shaft mount or stud mount??? - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 04-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
Drag lc
Smoked another BBC

Question shaft mount or stud mount???

hi,
im looking at fitting rocker gear on my new head,its an inline 6 alluminium racing head. ive got a solid roller cam for it with around .650" v/lift it needs it has been ground to suit 1.7 ratio rockers. max rpm would be under 8,000rpm. im told it should have atleast 245lbs on the seat and 550lbs on the nose. head is drill and tapped to suit 7/16 studs. u can buy r/gear for it but they are very costly and only like a sbc or the like with earch rocker is seprate and u use guide plates to locate the rocker on the valve.

so my question is at what point is it time to go away from single stud mount rockers and use something more ridged (shaft mount that joins the 2 together?). would anything stronger be needed for my application??

Cheers H
Drag lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Coloradoracer
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: shaft mount or stud mount???

After running stud mount rockers with a stud girdle for years, and now running my first shaft setup, I'll never run stud mount rockers again on any racing engine!!! The stability alone is worth the extra money. I can set the valve lash now, run the motor, take the rocker arm off one cylinder, put it back on, and not have to readjust the valve lash! Try that with a stud girdle and stud mount rockers! And, if you look at the cash outlay for studs, rockers, girdles, etc., the price isn't that much different than the shaft setup. Anything you can do to to stabilize the valve train is a good thing!
www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Dealer
Coloradoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
ojh
Smoked another BBC

That is a tough question. I take it you have the stuff to assemble the head etc and fire off the engine. What i would do is with the engine at idle and rocker box off shine your timing light across the valve train, the strobe effect will stop-motion the valve train and you'll be able to see how much it is moving around at idle, then you'll make a decision pdq.
Seems to me with 650 lift the seat pressure you spec'd is high, it may not need that much pressure and if - say 200lbs - is sufficient then rockers with girdle will keep everything in place. But at 245lbs i suspect things will move around a lot, i went to shafts when i got above 225.
ojh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Packersfan
Smoked another BBC

If you have the ability to spend a bit more then a shaft system is always a better choice, period. Will a stud system work okay with less pressure/etc? Yes. But a shaft system is a far better design.
Packersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
bigsix
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoracer View Post
After running stud mount rockers with a stud girdle for years, and now running my first shaft setup, I'll never run stud mount rockers again on any racing engine!!! The stability alone is worth the extra money. I can set the valve lash now, run the motor, take the rocker arm off one cylinder, put it back on, and not have to readjust the valve lash! Try that with a stud girdle and stud mount rockers! And, if you look at the cash outlay for studs, rockers, girdles, etc., the price isn't that much different than the shaft setup. Anything you can do to to stabilize the valve train is a good thing!
Agreed 100% with this post.

1967 SS/RS camaro, pump gas efi 620"bbc, t-400, 9", project car.
bigsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
Drag lc
Smoked another BBC

ok i will look into shart mount rockers then im not sure if it makes any diffrence but this engine is boosted.

Cheers H
Drag lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
Uncle Paul
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersfan View Post
If you have the ability to spend a bit more then a shaft system is always a better choice, period. Will a stud system work okay with less pressure/etc? Yes. But a shaft system is a far better design.
2X

http://www.northernchateau.com/
Uncle Paul is offline   Reply With Quote