Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Let's talk Harmonic Balancers!!!

24K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  skipnay 
#1 ·
What kind do I want first off right? I do know I need an internal balance one. So basicly I was going to get one for this motor NA. But instead of buying another one when I get the turbo I thought about getting one that will handle the power of the turbo. So basicly it needs to work on 9.5 deck SBF NA then with a 91 mm turbo probably making 800-1200 RWHP. I was looking into the innovators west ( http://www.innovatorswest.com/207-SBF-Damper.html ) Then iI realized it said I have to use a 6 bolt chevy pulley. Do they make that with a serpintine belt so I can use my alternator? I'm thinking of using the Proform or Meziere.

I also noticed for $225 more you can get the flying magnet crank trigger option. Which it get's rid of your separate Crank Trigger Wheel by integrating it into the Damper itself! - Saves on average about 9 Ounces over the MSD Crank Trigger Wheel.

So am I looking at the right place doing the right thing?

#2 ·
I have seen an Innovator's West and it looked like a quality unit but I have not used them. Here is what I use, I use ATI or Pro Race Brand, Pro Race Series. Don't use Pro Race's "Pro Street" or "Pro Sport" series.

#5 ·
i have seen some of the posts that somebody from Innovators West did here.

From what I could gather, THEY (Innovators West) will be on my next engine.

Their customer service was second to none, they wanted to take care of thier customers.

Try a search for Innovators West.

Your Pal, Gary

#7 ·
If you are wanting to keep stock style pulleys, use the #204 damper. http://www.innovatorswest.com/204-SBF-Damper.html It still uses the stock 4-bolt pulley mounting and will be fine at those power levels. Like you mentioned we can incorporate the magnets into the damper easily. Another option would be to use that #207 damper with the #948 crank mandrel. http://www.innovatorswest.com/948-Crank-Mandrel.html Then you would just need to get a hold of a drive pulley to fit the mandrel that would drive the alternator. The #207 damper also requires an electric or remote mount water pump due to its increased diameter. While both dampers would work for your combo, the #204 route is the more "bolt on" option.

Chris

#9 ·
Just got off the phone with them and the guy pointed me in the direction of the 204. Basicly I don't remember the guys name but he used the 204 on his motor with a 101 mm and made over 1300 RWHP. Basicly told me that that power rating is for blower motors because they are harder on the harmonic balancer being run by a pulley bolted onto the balancer. It's not going to hurt or be as hard on NA or Turbo build. I thought I would add this that way if anyone ever wanted to go this route they realized what I did and what worked.

#10 ·
Have an IW damper on a N/A 406 thats in my Nephew's Camaro. Great product and customer service. The snout on my crank was on the small side of the tolerance and the damper hub on the large side. I called IW and they said no problem, send it back in and we'll swap out the hubs after honing it to the size I requested.

#11 ·
The power rating is more a guideline for N/A hp. If you were pushing the combo past the 1200-1300 rwhp range the #207 would probably be the better fit, but along with the #207 comes the GM bolt pattern mandrel drives (and/or pulleys) and the change in water pumps. Up to that 1200-1300 rwhp range the #204 has proven its self to be capable on numerous combo's and it has the advantage of being a more bolt on style damper.

#14 ·
Charlie is like 10 minutes from me if that. I would've called and talk to him but 2 days in a row I'm horser then horse and people at my work can't understand so I'm sure they won't understand a word I'm saying!!!

#15 ·
I prefer ATI balancer with its 360 timing mark. The IW balancer is 2 degree one side and 20 on the other. We just installed IW balancer never run and the hub cracked right along the key way and in a different area of the hub. Everything measured fine and went on easy all the way down then popped. A blower is being used and hub had two key ways but they said it wasn't a blower hub lol. Why would you need two keys unless it was with a blower. It's a nice looking damper just wouldn't be my choice my ATI damper uses 8 bolts with my blower.

#17 ·
The newer dampers have the degree marks every 2 degree's all the way around the damper. That damper that was returned was actually built in 09, but the hub did look new so I assume it had a hub replaced at one point. The hub didn't break because it wasn't a blower hub. There was an issue with the keyways in the hub. If you are Tony, or you know Tony, have him call me. I just need to verify where he wants it return shipped to but we are taking care of the hub replacement at no charge. Also let him know, if he wants 8 bolts we have that option too that I can add to this damper while its here.

Chris

#16 ·
There's ATI and then everybody else.

#21 ·
That is cool the new ones having timing marks the whole way around now.

#30 · (Edited)
My motor has had two Callies Magnum cranks break right behind the timing gear with the ATI damper. Now I do not believe it was because of the crank or the damper but when I rebuilt it I went to a Manley crank and Fluidamper. I believe it was because old engine builder did not install timing gear right. Got a new better builder and changed crank and damper.

#32 ·
I've used both many times. Never an issue with either. Primarily use ATI because I have it in a day or two shipped ground VS 7 days ground for IW. Both companies are top notch with great customer service.

No matter what company name you pick you'll find someone who has had an issue. Be it their fault or the companies, the companies get blamed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.