Yellow Bullet Forums banner

ArkAngel 64 Chevelle build for 9.90 Renegade Racing series

244K views 2K replies 124 participants last post by  rosco15 
#1 ·
Well, I have decided to Post a thread to follow the building of my 1964 Chevelle 300 (2 door sedan) dual purpose (Heads up and Bracket car) race car. I will be documenting what it takes to build a Mid to High 9 second race car from a rolling chassis to a finished race car and then slow it down, to run the Renegade Racing Associations NEW 10.50 Heads Up class (Renegaderacingassociation.com). This car will also be my 9 second Bracket car, that I race the No Box class with. It will be raced in the North East Ohio area @ Norwalk/Summit Motorsport Park, Thompsons, Dragway 42 and Quakercity.

History: I bought the car in October 2009 from a guy in Boston as a rolling chassis, no motor, no trans. He pulled them for the sale. I paid WAY under $8,000 for it, because I looked long and hard for a new car. I found it on RacingJunk after I sold my 1981 Tube chassis Camaro on Ebay. I lucked out because the previous owner was a body man and he was proud to send me 20+ pics of it, inside and out, including underneath of it, while it was on a lift! I received WAY more value for the money I paid, because I was patient and diligent and I was able to talk him down a bit.

I am a big guy (6'2" 350+) and I was looking for a car that was larger than my 81 tube chassis Camaro, which I did not fit inside so I sold it, or my 67 Tube chassis Camaro (The Original ArkAngel), 1927T altered or my 1968 Chevelle 2 door sedan that I had previously.

Here are the specs as I received the car:
1964 Chevelle 300 2 door sedan. RARE Original V8 car (5411 model code) ONLY 4,593 MADE.

The Previous owner had (and removed for the sale) a BBC 496 w/ Brodix heads and a Glide.
He said it ran 9.60-9.70 (1/4) @ 3050 lbs w/o driver.

Body:
Fiberglass Cowl Hood, Fenders, Bumpers and Trunk lid. Stock roll up windows. New quarters. ALL Stock trim reinstalled. Sonic Blue paint.

Interior:
Stock floors cutout and steel PLATE floors installed.
Cage has every bar to Cert to 25.3 but I don't know if it will. We will see.
Stock instrument panel (cut up) w/aluminum guage insert installed.
1- JAZ type molded Hi back racing seat.
Current (RCI?) 5-point harness seat belt.
B&M Pro stick (T-handle??) for a Glide w/Aluminum cover and cable.
Roll cage mounted switch panel (6 switches).
Autometer Monster tach w/memory.
Autometer Ultralite 2-5/8" Oil Pressure and Water temp guage.
Small Autometer Ultralite Volt meter
Outside cowl mounted Autometer 2 5/8 ultralite fuel pressure guage
Oldschool Wooden steering wheel
Fire extinguisher

Chassis: Stock front suspension with Moroso frt springs and Drag shocks (I forget the brand).
Backhalved w/4 link and Track bar.
Chassis Engineering (old school) Adjustable coil overs (they look new).
12-Bolt rear. Strange axles. Strange Housing ends (therefore no c-clip eliminators) Strange spool. Richmond 4.88 gears. Welded pumpkin.
Stock rear Drum brakes
Stock "newer" Chevelle front Disc brakes w/linelock

Rims and Tires:
Weld Drag Stars, 14x5" frt. 14x12" rr.
M/T Frt tires 3.5"
M/T rear tires 13x31"

Trunk compartment:
Aluminum 5 Gallon fuel cell (blue).
Red top Optima battery
Aluminum trunk floor panels
B/G 280 Fuel pump and filter
Blue 5/8 Line to the front fuel regulator and then dual line to the carb

Engine compartment:
Aluminum motor plate
Becool Radiator and electric fan
Overflow tank
Hooker Super Comp Headers

Electronics: MSD 7AL-2
MSD starter saver,
MSD 2-step,
MSD Pro Power Coil,
Relays etcet.

I will post pics:

See less See more
#116 · (Edited)
Re: ArkAngel 64 Chevelle build for 10.50 Renegade Racing series

The above photo shows the finished results. I still may one day soon (or later on) have a slanted bar, just like the other side of the funnycar cage welded in. We will see. But for now I will paint the cage and call it done.
Also, as you can see, on the steering column in the last picture, I am fixing the imperfections and I will be repainting the dash soon.

#121 ·

I should have the interior done and together in the next week or so. I have to rewire it and then on to the Motor Build and installation. Probably done by the end of June...I hope. I have most of the parts but I am trying to do it right the first time, so I am taking my time.

#129 ·

You're not kidding. All my car needs to be finished is rear brake lines and some minor details but every time I'm home and free it's raining (no garage space either dad's junk is in there). Cars been sitting like this for weeks...

#130 ·

Figures.... I took the day off from working on the Chevelle (Norma Jean) and I went to the NHRA Divisional race at Norwalk today and I was there for 6 hours and ONLY got to see about 30 minutes of racing! It rained....twice.... and there were TWO oil downs and the rest of the time was spent waiting for clean ups and the track to dry and then after a two plus hour wait.... we left! I wish I had stayed at home and worked on the Chevelle!

#131 ·

and you told me I should stay (lol)! plus the young guy with me was my pops and he's in his 80's. it got cold and my knees started hurting bad. it was time for me to go. that's one of the things that keep me from working on my car, but shortly motor will be back and we're gonna try and make last two races.

#135 · (Edited)

It stopped raining today and I took advantage of it. I untaped the tach and it came out ok. I also sanded the parts of the dash that I repaired. I tack ragged it and I resprayed it. It came out excellent! The pics are below. I will be buying Roll cage paint tomorrow, probably the brush on hammer finish kind and I will be sanding prepping and painting the cage tomorrow. I hope to start by noon and finish by sundown... we will see. Hopefully reassembly of the interior will start soon as the cage dries and then the rewiring will commence. That part should be fun! I am eager to get done and to get out to the track!

#139 · (Edited)

I painted the cage yesterday as I mentioned previously. I scuffed, blew out, wiped down the cage and then I used a new, 2 inch paint brush (the sponge type DID NOT work, so I used a regular paint brush) to paint the cage. I bought a Quart of Rustoleum Hammer finish Gloss Black paint for $14 that I bought at Lowes (Home Depot did NOT have any), as was recommended in a few YB threads I found previously when I Searched "Roll cage painting", using the YB search feature.
As was mentioned in those threads the Gloss Black is actually a Gunmetal Gray as you can see in the pictures. Stir it well! It spreads on well, but sets up FAST! You have to spread it on quickly to get your coverage and then hit it with a final "appearance stroke" you will find out, as you start to paint. I reapeat... this stuff sets up FAST! In 3-5 minutes you will not be able to GO BACK OVER IT!
I started in the back, and worked my way forward, and then outward toward the doors. I do have a few spots to touch up that I missed, but as the instructions on the can say, I will have to wait a few days to do so.

WHEN PAINTING WITH HAMMERTONE PAINT, BE PREPARED TO NOT HAVE A SMOOTH FINISH!! IT IS TEXTURED PAINT AND YOU CAN SEE AND TOUCH THE TEXTURE. I used the gloss Hammer finished paint.

Here are some pictures.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.