Yellow Bullet Forums banner

So the dude up the street shot a guy who broke in his house....

14K views 242 replies 35 participants last post by  BC3xx0 
#1 ·
First off I don't know the people involved, just the crap I got from the news and gossip but it did happen just up the street from me.

Saturday night at midnight, a shithead walked through this guys unlocked front door. He and his wife were sleeping (don't know if on the couch, in their chairs, or bedroom) and started beating them with a chair! Somehow the homeowner got a gun and shot the shithead and himself during the struggle (non life threatening). The shithead made it out the door and died on the front yard.

The shithead was a neighbor that has been suspected in several unsuccessful burglaries and just recently moved back on the street. The shitheads wife is saying that he's mentally ill and was probably just going to their house for help! Other neighbors are saying he was drunk and went to the wrong house. Either way, he wasn't invited in and their was obviously a struggle and the homeowner felt threatened in his own house and did what he had to do.

It got me thinking though. What if a drunkguy/mentally unstable/burglar came in my house undetected while I slept and started beating the shit out of me with something? Would I be able to get to my gun? I keep my gun in the closet, with the magazine next to it, same with the shotgun. Sure, I lock my doors so it wouldn't be as quiet as what happened to this guy but what if I had the fan on and didn't hear it or some shit.

My problem lies with my kids. I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old. I can't have guns accessible. He doesn't play or come into our room unsupervised, but I can't trust him enough to keep a gun in a drawer or next to the bed. I can't even trust him to tell me he has to poop!! I've thought about one of the holsters that slip into the mattress and just put the gun away when we wake up, but sometimes he gets up in the night and comes in our room.

The only thing that comes to my mind is fortification!! What kind of things are you guys with kids doing for access to your weapons?

See less See more
#3 ·
http://www.safetybullet.com/

That could be something to consider if there is kids around. I was intrigued when I first saw that but I don't know of anyone that can personally vouch for it.

If you keep it in the closet, mag out then keeping it in the bed stand, mag in, with one of these in the chamber could be a good alternative.

Plus I think the time it takes to put a mag in the gun and rack it or do a slide-lock load would be a lot longer than just knowing to rack it once.

The main problem with it that I can see is figuring out how to make it muscle memory, or part of your repertoire to rack that particular weapon before you take your first shot.

#4 · (Edited)
First off your 3 year old could easily get in your room and gain access to your guns while you sleep. Get a gun safe that operates by pressing a 4 digit code to open the door. Keep you handgun inside magazine in, round in the chamber. My shotgun stays in the closet loaded with a trigger lock and the key is in the same gun safe. I would like to have the shotgun mounted in something that would give me quicker access.

#13 ·
Ok charlie, I've finally come to the conclusion that you shouldn't own guns as you are too afraid of something bad happening while a gun is not locked in a safe.

#6 ·
Educate your children to proper gun awareness and safety. I have 4 kids (3-14yrs old) and they all know that I keep one loaded gun on me all day and the same gun goes in my nightstand next to me at night. There is never a time where my loaded gun is left unattended or in a spot that is accessible to the youngest two. We discuss how to handle a weapon (treat it as if it is always loaded), not to point the barrel towards anyone at anytime, and we take them shooting with us sometimes to show the destruction and mayhem that a gun can do and it seems to work.

As for your home situation, a dog or an alarm system would do the trick to notify you. We just got our alarm system installed and I actually really like it. Even if it is not armed, I have become accustomed to the little sounds it makes when a door is opened and it will give you a warning anytime the exterior doors are opened.... like if a child opens the door for any reason, etc.

#10 ·
Well said, I remeber the first time I shot a gun, .38 special and it scared the chit out of me, made me think twice before I'd mess with it and never did. A alarm is a good option for anyone looking for a warning that someone is in your home and allowing a few seconds to do what you need to do.

#11 ·
I heard about that on the news yesterday. I say good for the home owner! That's a perfect example of why every home should have at least one fire arm. I can just see it now though, the perp's family is going to hire Eric Deters retarded ass and try to sue the home owner.

I keep a pistol within reach of the bed and a round in the chamber (no children in the house). My 3 dogs make enough noise to wake the entire neighborhood, so if that didn't deter some jackass I would surely be awake and ready before they got inside the house.

#14 ·
Alarm. I set mine at night on instant alarm. If a contact is broke the alarms sounds. Plenty of time to be well armed and ready to handle the situation. ;) Have cellular backup incase someone is smart enough to cut phone line. I at least feel safer and think it would end badly for anyone that stuck around.

#48 ·
Alarm. I set mine at night on instant alarm. If a contact is broke the alarms sounds. Plenty of time to be well armed and ready to handle the situation. ;) Have cellular backup incase someone is smart enough to cut phone line. I at least feel safer and think it would end badly for anyone that stuck around.
Cut my phone line and the system automatically activates.

#16 ·
Hoosierdaddy, are you serious. Did you ever hear about being responsible for your actions. I've been carying a gun for over 32 years but I take action to make sure the only hands that touch my gun are mine. It that really that difficult to understand. I know as an armed citizen in todays world I must follow the law and take responsibility for my weapon. I don't intend to loose my right to bear arms and sure don't want to hear stories about small children picking up a gun or give some idiot a free gun when he steals my vehicle. Now with that said, I have been in one gun fight with theifs and won, I've raised two boys and never had an incident where they got hold of the weapon and I've had two vehicles broken into and another one stolen from my driveway and guess what. I still have my weapon because I didn't leave it laying around or unattended. That's just my story from 32 years of CCW. All I'm trying to do is spread my successful experience with others. Sorry is I sound anti-gun. Being pro-gun doesn't mean everything goes. We have to comprimise while trying to live within the general public.

#33 ·
Hoosierdaddy, are you serious. Did you ever hear about being responsible for your actions. I've been carying a gun for over 32 years but I take action to make sure the only hands that touch my gun are mine. It that really that difficult to understand.
It sure isn't. If you're that worried about a gun accident or someone stealing your gun then stay the fuck away from guns but don't go around telling people to leave it at home locked in a safe where it's absolutely worthless. I guess you don't understand the comcept of it's worthless for protection if you can't get to it or don't have it because you left it at home. Just because you can't have your hand on it 100% of the time doesn't mean you should have it close by. Oh and BTW I've been carrying for 21 yrs. If you've been carrying for 32 yrs you've got a little bit on me but I grew up with guns in my hands and it's not like I just started carrying with a permit last week.

I know as an armed citizen in todays world I must follow the law and take responsibility for my weapon. I don't intend to loose my right to bear arms and sure don't want to hear stories about small children picking up a gun or give some idiot a free gun when he steals my vehicle.
So you'd rather take the chance of needing and not having than chance it getting stolen if your car got stolen. You knock yourself out with that shit. That's a chance I'll never take and I can promise you, from all the conversations I've had with gun enthusiasts and with other people in general all my life, you are damn near by yourself on this one.

Now with that said, I have been in one gun fight with theifs and won
Hopefully you removed some trash from the gene pool.

I've raised two boys and never had an incident where they got hold of the weapon and I've had two vehicles broken into and another one stolen from my driveway and guess what. I still have my weapon because I didn't leave it laying around or unattended.
I have one daughter and have never had a gun problem with here. She's twelve and is about to start shooting big guns soon. I've had one truck broken into in my front yard but the gun was inside with me. On a side note I've never advocated leaving a gun in the car all the time but I know a bunch of people that do. I will leave it in the car/truck if I'm going somewhere like the courthouse where I can't
take it in.

Sorry is I sound anti-gun.
You don't sound anti-gun, you sound gun scared as in you are more worried about the bad things that could/might happen as a result of a gun being around you than you like the protection one offers while in a conmpetent person's hands. You sound like one of those people that go so far to the extreme of keeping your gun and those around it safe that it almost offers you no protection at all. You sound like one of those people that think all guns should locked in a safe at all times with a trigger lock on it and the ammo locked in another safe at the other end of the house. Whether you know it or not that's the type of person you come across as and people like that do not have guns for protection because their guns cannot protect them when needed due to being locked up at all times.

Being pro-gun doesn't mean everything goes. We have to comprimise while trying to live within the general public.
I'll agree with this but you don't sound like you are doing a very good job of compromising because you are leaning way too far to the safety side of the compromise to be able to fully protect yourself and your family.

#21 ·
Here in MA if you're caught with a unlocked gun with kids in house that could pick it up you lose permit and face a $10k fine so keep them locked with kids but I agree with teaching kids about them I've been aroud them all my life so there was never the WOW reaction with them.

#35 ·
Bullshit laws like this come from people that think it's not possible to have an unlocked gun in the house and have it where the kids cannot get to it at the same time. They also don't want you to have a gun for protection. That's what the police are for you know.

#22 ·
I have a nice, decorative gun cabinet with glass inserts in the doors. It has locks on the doors but I know damn good and well if I yank on the door hard enough, the little piss-ant lock will be toast and I'll have access to my fully loaded firearms.

It's enough of a deterrent for the kids because they would scratch (at the very least, most likely BREAK) the wood cabinet in an OBVIOUS fashion to get to my guns and there would be HELL TO PAY. They have ALL shot them and know absolutely how to use them.
My 11yo and 17yo go shooting with me a few times a year and the 5yo I don't think even has enough ass to break the piss-ant lock, so he would have to bust the etched glass out of the front of the cabinet.....Something I don't think he would ever do.

Also keep in mind I or my wife is home with the kids at all times. They aren't left unsupervised. That always seems to lead to trouble.

I also have several dogs outside (yard is fenced with 6' chain-link) and a chihuahua inside (noisiest little bastard known to man I swear!!) so NO-ONE'S gonna "SNEAK" in.

As for collateral damage.....I keep hollow points (frangible) in my 9mm and the shotgun loaded with #4 lead shot so I'm trying to minimize any chance of "Over or EXTRA penetration"..

And just in case anyone is wondering, YES.....I've got the t-shirt.

At 18, I was still living at home and going to night school. I didn't get home until midnight.
One night after getting out of the shower and just laying down, I heard the mini-starter on my hotrod. I hollered through the house to my Mom (the only other person in the house that would attempt to drive it) and made sure it wasn't her and then made my way outside. Along the way, I passed at LEAST 10 different firearms that my Dad ALWAYS kept loaded and chose to grab a .410 on the way out the door. The would-be car thief jumped out of the car as soon as the front door of the house opened and RAN for the fence (about 20 yards away from me). I leveled the shotgun and let a round go right as he was jumping the 4' fence. He fell over the fence (lost his balance mid-flight) and landed face down, bounced right up and continued to HAUL ASS!!! I then opened the breach to find the .410 was loaded with #6 steel instead of the slug it was normally loaded with because Dad had just used it earlier to shoot a possum.

No biggie.....He never came back and the police were never called. A couple shady friends did run into his in the backside of the neighborhood almost a year later were he was "Showing off" his scar on his back and they took matters in their own hands......LITERALLY!!! I supplied the ice for their beer and hands for the rest of the evening. I don't know to this day how badly "Big Jay" beat him, but at 5'10" 300#'s and built like a brick shit-house (with a few screws loose upstairs) I really don't want to know!!! I know his hands looked like he had been beating on an oak tree.:)

#23 ·
I agree with teaching kids proper, but not a 3 year old. I told him not to touch the muffler on my lawn mower. He grabbed it, 2nd degree burn to the whole palm of his hand. Figuring he learned his lesson, 2 months he did it again. I blame myself for trusting him at that age. I will not blame myself for an accidental shooting. It makes me sick just to think about that.

I like the biometric lock box idea. I also like the alarm idea, but when we looked at them in the past they all required a phone line for monitoring and we don't have that, however I'd be straight with just using it as an advanced warning system!

#24 ·
Half the alarm is the 150db horn you put in you attic vents so when it goes off everyone on your block knows something is happening. Alot of people start off with the monitoring and end up turning it off after the first year. Some one that depends on a monitored alarm to save there life probably don't own a firearm.

#25 ·
I got my alarm for mostly when I'm not there to protect my property. It has a cellular backup and you can go cellular only as well. The added bonus of it alerting me while sleeping that a door has opened or motion has been detected is nice. Hopefully the siren is enough to scare them away so as I don't have to make a mess of them in my house.

#26 ·
I agree with having a dog...I have 3 of them and if there is just a slight noise outside, even with the windows and doors shut, they can detect something is off key and they start giving that alarm bark..Im a sound sleeper so they know how to get me up..

now heres a down turn to keeping a loaded gun next to the bed..20 years ago I was going thru a break up in my 1st marriage...my X and her daughter were staying with her mom...the house i had was very big and open spaced..I would sleep in the family room on the couch with a Glock 19, not chambered, tucked under my pillow...I had a weird dream that actualy woke me, still in a sleep state I grabbed the Glock and racked one in and fired...still in the sleep state I started pulling back the reciever as to rerack...this is all in my sleep...and took only seconds...

I awoke after the bullet had gone thru the metal supports of the couch, missing my dog, and
ricocheting off the fireplace stone and hitting me in the ankle...luckily the bullet didnt have enough energy to penetrate the skin but it sure gave me a wallop..

lesson here...dont sleep with loaded guns

also you may want to look into one of those bedside safes that uses your palm/fingers to manipulate...

#27 ·

Saturday night at midnight, a shithead walked through this guys unlocked front door. He and his wife were sleeping (don't know if on the couch, in their chairs, or bedroom) and started beating them with a chair! Somehow the homeowner got a gun and shot the shithead and himself during the struggle (non life threatening). The shithead made it out the door and died on the front yard.

I wonder how many locked doors the shithead found before the unlocked door he entered????

#30 ·
It's interesting seeing all the justifications folks have for thinking one way or another. I appreciate you boys sharing regardless of whether or not I agree with you. It's discussion like this that makes us better.

Perspective is invaluable in understanding ourselves and eachother.

Gotta know what makes everything tick so we can fuck with it huh? :)

#39 ·
It's interesting seeing all the justifications folks have for thinking one way or another. I appreciate you boys sharing regardless of whether or not I agree with you. It's discussion like this that makes us better.

Perspective is invaluable in understanding ourselves and eachother.

Gotta know what makes everything tick so we can understand it better :)
Fixed and VERY well said. Whether you agree with them or not, the more opinions the better like two heads are better than one.

#41 ·
No I am going to stop and not contribute to the insanity. I just find it funny that someone who has never been in a gunfight or shot at anyone is trying to tell another person who has been in a gunfight how to act.

That's like someone who has never been in the military telling me how it should fighting wars or conduct of the military. I would more than likely tell them to go fuck themselves.

But Charliep ain't me.

#49 ·
None of my guns are locked up, BUT I have no children in the house. When kids come over I lock them up.

IF someone tried to get into my house they better be wearing head to toe body armour to get passed my 2 Dobermans.

#71 ·
LoL , That's funny Charlie, you don't know anything about Doberman's do ya. They would much rather eat a human than eat a steak !

I have trained mine not to accept food from anyone but my family. I proved this to my brother who they see everyday. He tried to give them doggy treats and they just looked at him. I had to go over and pick the treats up and hand them to the dogs before they would touch them.

#54 ·
Each individual has to decide what is safe, and what is right for themselves and their families. I don't like someone telling me how to run my house, no one else does either. Doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you've been in a gunfight. Where I live, we have a very small chance someone will break into our house, while we are at home. Just does not happen here, unless there are extenuating circumstances. Pretty good chance this would have never happened if the guy had just locked the door. Seems like the first, simplest step to keep people out of your house. A gun that is bought for personal protection, is absolutely no use if it's locked in a safe, period. If you choose to lock it in a safe, then you are at the mercy of anyone who tries to harm you, if you don't have enough time to get to the gun, bottom line. Might as well not own it in the first place. That said, there are obviously many responsibilities that go along with having a gun ready at all times to defend yourself. You either accept those responsibilities, and plan accordingly, or not. It's your choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.