? ablut welding out a chassis - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Chassis and Suspension - Tim McAmis Performance Parts

Chassis and Suspension - Tim McAmis Performance Parts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
RegalRocket
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
RegalRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Grand Island, NY
Posts: 5,694
Default Re: ? ablut welding out a chassis

Were just saying you could. Nobody said we are.

RIF

Course dodge has the knowledge base for doing it.
RegalRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
Patch
Sho'Nuff
Smoked Another SBC
 
Patch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gainesville, Georgia
Posts: 5,386
Default Re: ? ablut welding out a chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTracer View Post
WTF is up with this talk about pressurizing the cage tubes. It's not NHRA legal in any way, so why even discuss it?


what if I wanted to run a dry sump and use the cage as my oil reservoir?
__________________
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #18
DOTracer
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
DOTracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Westminster, MD
Posts: 5,128
Default Re: ? ablut welding out a chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
what if I wanted to run a dry sump and use the cage as my oil reservoir?
Go ahead if you want to. We've repaired some altereds/funny cars and dragsters done this way and it's a bitch to weld on tubes that have had oil in them. Makes a total mess of the frame.
__________________
DOTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #19
Gary Anderson
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
Smoked Another SBC
 
Gary Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rosemount, MN.
Posts: 4,816
Default Re: ? ablut welding out a chassis

The air pressure was for checking for chassis cracks or pin holes.

Somehow it got spun off into NO2/Cheeting/ silly stuff!!!!

The fuel guys use the upper frame rails to carry all the pukey

stuff to the puke tanks at the rear of the car,

They DO NOT carry oil, (or air in the rails), 1- stupid, 2 illegal!

I have used 1/8" holes and not used them, it all depends

on if I am going to pressure check the chassis,

or if I get popping of the welds.

Your Pal, Gary
Gary Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #20
Gary Anderson
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
Smoked Another SBC
 
Gary Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rosemount, MN.
Posts: 4,816
Default Re: ? ablut welding out a chassis

Linseed oil was put into aircraft frame tubing,

the airframes are often gas welded, it is easy to get pin holes in that type of welding

If the tubing is welded properly, (TIG!!!) it should be air tight anyway!

Your Pal, Gary
Gary Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #21
ojh
Senior Member
Smoked another BBC
 
ojh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 2,980
Default Re: ? ablut welding out a chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Anderson View Post
Linseed oil was put into aircraft frame tubing,

the airframes are often gas welded, it is easy to get pin holes in that type of welding

If the tubing is welded properly, (TIG!!!) it should be air tight anyway!

Your Pal, Gary
Why linseed or any type of oil and who cares if there is pinholes, the chassis aren't floatation devices. I have welded bunches of xmoly and i doubt many of those little diagonals are air or any other kind of tight.
ojh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #22
ordinary builder
Senior Member
Smoked Another SBC
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12,228
Default Re: ? ablut welding out a chassis

early SCCA along with many of the indycar stuff that was on dirt tracks all used to have lindseed oil in them just to coat the material so it would not rust from inside

on airframes,
it was done for many years up to about korean war era or so....to help keep corrosion down when aircraft were in sea air or islands.. still is good mannor to keep out corrosion and to check for cracks when pressure drops / leaks out...
some heli-copters, I am told, still use this methoud.....

as gary has stated,..most T/F stuff use the upper frame rail to carry vapors to the 10 gallon puke tank...
ordinary builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #23
ojh
Senior Member
Smoked another BBC
 
ojh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 2,980
Default Re: ? ablut welding out a chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinary builder View Post
early SCCA along with many of the indycar stuff that was on dirt tracks all used to have lindseed oil in them just to coat the material so it would not rust from inside

on airframes,
it was done for many years up to about korean war era or so....to help keep corrosion down when aircraft were in sea air or islands.. still is good mannor to keep out corrosion and to check for cracks when pressure drops / leaks out...
some heli-copters, I am told, still use this methoud.....

as gary has stated,..most T/F stuff use the upper frame rail to carry vapors to the 10 gallon puke tank...
Thanks, i never knew that - always something to learn. I am very familiar with the rule and methods to vent rockerboxes on blower cars, esp funnycars.
ojh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 2.99%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Yellow Bullet LLC