Yellow Bullet Forums banner

hood scoop ram air function?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  71 chevy 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me the math on Pro stock style hood scoops ? For example; what is the inlet area & why ? how much positive pressure is created at how much mph ? Is the convex shape for air distribution on dual carbs/ does it change for single carb ? Does the gross height affect the airflow ? Are there any simulations we could watch ? THX

#2 ·
im just a farm hick .i don't have data for all kinds of scoop shapes and dimensions.the scoop opening and frontal area will all regulate results.i have a vette with ol school 800 inch deal.it has scoop opening scoop area that allows for about 55 square inch.it achieves one psi of positive pressure around 85 mph.there are new style scoops and frontal areas on cars that will allow that at lower mph.i have heard guys talk that at near 100 mph is where they see it.hopefully somebody with better concept of it will answer you.im interested in learning more also.
Vinny

#4 · (Edited)
thanx for sharing that.i have thought for along time i was seeing something wrong with the results i was getting.you talk to other guys and show them data and they agree with you because they don't know or don't want you too.i kind of gave up to what i was seeing as to being ok.will try a few things that were written or on that chart in other thread that will help considerably.was hoping i would learn something from this and i did.yb has some sharp guys in almost every aspect of race car tech.thanx again for the read....

#6 ·
think you really need a manometer to pin point a scoop/areo combo and how it will effect performance .we spent hours getting the inlet right on the old winston cup car

#7 ·
I tested and datalogged a simple hood scoop. 4" round opening. it was worth 1kpa up to about 80mph and 3kpa psi from 80mph on vs an open throttle body with no scoop

I didnt get good data on the et or mph improvement . maybe next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.