Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Curry

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Jsinned 
#1 ·
We have tried to make it at home and every time it sucks. The restaurant stuff I could eat every day, I would love some good recipies.

Anybody have some?

#2 ·
Good question, I have had the same experience. Anyone?

#8 ·
BUMP

I'm really craving for some good curry, and I don't want to eat pre-made, processed stuff. I want a good chicken curry recipe I make myself at home. I need to be able to make it mild for the wife and then add some zing for me!

#5 ·
#7 ·
Try this out...

Shirwa’t Kirtopeh/Kari
(Curried Potato Stew)
4 SERVINGS
1 lb. stew beef with bones
2 T. vegetable oil
4 medium potatoes, cubed
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 oz. tomato paste
2 tsp. salt
1 T. curry powder
1/2 T. paprika
Cut meat into 3” pieces and wash in a strainer, until the water runs clear.
Place in a 5 qt. Dutch oven and add 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then
cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove meat from the pot and pour out
any remaining liquid. Rinse the pot.
In the same pot, add oil and potatoes, fry until golden brown. Add the onion,
garlic and meat and fry until the onion is cooked and the meat is browned.
In a separate saucepan, stir the tomato paste, salt, curry and paprika into 4
cups of water and bring to a boil. Pour over the ingredients in the first pot and
simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked. Serve
over white rice.

#10 ·
Darn, I did not know that there were that many different kinds of curry.

What is the difference between Asian and Indian curry? I was originally thinking of Indian style, but don't really know the difference.

#12 ·
I made this yesterday and I'm not sure what you would call it, but it was darn good and spicy! I just googled a few curry recipes and used what ever spices I had on hand.

1 TB paprika
1/2 TB curry powder
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp ground all spice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
pinch cayenne
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried cilantro
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 sliced jalapenos
1/3 cup olive oil

mix all spices in with the olive oil and cook over med heat.

after a few minutes add chicken (breast cubed)

after chicken is browned, add cup of water and some dry rice. Cook until rice is ready.

It was pretty good and SPICY with the jalapenos, red pepper flakes and cayenne.

#14 ·
I've tried making my own indian curry twice, came out bad. I'll give it another go sometime.

Here is the recipe from above. I modified it a bit. I am going to keep tweaking it until I am totally happy with it. I'm not sure if you could call it curry, but it is flavorful, spicy and good.

1 TB paprika
1/2 TB curry powder
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp ground all spice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
pinch cayenne
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried cilantro
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 sliced jalapenos
1/3 cup olive oil

mix all spices adn veggies in with the olive oil and cook over med heat.

after a few minutes add 2 cups chicken breast cubed. You can also add okra, but may need to up the spices a bit.

after chicken is browned, add cup of water and some dry rice. Cook until rice is ready.

#15 ·

There are only a few places for Indian curry here and I haven't tried them. This is closer to Japanese curry and is tasty.
Beef Curry - Brown meat in oil, cover meat with water and boil until soft. Add potatoes, carrots, onion, celery. Separate some of the hot water to dissolve the curry cubes. Combine and serve.

For a sweeter chicken curry
Brown chicken breasts/thighs and roughly chopped onion in butter. Add cubed potatoes. Cover with water and boil until soft. Separate some water to dissolve the curry cubes. Combine. Let thicken and add 1/2 to 1 can of coconut milk, depending on your tastes. I like to use the hot curry instead of the medium because of the added sweetness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.