Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Spec me a cam for my sbf

6K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  fogged306 
#1 ·
I want to see what you guys suggest for my car. I'm missing some info so something in the ball park is fine. But also let me know why I should go with those lobes.

408" internal balance. -22cc dish Mahle's on a 61cc chamber, .039 compressed HG (forgot to measure how much the piston comes out of the hole when I put it together). Twisted wedge 170 heads, super vic efi intake with elbow, 4" powerpipe, 95mm TB, 97MM MAF, hooker super comps 1 3/4" to 3" with 3" exhaust with 3" bullets and dumps with evac. Currently running no x-over. Aluminum flywheel, no accessories except alternator. Electric fan and wp, manual rack, ect.. Car weighs about 3000 w/driver, 5 speed, 373 gear with 26" tire. This is a street car I take to the track, but I don't mind a little snottyness as long as it isn't excessive bucking in parking lots.

Valvetrain is up in the air, will be buying new lifters, rockers springs pushrods, so a solid roller isn't out of the question. But I have heard that solid rollers with a decent amount of spring pressure don't do so well idling. Pin oilers can fail? Not too sure so school me.

I also may spray a 200 shot on this engine, but I'd rather the cam be tailored for N/A. Would like to see 10's on motor and 9's on spray.

See less See more
#2 ·
From the very little I know of cams I would say either a 108-110 LS 240-250 duration at .050 and .600 Lift would be where you should start. I have done a ton of research on cams because I couldn't get anyone to reply to a similiar post for my setup. A post like this should get people to say I am either way off or in the ballpark... Also you should lean towards the wider LS if you want more power on the n2o.

#3 ·
Yea that's kind of what I'm looking for, just to be told what direction to head in. I have an idea of what I think I should be looking into but I don't know if I'm in the ballpark or not. I've also been having a problem finding flow numbers at .700 for the TW heads so I'm not sure if I should go above .600 or by how much. I don't care about max power on the n2o because I'm only going to spray at the track. Rather have more fun on the street and off the juice than only on fridays at the track.

#5 ·
I bought a book that explains how to determine cam specs. It doesn't say anything about going by head flow, but valve size vs ci instead. For a typical 347 with a 2.02 valve you should see a gain all the way to .700 lift. after that it is marginal.

#12 ·
a tfs 170 on a 408 unless it has been extensively ported is gonna be choke point in that motor

#14 ·
Yea, heads are only on there until I can afford a better set. Have the cam in there from the 302 also, billet cam motion, but it's tiny. Just looking for something to help it breathe better until I get a different set of heads. I'm going to poke around for a used cam and find something that will work better than what I've got so I'm not going with a custom yet. Just wanted to know what would get me in the ballpark so I could start looking.

Stockey, why 112LSA on an N/A? .. and what forum do I know you from?

#16 ·
Yea I saw that thread when I was looking through HC a while ago. Don't know if it was the same build or not, but I saw woody mention 10's with a TF 170 head on a 408 in a fox as well. That's why I know it's possible. What do you charge to spec a cam?

#17 ·
I had great luck with Bullet cams they will do you right. My 427 has went 9.90s on motor with dart 225Cnc heads and a out of the box super victor intake. There is plenty left in it make smart decisions and 9's on just motor will be possible with better heads

#19 ·
No thanks Ed. When I do heads, I'm gonna change the cam again and I'll most likely go through you for that one. I just can't do a custom on a SADI core and if I do a billet they're what, $375 through you right? Just can't justify spending that on a cam that's gonna be in there a year. My cam motion was $425 before shipping if I remember right, and I'll be lucky to get $175 for it. Hoping to sell mine and pick up a used cam in the same price range that's better suited to my engine instead of .553/.525 222/228 112 in a 408, lol.

#26 ·
Here's the cam that comp cams recommended: 242/248 @.050 608/614 112lsa

Personally I feel that's a touch small because of my heads being small runner heads. What do you guys think? I also noticed that on the cam request form, they don't ask you anything about your exhaust system other than if you have headers or not. No questions about primary tube size, collector style or size, or what kind of exhaust you're running. I asked the guy about this and he said for the most part, that doesn't matter. Another reason I'm a bit skeptical about the recommended cam. I was always under the assumption that the collector alone played a huge part in determining overlap... Maybe I drank too much of Jay's kool-aid?

#30 ·
YOU WILL HAVE BETTER LUCK GOING A STEP DOWN IN CAMSHAFT OR A STEP LIGHT IN THE CAM DEPARTMENT. U CAN OVER CAM A MOTOR. THOSE SPECS SOUND PRETTY GOOD TO ME FOR A STREET STRIP CAR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.