work. The first year I was available to help organize, make rule judgement calls, ect. when it was necessary. The past two years with my own car, I've been pulled in both directions at the track. We DEFINITELY had a blessing in disguise when John Puckett's car went down early in the season and he was able to help out with the organization. I know he probably doesn't see it that way, but the season went smooth largely in part to the work of our "Midwest Mayor." Let the call go out now, we're going to need another person like this for next year. I know John is working hard to get his car back together, so there is definitely a vacancy here to be filled at the track.

Rules
Looking back on the past 3 years, we've made a few small adjustments to the rules, but overall, they're very much the same as we started with. At this point in time I see no reason to make changes to the current rules package. Yes, it does allow for some wicked combinations, but I believe 3 years have proven that everything from a single plate stock suspension small block to a twin turbo ladder bar car can be competitive. Everyone in the class has ran numbers that would win an event, consistancy is key - which is why we run on the little tires.

One thing we need to keep in mind with elaborate rules and weight combinations is that there HAS to be someone at every race who knows what they are looking for. The tracks we've raced at have been extremely accomidating, however aside from Rock at Eddyville, I'm not sure if all 3 tracks (if we go to that format) would have the personnel (see above) to monitor more elaborate rules. Here I think we benefit from the KISS principle until proven otherwise.

Number of Dates and when they're held.
This one is going to fall to scheduling with the tracks, and working with the managers. I personally feel the Eddyville format running on a bracket day is the best. It provides enough time between rounds, puts more cars on the track, and gives us a chance to show off our class to those who might not be familiar with it.

I personally would be in favor of a race every 3 weeks on average. With the points series there would be incentive to hit as many as possible. The one thing is we don't want to have so many races that everyone gets strung out and only races every 3rd race or whatever, that will kill the class faster than anything.

Sponsorship/Payouts/Entry
Again thank you to Quick Performance for their support at Eddyville! Sponsorship ideas are always welcome - be sure to let me know if anyone has something in mind!

As far as payouts and Entry go - I like the current format. No, it's not a 10 Grand to win race, but is that really necessary for what we do? This is about having fun and getting out to play with the big boy toys. I spent a lot of time around circle track racing this summer helping one of my crew guys with his car, and I was quite suprised how little these guys run for, but they are every bit as passionate about what they do as we are. Sure if we could have a couple "big purse" races it would be great, but modesty has helped keep the playing field pretty level in my mind.

I like the idea of big trophy and banner or something for the points championship if we go that route.

Well, there's my thoughts. Let me know yours!

-Christian

#205 ·
Good post Rogue, gotta remember with the circle track racing is they also pay money to the last place person whether they finish or not, and having 25 cars in each class feature, and 5 or 6 classes a night adds up pretty quick!!

but anyway, I would be fine with everything you posted. I had a idea about figuring out the points if we go that way, how about taking everyones BEST 8 finishs out of 9 races so if someone makes all the races they can throw away one crappy run, or if someone misses 1 race they can still be in the hunt. Might help coax people into doing the points race..

With a little luck my car should be good to go next year and I will be at all the races I can no matter which track its at. I will however have to miss a couple races since we usually enter a good amount of special events with the circle tracker as well.

#207 ·
the best 8 finishes is a really good idea. a lot of points systems work that way.

Christian, if there's anything I can do to help out let me know

(Trick Tools 10.5 still does have a real nice ring.....)

#206 ·
Hello Boys and Girls (Nick)

Just going to throw out some things for everyone... And I mean no disrespect to anyone. Nick, crew chief for Team LLamas, is a good friend of mine and he gave this race high reviews.

With rules, I have always believed this: The smaller the series, the fewer the rules. The bigger the series, the more rules needed. Back in 2001, I ran a seried based in Central Illinois, Pure Performance Racing. The first year we had very few rules. Hell it was one class. The second year we had a few more rules. The 3rd year, we split the classes. It was a pretty good series.

My point is that with a small series, you want to get as many racers to come as you can. Leave the rules pretty open with the understanding that each year, a few more rules will be implemented. You might have a ringer come in once in a while, but thats to be expected. Happens everywhere. They can still be beat... Make a set of basic rules. Something that the majority of people IN THE AREA fit.

Payout: Lets get real, nobody is going to get rich at racing. Just the opposite. If you promise the world, you are just setting yourself up for a fall. Sure, $2500 to win sounds nice. But paying back farther is better for the series. Look at Orlando. $10,000 to the winner, but if you qualify in the top 32, you get $150 and free entry into next years race. That may soound like chump change, but I will bet there will be another 15-20 racers wishing they qualified. Racing shouldnt be about the money. Try to have a better purse, not a top heavy winners purse.

Race tracks. This is a double edged sword. Some guys might not like the travel. I would suggest that maybe do 2 tracks at first. See how the response is at all the races. It is better to have a great turn out at one track than so-so turn out at 2 or 3 tracks. Again, this goes back to the small vs large race series.

Unless somebody has won the lottery, I would stick with the small route till there are 20+ cars in every class....

Hope this helps....

Vanilla

#211 ·
Hello Boys and Girls (Nick)

Just going to throw out some things for everyone... And I mean no disrespect to anyone. Nick, crew chief for Team LLamas, is a good friend of mine and he gave this race high reviews.

With rules, I have always believed this: The smaller the series, the fewer the rules. The bigger the series, the more rules needed. Back in 2001, I ran a seried based in Central Illinois, Pure Performance Racing. The first year we had very few rules. Hell it was one class. The second year we had a few more rules. The 3rd year, we split the classes. It was a pretty good series.

My point is that with a small series, you want to get as many racers to come as you can. Leave the rules pretty open with the understanding that each year, a few more rules will be implemented. You might have a ringer come in once in a while, but thats to be expected. Happens everywhere. They can still be beat... Make a set of basic rules. Something that the majority of people IN THE AREA fit.

Payout: Lets get real, nobody is going to get rich at racing. Just the opposite. If you promise the world, you are just setting yourself up for a fall. Sure, $2500 to win sounds nice. But paying back farther is better for the series. Look at Orlando. $10,000 to the winner, but if you qualify in the top 32, you get $150 and free entry into next years race. That may soound like chump change, but I will bet there will be another 15-20 racers wishing they qualified. Racing shouldnt be about the money. Try to have a better purse, not a top heavy winners purse.

Race tracks. This is a double edged sword. Some guys might not like the travel. I would suggest that maybe do 2 tracks at first. See how the response is at all the races. It is better to have a great turn out at one track than so-so turn out at 2 or 3 tracks. Again, this goes back to the small vs large race series.

Unless somebody has won the lottery, I would stick with the small route till there are 20+ cars in every class....

Hope this helps....

Vanilla
LOL yeah I hear what your saying, we did have a hard time getting cars at Cedar Falls, seems each track has their own group of racers, but hopefully having points would help bring the same group of people to all the tracks.

The rest of the rules, payout and stuff should probably left alone it sounds like.. Just need someone/some people to take control of this at all the tracks

#212 ·
Points lead to membership fees ,your race does not have enough cars to support this and you need cars from surrounding areas dropping in to help keep the series alive!One of the big problems with the races at the grove are the couple hundo in membership fees it keeps the guys out that want to go race the big money events that cant make every race.No matter what your schedule is its gonna conflict with many other races or family functions of racers.You need to make reasons for racers to race with you ,not to give them reasons why not to race with you.Forget the points and end of the year money,raise the purses or pay further down the ladder to help out all that support the race.If people leave with atleast their entry fee they are somewhat happy ,they can consider it a free, fun day of testing.

#213 ·
You can still have points, just award the champion and second place a nice end of the year trophy and a jacket. I agree with ScottyK about the membership fee. It causes too much turmoil when people start questioning where all the money goes.

As far as rules go, I'd be willing to help out making a set, since u worked with the NSCA for 2 years as tech inspector. I'd love to help out at the races, but seeing as I am in central illinois, it makes it hard to get together on a regular basis for meetings and what not.

Vanilla
Posted via Mobile Device

#217 ·
You can still have points, just award the champion and second place a nice end of the year trophy and a jacket. I agree with ScottyK about the membership fee. It causes too much turmoil when people start questioning where all the money goes.

As far as rules go, I'd be willing to help out making a set, since u worked with the NSCA for 2 years as tech inspector. I'd love to help out at the races, but seeing as I am in central illinois, it makes it hard to get together on a regular basis for meetings and what not.

Vanilla
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey thats fine man, I dont think theres any meetings anyway. It would be badass to have vanilla there. I wonder if you actually look like that in real life.... LOL thatd be awesome, vanilla ice represent'n :smt071

So just to see if Im understanding this correctly, if there is a "membership" fee, it would be optional and only for the people racing for points, no additional entry fee for non-members??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.