Yellow Bullet Forums banner

what gun would you NEVER buy?

11K views 115 replies 63 participants last post by  LX5.0 
#1 ·
you see a bunch of threads on this gun or that gun is great but never one on "this thing was junk"! I just got my permit the other day and plan to purchase soon and would kind of like to know what to stay away from.

leaning towards either a glock or xd/xdm something in a .40 and possibly for conceal and carry.

#2 · (Edited)
I just got into handgun purchasing about 2 years back so I'll give you the best advice I was given. Find a shop/store that will allow you to shoot some handguns and just start "getting a feel" for several different gun models, calibers and manufacturers. I tried out several and my first purchase was a Springfield XD45. I have since added Beretta (x2), FN (x1), Ruger (x2), ATI (x1) and Taurus (x2) to my collection. I also have Sig, HK and Colt on my short list for next purchases.

#22 ·
Any High Dollar 1911. They are a great gun with 101 years of history, that owes much of its popularity to Jeff Cooper, and all of his articles for Guns 'n Ammo in the '60's & '70's. For around $500 you can get a Smith M&P or a Sprgfld XD in .45 and with the extra money, buy a bunch of ammo and practice with a better more reliable firearm.
And before I get slammed for '1911 heresy', let me say I carried a 1911-A1 in combat and had to use it twice during an M-60 failure. Like I said, a great gun and an historical icon, but not worth spending a ton of money on it.

#55 ·
I carried a Jim Clark built 1911a1 (an actual Colt built one at that) for a tour in the combat zone. Got it in a poker game up on LZ West, and that gun never failed me ever. There were a couple things in that gun I didn't like (blocked grip saftey and the barrel bushing was extremely tight), but for a Sunday goto metting gun it was hard to beat
gary

#26 ·
My Tauras 9mm semi auto (copy of the Baretta) shoots perfectly with no issues.

For me the 'no buy ever' gun would be a Glock. The tupperware feeling just isnt for me I guess. Lots like them, I wouldnt own one, different strokes I guess.

#28 · (Edited)
Anti: S&W Sigma's, hi-point, scared of Taurus plastic guns , not a big Glock fan (lack of safety reasons, they are reliable), Cheap 1911's

Pro: XD or XDm; Beretta 92/96; Springfield,Colt, hell Norinco -1911's (flame away on the Norinco, but I have or had all of these listed and it is just a nice as the others, flame ONLY if you've owned one.)

#29 ·
Never had an issue with Taurus handguns. I own a pt145 a 24/7 and a ultralight .38. No issues with any.

I 100% agree on the no hi point and Jennings. I picked up a used hi point for $70 at a show figuring I could keep it in mud truck or on the boat and if it got scratched and fucked up be it. After attempting to shoot 5 rounds it was a Target to pre ban Thompson .45.

#56 ·
a few months back I ran over 90 rounds thru an Olympic Ar15 chambered in 5.56. The rifle shot .60 groups, one right after another. The loads were built for my 700VS with 55 grain Vamx bullets over BLC2 at 3270 fps in a 20" barrel. The trigger took some getting used to, and that round forend sucked. Otherwise I think it would have been a half inch gun.

On the otherhand the Olympic copies of the High Standard 22's were nothing to write home about
gary

#37 ·
Smith & Wesson 5xxx series. I cant remember the exact model numbers and S&W doesnt list them on their site anymore (probably good reason). My old man had one in 45acp and a buddy had one in 9mm. Both were very inaccurate and not very reliable from what I remember.

Add me to the Glock list also. For no other reason than I dont like the feel of them in my hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.