Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Monte Smith(not a engine builder)

89K views 555 replies 154 participants last post by  Vince@SurfaceArmor 
#1 ·
Monte Smith isn't the engine builder he claims to be.

Started a motor up the other week that only had 30 pounds of oil pressure and a rear main seal leak. Long story short motor had the following things wrong.

Oil pump stopped up with metal shavings.
No rear main seal.
Only one rear main bolt was toqued.
All top rings on each piston were installed up side down.

We( not Monte) did correct the above problems and reassembled the motor. Now we are breaking Jesel rocker arm bolts out of the stands.

Per Jeff Wilkerson (Monte) needs to stick to nitrous and not engine building.

We did give Monte the chance to correct the above problems. Per Monte he had other things in line and he couldn't get to the motor right away.

#477 ·
It's over with what's done is did ,32 pages of crap that could've been handled between monte and owner of motor . Monte would've made it right but owner opted not to let him do so and that's his choice but why bash him on here

#484 ·
#483 ·
I think Kyle ruined this thread for the OP. Looks like both parties at fault now.
Kyle, stick to doing what you do best. Not sure what it is but arguing on the Internet is not working for you or your friends. If you take as much pride assembling engines as you do in grammar and punctuation then you need to find a new hobby!

#513 · (Edited)
That's a lot of shit. Monte wouldn't do that.

#517 ·
Dude everyone who owns a race car has probably had issues with there engine builder at one time or another but trust me NOT EVERY MOTOR BUILDER WOULD ADMIT HE FUCKED UP AN WOULD FIX IT AT HIS DIME!!!!! TRUST ME ON THAT....
97% of motor dont take responsibility of NO MOTOR after it leaves the shop at that point your on your own!!!!!!

#521 ·
I'll take that bet, I am set to 40 posts per page, now what?

#529 ·
Here is the one part of the story that really makes no sense to me, in fact one other person brought it up and no one ever gave an answer. How is it that the motor was sent to the machine shop and checked out, yet not taken apart?? It was said that Jeff told them the motor needed to come apart, so they picked it up and took it apart, but how would Jeff have been able to check machine work if he had never taken it apart?? Lets say he did take it apart, that would be a good reason for some of the possible "screw ups" like the loose main caps, the missing rear main, and maybe even the supposedly upside down rings. Maybe he took it apart and didn't tighten the caps down, and maybe he left the rear main seal out, and just maybe he removed the rings and was checking the piston and didn't put the rings back on right. Now I'm not blaming Jeff because all he was doing was tearing it apart to check his machine work, his job wasn't to put it back together so maybe he just half ass put it back together so it could be picked up and properly assembled.

#531 ·
Here is the one part of the story that really makes no sense to me, in fact one other person brought it up and no one ever gave an answer. How is it that the motor was sent to the machine shop and checked out, yet not taken apart?? It was said that Jeff told them the motor needed to come apart, so they picked it up and took it apart, but how would Jeff have been able to check machine work if he had never taken it apart?? Lets say he did take it apart, that would be a good reason for some of the possible "screw ups" like the loose main caps, the missing rear main, and maybe even the supposedly upside down rings. Maybe he took it apart and didn't tighten the caps down, and maybe he left the rear main seal out, and just maybe he removed the rings and was checking the piston and didn't put the rings back on right. Now I'm not blaming Jeff because all he was doing was tearing it apart to check his machine work, his job wasn't to put it back together so maybe he just half ass put it back together so it could be picked up and properly assembled.
X2, I was thinking this from day one.

You wouldn't think it would be that hard to get answered:rolleyes:.

#532 ·
Monte Smith said:
I told him to bring it back, I would repair it at 100% no charge to him and guarantee it to be 100% right and would even dyno it, on MY DIME, to make sure everything was cool. But I could not drop everything and do it right THEN, because we were leaving for Georgia. So instead of letting me fix it, they decided to come on here and trash me. Can't make everybody happy. I felt I offered to do all I could.

...there has to be more to this... see above!

#534 ·
I personally don't see a problem with Monte's offer, I'm not saying the op shouldn't be frustrated, but I do think Monte offered a very legitimate and reasonable solution.
I didn't say that I saw a problem with Monte's offer... I highlighted the fact that he offered it! ;)

Would you offer to rebuild my F450 if you didn't do anything wrong in the first place?

What I see is that we're getting side tracked with other issues when the main one has already been exposed!

#536 ·
I didn't say that I saw a problem with Monte's offer... I highlighted the fact that he offered it! ;)

Would you offer to rebuild my F450 if you didn't do anything wrong in the first place?

What I see is that we're getting side tracked with other issues when the main one has already been exposed!
I'm just commenting on the other said problems, I find it very hard to believe even a novice engine builder leaving a rear main seal out, or main caps loose, or even every ring upside down. Monte admitted to possibly not getting all the metal shavings out, but the other stuff sounds like an attempt to make Monte look bad, and not taking into consideration that the guy who did the machine work had taken the motor apart before they found all the problems, or atleast he was supposed to, to check the machine work.

#546 ·
These deals are bad for all parties involved.Its to bad it had to end up on here.This really isnt going to make it easy for either side to be satisfied now.I think reading this story that the biggest mistake made by both parties was trying to fix something that was beyond being a good piece.Good luck to both parties.Its not going to get any easier from here out.I think it took COURAGE for Monte to come on here and answer to the situation as he did.Right or wrong on what happened you are where you are now.No else can fix it.Give him the chance but these are race engines and you will have problems fixing stuff that is past wore out.

#547 ·
You need to get your facts correct.

It wasn't junk when it went to Monte's. Just had some valve train problems and broke some things. One thing I've come to notice on this board there are alot of keyboard racers with no cars and no common sence..

Just for your info!!! After we stuck the motor back together. The car and (junk motor) went 1.16 60ft 4.94 on one kit in a 3200lb small tire car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.