Reloading hard cast in a semi-auto 9mm - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > The Bullet ~ Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns

The Bullet ~ Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns TREE HUGGERS NOT WELCOME!!!

Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
427Wcoupe
Launchin

Default Reloading hard cast in a semi-auto 9mm

I have been reloading for a few years and have used a lot of hard cast in wheel, lever, and single actions with good results. Anyone using them in semi-autos and have you run into any issues? Primary reason is the cost effectiveness of hard cast vs jacketed or even plated bullets.

I have used www.friendswoodbullet.com a number of times for 38/357 with no issues with leading. They are 18 Brinnell (92%, 6%, 2%)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=280357062

427Wcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
BTL FED
In Glock I Trust
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Reloading hard cast in a semi-auto 9mm

A lot of semi auto handgun companies highly discourage use of those.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
427Wcoupe
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTL FED View Post
A lot of semi auto handgun companies highly discourage use of those.
Is there a reason that you know of? I wouldn't run true lead bullets, but a good hard cast doesn't seem like it would be a problem at the velocities the 9mm generates. Figured I would ask, as I didn't find much online.

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
Cosmik de Bris
Burnout box

The handgun companies discourage their use because of liability issues. They also discourage reloads of any kind. People who use handguns in competitions (IPSC, USPSA etc) use lead bullets all the time, yes, even in handguns with polygonal rifling like the Glock.
Cosmik de Bris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
427Wcoupe
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
The handgun companies discourage their use because of liability issues. They also discourage reloads of any kind. People who use handguns in competitions (IPSC, USPSA etc) use lead bullets all the time, yes, even in handguns with polygonal rifling like the Glock.

That makes sense. Not sure if I will eventually try it or not. I am running plated bullets right now (Berrys) but accuracy was marginal at best on my first outing. I am going to try a couple of different recipes since I bought 1000 of them. Although hard cast are cheaper, it is only $20 or so cheaper per 1000 over some FMJ and plated options which I would prefer to go with.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
hammered54
Smoked another BBC

I've been using the 124G hp from berry's in my 9mm with very good results up to 1100fps, and great substitute for the Hornady XTP in the same weight.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Mike Swann
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

Shot probably a 1000 out of my 45. Didnt have any money then either, I used old wheel weights. Swaged with wax for lube. Worked fine for me.

No matter who gets touched by the helping hand of Barack Obama, the problem is not merely the broken promise but the chaos that follows.

Mike Swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
excelerater1
Senor Frog
Smoked Another SBC

im reloaded those......I have a small box of 250 if you want em......
No issues they run fine - that blue band of lube just is too much smoke for indoor range use
plus lead bullets will raise your blood levels up I hear so IMO its not worth saving 30 bucks a 1000
so I prefer to reload FMJs from Berrys or Delta Precision ..
excelerater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Cosmik de Bris
Burnout box

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Wcoupe View Post
That makes sense. Not sure if I will eventually try it or not. I am running plated bullets right now (Berrys) but accuracy was marginal at best on my first outing. I am going to try a couple of different recipes since I bought 1000 of them. Although hard cast are cheaper, it is only $20 or so cheaper per 1000 over some FMJ and plated options which I would prefer to go with.
I use plated bullets, you may have to tune the length to get the best accuracy. Nothing wrong with them if you get it right. Like I said a lot of people use plated, lead and hard cast in competition and get good accuracy with them. With lead you don't want to push them too fast or you will be cleaning your gun a lot.
Cosmik de Bris is offline   Reply With Quote