Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Koloche's

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  skosler 
#1 ·
My wife and I used to live in Houston and loved koloches.

Can anyone share a good koloche recipe or point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Travis

#2 ·
Now you're talking! I have tried numerous recipes off the web and I cannot get it right. I'm not sure if it is teh recipe or my lack of baking skills. These turned out good, but not exactly what I was wanting. The is a store in La Grange, TX called weikels and they have the most awesome dough. It is very light, fluffy and sweet. The ones I made below have a less sweet and definately denser dough.

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2007/03/sweet-escape-kolaches.html

I thought about buying some of those weikel kolaces and having a professional baker reverse engineer the dough, LOL!

I am referring to Czech style kolaces, by the way. I have Czech heritage and have eaten tons of kolaces.

#3 ·
I just found this one too. I may try it soon.

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/bohemianczechdesserts/r/Czech-Sweet-Rolls-Recipe-Kolace.htm

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Rise time: 2 hours

Total Time: 2 hours, 50 minutes

Yield: 3 dozen Czech Kolace

Ingredients:

Preparation:

1. To make the dough: In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 3/4 cup warm water, blending with a fork. Set aside.
  2. In a blender or food processor, place warm milk, potato flakes, salt, 3/4 cup sugar, eggs, and oil. Blend until well mixed.
  3. Place 4 cups flour into a large bowl or stand mixer bowl fitted with a paddle attachment. Add mixture from blender and mix. Add yeast and up to 1 additional cup of flour if dough is too sticky. Mix until the dough is smooth. It will be sticky. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled.
  4. Using a medium cookie scoop, portion out equal-sized pieces of dough, and roll into a ball. Place on parchment-lined baking pan, brush with oil and cover with plastic wrap and let rise until almost doubled.
  5. Meanwhile, make the streusel topping. In a medium bowl, cut 1/4 cup butter into flour that has been mixed with sugar and coconut (if using) until coarse crumbs result. Set aside. Using the bottom of a floured glass or with your fingers, make an indentation in the tops of the kolace and dollop with your favorite filling. Add streusel on top and bake for 11 to 12 minutes.
  6. Remove from oven and brush sides of kolace with a mixture of 3 tablespoons hot water mixed with 1 tablespoon sugar, or melted butter. These will freeze well but, because they don't contain preservatives, they will stale quickly at room temperature or when refrigerated, but try microwaving them briefly to warm them for a just-baked taste.

#5 ·
I will try those. My favorite were from koloche factory, jalapeño, sausage, and cheese !!
In my opinion, the kolache factory has NOTHING on the small town, authetic czech bakeries.

#7 ·
You just cannot get good kolaches outside of Texas, just like you can't get good Cajun food outside of south Louisiana. In spite of what Obama says, these people know what they are doing. Just imagine what a goverment kolache would taste like and cost.

#9 ·
#11 ·
Oh, you guys are making me drool! I haven't had a Kolace in 20 years, since I used to live in Houston! (I'm in Washington State now) They were my absolute most favorite food, right next to fried okra! I need to make a trip down there in the next year or 2 and they will definitely be on my list! :) There is no food as good as in the South...

#12 ·
well, i'd have to agree...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.