Yellow Bullet Forums banner

ALUMINUM HEADER?? IS IT POSSIBLE?

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  11613-bentwrench 
#1 ·
Well I need to build a header for my inline 6 that is going in the dragster for Comp Elim. this coming year. Of course everyone says make out of stainless. OK, since I'm going to machine my own flange, Why not aluminum? I can't seem to find any info if it has been done, which I'm sure it has, so there must be some major negatives?? In my minuscule mind I can't think of many cons but see a lot of pros? I can build a thick flange to cut down on warpage, say 3/4 or 1" thick, Maybe go with a little heavier wall on the tubing so I'm not blowing holes when welding it up. It would cool faster, look neat all polished? Someone tell me why steel or SS would be better?

#3 ·
Pontiac and I believe Ford used cast aluminum exhaust headers back in the early 60's. Let's just say that it didn't work for them. Wonder why???

#17 ·
they did work for about a minute, after that they turned to mush ... even when someone tried the TO coating inside of them which made them last a little longer .

( I seen the effects on a set they slumped real bad and often melted at the exit port . and the casting was heavier than stock in thickness )

as for tubing , take a propane torch to a beer can and it will answer your question .

#6 ·
Is methanol exhaust cooler than gasoline exhaust??

What if it was jethot coated??? This would really be great advertizing if jethot could keep an aluminum header from melting.

Titanium??

What kind of 6 banger we talking about? Interested!!

#11 ·
Guy Forbrook ran some on Jac Haudenschild's World of Outlaws sprint car back in '98, I think. Dynatec may have built them. Only used for two time trial laps per night, then steel back on for racing. Don't think they lasted more than 10 races or so. Probably just to due cracking. Appeared to be coated, too-very shiny, even for aluminum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.