Yellow Bullet Forums banner

426 Hemi Vs 427 Chevy

64K views 234 replies 82 participants last post by  turbofreek 
#1 ·
OK Seemed the Other 340 Vs 350 thread was a good debate....so

Which engine would make the most power, run the quickest in a similar setup car?

Lets say this will include stroker engines up to 572 inches. Must us heads that have stock valve lay outs, and standard port location heads. Compression limited to 13:1 and under. Solid Flat Tappet cam. CNC porting allowed. The Chevy can run a CNC aluminum head but again must remain stock layout.. The Hemi can use the new MP Stock replacement head made By Edelbrock sold only through Mopar Perormance, or stage V SR's. Any given Cast intake, multi carbs allowed.

BTW
I have a little inside on what the MP heads will flow CNC ported.
My heads ported through Jeff K at Modern Cylinder Head flows 440+ @.700 lift and do not fall off on the intake, and about 280+ on the Exh.. The heads flow 370+ at .500 lift:cool:

#8 ·
LOL. Another one of these threads. I think any battle between brands needs to be regarding stock type stuff. Otherwise, your basically comparing the aftermarket world...not Mopar vs Chevy.
That being said, stock for stock, nothing comes close to the elephant. I think the Boss 429 is the next in line. American Muscle Car(on Speed channel) did a comparison on all the engines awhile back that I saw. They were all stock internals, bored .030 over I think.
The Hemi was nearly 800 horse, and the Boss 429 was in second with somewhere around 650-675 horse I believe. Ill look for it online...

Kyle

#28 ·
LOL. Another one of these threads. I think any battle between brands needs to be regarding stock type stuff. Otherwise, your basically comparing the aftermarket world...not Mopar vs Chevy.
That being said, stock for stock, nothing comes close to the elephant. I think the Boss 429 is the next in line. American Muscle Car(on Speed channel) did a comparison on all the engines awhile back that I saw. They were all stock internals, bored .030 over I think.
The Hemi was nearly 800 horse, and the Boss 429 was in second with somewhere around 650-675 horse I believe. Ill look for it online...

Kyle

I AGREE WITH YOU A STOCK ON STOCK COMPARRISON IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO,OR THE HOW A HEMI CAR IS INCREASED IN VALUE OVER ANY OTHER PRODUCTION CAR.
MOPAR OR NO CAR .
FINALLY THERE ARE MORE AND MORE AFTERMARKET VENDORS MAKING PARTS.
I LIKE THE NEW 572 SHORT BLOCK OFFERED FROM MOTOWN,

#12 ·
I would half to agree with ya on that. Dollar for Dollar the Hemi would cost more money. The valve train on the Hemi is were you really puts a beating on the wallet. Good valve train will cost you $2K as me how I know....The China rockers on Ebay for the Hemi is cheap both in price, and in quality.

But the block and heads can be had for about $5K bare block, and assembled heads, which isnt CNC'd so add nudder $1250 for Porting and better springs retainers and locks.

#18 ·
Heres a video of the engine shootout:
http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1873835647&channel=340485641

And heres a link to a forum where theres some discussion regarding the show and the engines. Even some quotes from the guy who built the engines. So...theres the facts. Im still sticking with the Hemi. Although, Ive heard plenty of times, that if the 6-pak carbs werent adjusted right, and they werent easy to get all in tune, the 440 would be quicker as well....

Kyle

#21 ·
If your going to look at that ZL1 package it would need to compared to the 64,65,68 Race Hemi. The 65 had aluminum heads, and a magnesium cross ram with two 770 holleys from the factory. Pretty much factory built race cars, engine packages just like the ZL1.

This Hemi would make North of 700 hp, so easy a cave man can do it....fact

#24 ·
You Mopar guys are really special. You can't win over at the 340 vs 350 debate so lets move on to another winless debate.

"Does that thing got a hemi in it" Yee haw!!!!

Boy cuzin Daisy looks mighty fine today, pass them crawdads. Go Mopar!!!!

#37 ·
What the fuck are you talking about? 'win'?
I don't live and breath computer internet and sit around at a desk all day, I work, now that I'm home I will buzz over to the the 340vs350 thread and continue to give' factual design advantages' of the 340 over the waste of shitty iron 350, while you chevy [and I don't know but ford guys as well, must be cause I left them out] make excuses and wanna compare experimental or super limited production race motors.

Your BB chevy heads flow shit and when they do flow good they have no velocity and overkill port volume and weight more than a 426 hemi head, weigh it for yourselves.

SB chevy flow squat on the dyno especially the fuelie heads.
There a couple alright heads that would be out of the box dbl hump x and potential wise believe it or not, the 307ci heads , good potential, but not as much as a mopar
j ,x,u,051 head.

#34 ·
In the past few years there really havent been any heavy hitting A/SA Hemi cars that can really beat on the index. I'm sure that there are some that are capable but I really haven't seen any mopar cars really step out on there combo. David Barton is the only one that I've seen in a while that was running low 10's. I think Bobby DeArmond pretty much owns the A/SA class with his 68 or 69 Camaro. And A/S belongs to a Ford guy, his name doesn't come to mind at the moment, he runs one of the FE monsters. And I definitely agree with the limited mopar involvement. They are definitely a minority when it comes to drag racing.

As a mopar fan, I have to go with the Hemi. And it definitely had way more than 500HP from the factory. The only downside to all of the race Hemi's is not offering a more aerodynamic body style. Those 65 Belvederes will never run with Corvette's on the top end. Way too much drag. It would be interesting to compare the drag coefficient of the Belvedere's, Fury's, 330's vs. those of the Corvettes.

#26 ·
I believe the Hemis have their own SS class...because they would dominate if raced with the others. As for losing the 340 debate...theres one guy over there that wants to do the dyno build off thing...other than that, the majority of people think the 340 would hand it to them 350 I believe.
Kyle

#33 ·
My dad races in the F.A.S.T series and the quickest car is a Corvette but the Fastest car is Hemi Road Runner that has run 10.40 at 135 on bias ply repop tires. These cars can do anything internally to the motors but they must have factory blocks, cylinder heads, exhuast manifolds,intake, and carbs

#36 ·
The hemi.

Funny how chevy guys wanna pull out some experimental race engine.lol

#43 ·
I can tell you that back when NHRA started Pro Stock in 1970 all big blocks ran at seven pound per cubic inch with most guys running motors around 432 cu in. Ronnie Sox was the first world champ. With the likes of Herb Mc Candless, Don Carlton, Mike Fons, Don Grother (spell) Jim Wick and host of others they were tuff to beat. But I'm not saying that the 427 Chevy could'nt run with them because every body ran mostly factory parts (thats about all there was) it was who could build a better mouse trap with them and got the job done.. Around 1972 or 73 Chrysler pulled out of Pro Stock because NHRA started to hit them with weight to make it "fair" so the other guys could keep up. This was also about the time the small blocks advantage with a weight break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.