electric vacum pump?? - Page 8 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #106
weedburner
Launchin

Default Re: electric vacum pump??

I actually have my pump mounted inside the car, behind the dash. It has a hose coming into the pump from the separator, another going out from the pump to under the car to carry the fumes/smell out/under the car. Looks like black heater hoses going thru the firewall at first glance. The separator is a small 2-1/2" dia homemade plastic tank that is mounted vertical in front of the engine, attached to the pass side motorplate.

Shop Mule build page...
weedburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #107
JShelton
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: electric vacuum pump??

Quote:
Originally Posted by weed burner View Post
I actually have my pump mounted inside the car, behind the dash. It has a hose coming into the pump from the separator, another going out from the pump to under the car to carry the fumes/smell out/under the car. Looks like black heater hoses going thru the firewall at first glance. The separator is a small 2-1/2" dia homemade plastic tank that is mounted vertical in front of the engine, attached to the pass side motorplate.
Bro,.. Could you post a pic of your separator? I'm thinking this is were your storing any oil that might other wise make its way to the pump doing it like this?
JShelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #108
weedburner
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShelton View Post
Bro,.. Could you post a pic of your separator? I'm thinking this is were your storing any oil that might other wise make its way to the pump doing it like this?
There is a fitting at the bottom of my separator for a drain, maybe a drip or two in there over 1500mi or so. With the electric pump, it comes on before the engine starts, so it draws a vacuum before the engine even fires. After the initial vacuum is drawn, the only airflow that can draw oil out thru the lines is whatever blowby the engine has. If the engine has a good seal, not much oil will be drawn out.

I'll take some pics today. The engine is out right now getting an upgrade to low tension rings and lite oil, so the seperator is just hanging in the bay. I've got a plastic block i'll slap in there with the valvecovers to give you an idea of the overall plumbing, and a pic of the pump mounted behind the dash.

Shop Mule build page...
Old 06-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #109
JShelton
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedburner View Post
There is a fitting at the bottom of my separator for a drain, maybe a drip or two in there over 1500mi or so. With the electric pump, it comes on before the engine starts, so it draws a vacuum before the engine even fires. After the initial vacuum is drawn, the only airflow that can draw oil out thru the lines is whatever blowby the engine has. If the engine has a good seal, not much oil will be drawn out.

I'll take some pics today. The engine is out right now getting an upgrade to low tension rings and lite oil, so the seperator is just hanging in the bay. I've got a plastic block i'll slap in there with the valvecovers to give you an idea of the overall plumbing, and a pic of the pump mounted behind the dash.
Cool, Thanks dude!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #110
JeffMcKC
Smoked Another SBC

Mine is just a 1 1/2 " Square welded on the top two corners and angleing down away from a -12 hose fittine welded in. At 4" your not really going to pull any oil but it will suck a ton of water out
2007 Winner SB/NA Drag Week 9.98
Quickest Small Block N/A car on Drag Week as Taylor Swift would say EVER
Thanks Curtis @ RFD Heads and Intakes
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com/
JeffMcKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #111
JShelton
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff MCcKC View Post
Mine is just a 1 1/2 " Square welded on the top two corners and angling down away from a -12 hose fittings welded in. At 4" your not really going to pull any oil but it will suck a ton of water out
Jeff I went ahead and got the one(tank) you posted the link of and I think I'll just run it directly out of the pump to the tank. I'll come up with some sort of baffling for the weld in bung. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #112
weedburner
Launchin

It finally stopped raining and I got around to taking those pics of my setup...

The hose is attached to fittings i machined from Delrin. I cut a couple o-ring grooves in them, they fit very snug, but are pretty easy to pull out for maintenance or adding oil...

This setup does not pull any oil at all, i may remove the separator tank and replace it with a "Y". In the top pic, you can see the small drain tube that extends down from the bottom, sealed up w/ just a rubber cap pushed onto it.

The tank is just a few dollars worth of PCV pipe and fittings, glued together with the outside partially turned down in a lathe. You can see the sch40 printing on the center part that is not turned down. The outlet at the bottom is actually a standpipe that extends up inside to within about 1/2" from the top cap.

Here's the pump mounted up under the dash, hanging from an aluminum plate attached to the bottom side of the cowl plenum. It's pretty amazing how quite the pump is with the exit hose plumbed outside...

The mounting block on the rear is a piece of delrin cut to a radius that matches the pipe (used a holesaw the same dia as the pipe for the radius). It's just glued to the machined part of the outer pipe.

The idea was to have the valvecover hoses come into the tank on a tangent, with the flow swirling around the standpipe while oil fell to the bottom, and the air rose to the top to enter the standpipe. In practice, the engine is sealed up tight enough that after the initial vacuum is drawn (the vac pump comes on before the engine fires), there is not really enough airflow to draw anything out but air.

As a note, my pump is wired so that it normally uses a dropping resistor (drops to about 9.5v). The pump really likes the lower voltage , but when the nitrous comes on, it gets full voltage. That way it does not sound like a vacuum cleaner at idle.

Shop Mule build page...
Old 06-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #113
JShelton
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by weed burner View Post
It finally stopped raining and I got around to taking those pics of my setup...

The hose is attached to fittings i machined from Delrin. I cut a couple o-ring grooves in them, they fit very snug, but are pretty easy to pull out for maintenance or adding oil...

This setup does not pull any oil at all, i may remove the separator tank and replace it with a "Y". In the top pic, you can see the small drain tube that extends down from the bottom, sealed up w/ just a rubber cap pushed onto it.

The tank is just a few dollars worth of PCV pipe and fittings, glued together with the outside partially turned down in a lathe. You can see the sch40 printing on the center part that is not turned down. The outlet at the bottom is actually a standpipe that extends up inside to within about 1/2" from the top cap.

Here's the pump mounted up under the dash, hanging from an aluminum plate attached to the bottom side of the cowl plenum. It's pretty amazing how quite the pump is with the exit hose plumbed outside...

The mounting block on the rear is a piece of delrin cut to a radius that matches the pipe (used a hole saw the same day as the pipe for the radius). It's just glued to the machined part of the outer pipe.

The idea was to have the valve cover hoses come into the tank on a tangent, with the flow swirling around the standpipe while oil fell to the bottom, and the air rose to the top to enter the standpipe. In practice, the engine is sealed up tight enough that after the initial vacuum is drawn (the vac pump comes on before the engine fires), there is not really enough airflow to draw anything out but air.

As a note, my pump is wired so that it normally uses a dropping resistor (drops to about 9.5v). The pump really likes the lower voltage , but when the nitrous comes on, it gets full voltage. That way it does not sound like a vacuum cleaner at idle.
Hey, thanks for posting these pics. Looks like a cool set up. Gives me some ideas. I think I got mine planed out. In the process of putting a new pan gasket on the motor then adding the pump set up. I'll post some pics after its done. Thanks again weed burner.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #114
JShelton
Smoked Another SBC

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to thank everybody for the input. I put this set up on my car and ran the NMCA event this weekend at Pomona and I didn't have a single drop of oil out of my car all weekend. I don't know exactly how much vacuum it pulled cause I never measured it but, NOT ONE DROP OF OIL!LOL! When I was running the header evac system it would leak from the front and back of the pan. I would recommend this set up to anybody trying to cure some oil leaks. Thanks again for your help on this guys.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #115
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMcKC View Post
I beg to differ, I run a Ford pump pulls 4 inches thats more than most exhaust ones do and the mosture does come out but it does keep 4 inches in the pan stops the leaks LOL but big power no, in truth 1/2 the guys running "Vac" Pumps arent ganing much more
Jeff

Do you run this pump between rounds to purge the crankcase.

thanks
tom

1.30 6.14 @ 111.11 @ #3350
427 BBC by S&S Speed Center Kingston Pa. Enderle MFI by Spud Miller
Sepanek Racing T400 Dynamic converter Autoweld chassis Dick Fords Body Shop
69427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #116
Deimos
Spooled up

Good thread
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #117
Brian261
Smoked another BBC

Is anyone running an oil seperator with these? I am getting a lot of milky condinsation in my overflow and keeps ruining these pumps....I have been through 3 of them in a couple years ....I do run E-85. I already welded a U shaped bracket on the inside of my valve cover to try to keep it from sucking to much oil. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #118
JeffMcKC
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
Jeff

Do you run this pump between rounds to purge the crankcase.

thanks
tom
No, I do turn it on and let it build vac before starting it.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #119
JeffMcKC
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian261 View Post
Is anyone running an oil seperator with these? I am getting a lot of milky condinsation in my overflow and keeps ruining these pumps....I have been through 3 of them in a couple years ....I do run E-85. I already welded a U shaped bracket on the inside of my valve cover to try to keep it from sucking to much oil. Thanks for any help.
Mine pulls almost pure water but a separation canister would work
Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #120
Brian261
Smoked another BBC

Thank Jeff....I may try that.