Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Monte Smith(not a engine builder)

89K views 555 replies 154 participants last post by  Vince@SurfaceArmor 
#1 ·
Monte Smith isn't the engine builder he claims to be.

Started a motor up the other week that only had 30 pounds of oil pressure and a rear main seal leak. Long story short motor had the following things wrong.

Oil pump stopped up with metal shavings.
No rear main seal.
Only one rear main bolt was toqued.
All top rings on each piston were installed up side down.

We( not Monte) did correct the above problems and reassembled the motor. Now we are breaking Jesel rocker arm bolts out of the stands.

Per Jeff Wilkerson (Monte) needs to stick to nitrous and not engine building.

We did give Monte the chance to correct the above problems. Per Monte he had other things in line and he couldn't get to the motor right away.

#421 ·
I will kindly disagree with your entire post.. I wouldn't say 99% love him and no I'm not bashing MS either...

For the record this Thread was started bc they received an engine that wasn't done properly... Again not bashing anyone fact of the matter is that this engine had a lifter issue and engine wasn't corrected

If Monte knew it was 100% no fault to him he wouldnt be offering to fix it on his dime is the way I see it

It's really simple here guys
This said engine should have never left the shop until it was known to be right

#415 ·
Coop I am not trying to disrespect you or the owner. Just to shed some light on the time line of 2 years. Why so long before you guys didn.t start raiseing hell on here? Two years you guys did'nt race or you raced with anouther motor and this was to be the next faster motor? When you left the motor how much money did you leave with it so Monty had something to work with? Monty did say he went thru that money very quickly so did he ask for more and when did the owner give him more and how much and at what time period in the 2 years ? I have seen shops sit on motors for a long time just because of lack of new money to push the build along and sometimes the engine shop forgets about a motor because they are swaped with all the new stuff comming in and at that time along with new money. Sounds like you got the motor back to his engine shop and I totaly agree with you guys that Monty should of jumped on it right away. He did say that he would fix it for free. I know if I ever screw something up ( it happens!!) I want to know yesterday what was the cause and how not to let it happen again even if it was not my fault or was. I was told this by a engine builder. The best engine builders out there do screw up a motor here and there BUT you never here about those because they work over time to cover their ass and kiss the owners ass.

#418 ·
Coop I am not trying to disrespect you or the owner. Just to shed some light on the time line of 2 years. Why so long before you guys didn.t start raiseing hell on here? .
As per Monte's post earlier, it was because they were low on funds, so stuff got delayed. He had money and time into the engine as well, and wanted it paid for and gone more than they did.

#419 ·
so if the valve cover where never removed during the priming process i guess no one bothered to check the lash on the rockers either then ??

sucks making assumptions that something is done correctly , as a tradesman i have learned to triple check things even if they are done by other professionals i have been kicked in the nuts too manys times assuming something is done right if one does not learn QC their items before use they are leaving themselves open for disaster down the road .

#420 ·
Coop, can you post the invoice for $7300. Maybe you did earlier, just dont want to go through all the posts.

#439 ·
There are at least 4 people who know what happened here and the rest of what are merely judging based on a few posts here. Coop, Kyle, Monte and Jeff obviously saw the engine so they are in the best position to say what they saw. Lots of people are second guessing this and that but I believe Monte actually admitted there were issues. Two years is a long time no matter how you look at it. Were mistakes made? Yes, it sounds like there were mistakes on both sides. Are people taking sides here? Absolutely!! But, perhaps you're defending something that doesn't need to be defended. The OP may not be a household name in the racing business but that doesn't make him a nobody. In my book, $7300 is not chump change. If someone hands you a 632 BBC and $7300 (and $1200 rods), you would think what gets returned is a fully functioning piece. Like someone else said here, once you take the engine, machine it, build it and send it out the door whether fortunate or unfortunate it wears the name of the shop. In this racing game, reputation can either make you, or hang you by the nuts. Again, both parties made some mistakes here. There's not a person on this site who EVER wants to recieve what he /she considers to be a screwing.

Live and let live guys! All parties are going to come out of this thing smarter. Some of US need to just stop adding mud to the pit.

#441 ·
thanks we have been told by several of montes friends that monte is not a engine builder only a tuner i give him that he does know his nos we are not trying to cause prob;ems all the owner said to him was pay for the bearings and the 1200 for labor and everything would be ok but he chose to say he was not paying for the labor he would send some more bearings down here not to count the 3 days they had to up and leave their business to shuffle the engine around time isnt cheap when ur the owner of a small business

#459 ·
I will say that "Kyle" guy did come in here and phucked up some shit.

Take away the "problems" and your still left a "paid in full" customer being put an the back burner. Don't care if it was a $12 part or a $10,000 part or a 350 hp build or a 1500 hp. This business man took his money and did not do it right (self admitted) , nor did he give it the attention that was deserved when problems were found.

#444 ·
Im middle. This guy changed his story and Monte went to fix his fuck up and the guy said fuck off. On montes dime.

#455 ·
the rabbit knows all..mistakes can be made, but leaving out the rear main seal?..

if ya wanna bitch about a guy who sez he will fix and dyno it at his cost, you're an asshole..if it took 2 years to build, because ya used cheap recycled parts, and got cheap labor for waiting, dont bitch about time frame..

i do not know monte, or the op, but i would hope monte knew better....

of course, none of our posts mean shit..only what monte and op do..

#456 ·
the rabbit knows all..mistakes can be made, but leaving out the rear main seal?..

if ya wanna bitch about a guy who sez he will fix and dyno it at his cost, you're an asshole..if it took 2 years to build, because ya used cheap recycled parts, and got cheap labor for waiting, dont bitch about time frame..

i do not know monte, or the op, but i would hope monte knew better....

of course, none of our posts mean shit..only what monte and op do..
So, out of one side of your mouth you're crowing about cheap recycled parts, and then out of the other you're saying your post doesn't mean shit. Which is it? You know exactly what the rest of us do which is only what we've read. Don't fan the flames here brotha.

These guys will move on here and I think we should do the same so stop fanning the flames brotha. That liquid you're using ain't water brotha.....it's methanol and that shit is highly flammable!!!

#464 ·
What ever happened to the day's when you man up , and settled shit face to face , instead of being chicken shit , and draggin this stuff out over the internet ? I have a friend who is a helluva machinst who has a machine shop that goes thru shit like this all the time.. He does quality work send's it out to some idiot who put's wrong bearing's , or bad ring gap's , and so on .. The motor screw's up, and it's alway's the machine shop's fault.. And then to have "Friend's" get on here , and air your shit out is even more chicken shit !! This thread should've been deleted on the first page !!!

#467 ·
Big dif betweena engine designer and a builder. Im not gonna say if he is a engine builder or not but i can tell ya a real builder would know what way the rings go in.

On a dif note Monte is real busy a friend ordered some parts from him for a system (just lines and stuff) and it took 2 weeks to get him on the phone and another 2 get him to ship them, I will say this Get some fucking help! Hire somebody thats just bad business if your that busy take less work or hire help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.