Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Brake pedal won't budge with new parts.

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  IANIL8 
#1 ·
Replaced the master cylinder on my 1968 camaro due to leaking. Bolted it up filled fluid pushed the brake pedal and won't budge at all. Removed master cylinder appears the piston is free moving when depressing. I then removed o ringed black insert and reinstalled zero pedal. What am I missing system was working fine before.

#7 ·
I didn't bench bleed it I assume remove it and pump the piston until fluid comes out front and rear ports. I haven't had switched any other parts than the master cylinder. Thank for any help guys I'll try bench bleeding.
you have to block off the 2 ports and pump it until there are no air bubbles in the resivoir

#8 · (Edited)
I see you are in Texas, but when you removed MC how long was it sitting ? If there a power brake booster ?

I may be way out in left field, but perhaps there is moisture in lines or booster and with cold temps there may have frozen ? If you crack bleeds at wheel does any fluid leak out ? can you depress brake pedal with bleeds open ?

If car is in warm shop then scratch that one.

Also curious where did you get new MC from,, NAPA autozone ??? it it a re manufactured unit?

#10 ·
Guys thank you so much for the help it turns out the master cylinder didn't come with a kit to bench bleed. I made a makeshift one a bit of a mess but worked just fine. The black insert needed to be removed from the mc piston area due to it depressing the piston when installed making the brake pedal froze.

Thanks again guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.