Tire pros, help please - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tires - Mickey Thompson Tires

Tires - Mickey Thompson Tires

Old 04-22-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
john marcella
Smoked another BBC

Default Tire pros, help please

I run the MT 315-60 DR right now. But i have some problems with it on the starting line about 40% of the time. The car is 3200 lbs and the motor made 840, i have been 1.26 60ft with it but like i said about 40% of the time it blows the tire off at the hit.
I tried a set of MT 29.5 10.5 W and starting line problems fixed but compared to the DR the car felt like a piece of shit, i could feel the tire all wadded up the hole way down the track @ 12 pounds of air pressure. I hated the way this tire felt and it was also a tenth+ slower than the DR.

The new and improved problem is the new motor should make aprox 1100hp. And i dont exactly expect for the starting line issues to get better. I know i have more work to do on the shock settings but i am concerned about the time and difficulty of this task.

I have been looking at the radial slicks and there does not seem to be a large selection of sizes. However there is a
Hoosier 30-10.5-15 radial. Would i be wasting my time with this tire?
I can fit the bigger 31.25-13.5-15 radial MT but i have to buy new rims and this tire measures 31.9 tall and will mess up the gearing in the car.
I really dont want to run a bias ply tire mostly for the way they make the car feel. As well as they are slow.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks John
john marcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
MAGNUM
Launchin

Default Re: Tire pros, help please

Post some videos.
MAGNUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
gvaughns
Spooled up

I run radial slick with 1080hp a lil bigger tire 32x14 goodyear radial. I run 4.86 with turbo 400 60' 1.24-1.26 leaving at 3600 mainly cause it is consistant there and havent tried to raise launch rpm. Never had launch issue but track conditions play a major role with radial slicks especially at that hp level. At our local track it is a give or take. I get a lot of radial wobble down track I have adjusted shocks and suspenion many times. But I believe it really depends on how well the tracks are prep in your area. I think i am going back to bias tire mainly due to tracks in my area are not always prep the best.
gvaughns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Monte442
Smoked another BBC

John,
Info I have gathered from my Stock Eliminator friends is that the Hoosier Radial is the best of the radial slicks. The other thing I was told is that a radial will be faster and and hook better if it hooks,once a radial spins there is no chance to recover it,a bias slick will usually grab after it spins a little.
On a side note, I saw the RPM intake you did for Milan,any chance I can talk to you about an intake for my 496 Olds ?

Last edited by Monte442; 04-22-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Monte442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
john marcella
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte442 View Post
John,
Info I have gathered from my Stock Eliminator friends is that the Hoosier Radial is the best of the radial slicks. The other thing I was told is that a radial will be faster and and hook better if it hooks,once a radial spins there is no chance to recover it,a bias slick will usually grab after it spins a little.
On a side note, I saw the RPM intake you did for Milan,any chance I can talk to you about an intake for my 496 Olds ?

Yes just give me a call 248-259-6696
john marcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Diamondmike
Pullin gears

with 315's on a 10in wheel i run 18 psi on a 12in wheel 14.7 psi. . hope that helps
Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
z289sec
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by john marcella View Post
I run the MT 315-60 DR right now. But i have some problems with it on the starting line about 40% of the time. The car is 3200 lbs and the motor made 840, i have been 1.26 60ft with it but like i said about 40% of the time it blows the tire off at the hit.
I tried a set of MT 29.5 10.5 W and starting line problems fixed but compared to the DR the car felt like a piece of shit, i could feel the tire all wadded up the hole way down the track @ 12 pounds of air pressure. I hated the way this tire felt and it was also a tenth+ slower than the DR.

The new and improved problem is the new motor should make aprox 1100hp. And i dont exactly expect for the starting line issues to get better. I know i have more work to do on the shock settings but i am concerned about the time and difficulty of this task.

I have been looking at the radial slicks and there does not seem to be a large selection of sizes. However there is a
Hoosier 30-10.5-15 radial. Would i be wasting my time with this tire?
I can fit the bigger 31.25-13.5-15 radial MT but i have to buy new rims and this tire measures 31.9 tall and will mess up the gearing in the car.
I really dont want to run a bias ply tire mostly for the way they make the car feel. As well as they are slow.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks John

Sounds like you left the shock setting like for a radial, loosen off the compression and tighten the rebound some more. It will slow the tire slamming into the track and let it get up on the slick faster instead of leaving it planted way out there.

Yeah, I stole it to use in my sig.
Stock suspension 67 Camaro
565 Conventional head BBC with single stage fogger on 275's
In the chassis shop at the moment.

Thanks to:

Texas Racewerks, Sanger, Texas

Nyes Automotive Racing Engines, Muncie, Indiana

FTI Converters and Transmissions, Deland, Florida
z289sec is offline   Reply With Quote