Anybody successfully change their life direction at 40? - Page 4 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #46
oldschool
!! WHATEVER !!
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Anybody successfully change their life direction at 40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAss88GT View Post
So here's my story, I'm 38 and unhappy with my "career". I work in a union factory, swing shift, shitty hours. I'm sick of missing things with my family, sick of the swing shift, sick of being bounced around in a plant where the company doesn't give a shit about it's employees. I make decent money (I guess, $40K), I have 3 weeks vacation every year, but it still sucks.

I have a high school diploma and I am smart enough to have gone to college if I wouldn't have been so lazy 20 years ago. I have the typical mortgage, truck, car, toys, wife, kids, etc.

Has anybody successfully gone back to school, gotten an education and changed careers this "late" in the game? I figure, going back to school, by the time I could graduate I would still have 20+ years of working ahead of me. Anyone ever do it?

Thanks for reading--Dan
seems like some people start professional careers or become owners at 40....i am 43 and my wife is 40 i was in the same boat until a month ago...i quit my full time job and went to work for my wife... my wife started her own business and we happen to be at the right place at the right time and now struggle to have enough employees to take care of our clients....dont know if this helps but GOOD LUCK..
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #47
Frankfort
Pullin gears

Not yet, working on it
Frankfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #48
25mack
Smoked another BBC

Garage

It can be done. Good luck!

BMF Racecars & Classics
25mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #49
illegalstang
Pullin gears

You can always get into a union apprenticeship for a skilled trade. Money sucks for a few years but it pays off. I think u would be making more than 40 grand.....but if u cdma raise a duly and have toys/cars whatnot then I guess 40 grand is great money for Wisconsin.
illegalstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #50
monkey4934
Smoked Another SBC

My dad did it late in life. Late 40's or early 50's. He became an x-ray tech. He had to do a solid two years of college and was done. He makes great money. Had to take crap pay for the first year to get the experience in but now he does very well and is happy. I say go for it! You aren't dead yet so do it. It will be hard to manage school and a job but well worth it in the end.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #51
MichaelP
Smoked another BBC

20+ years ago I was teaching General Physics at a university, it was surprising how many of my students were in their later 30's or 40's! There was a recession at the time, so some of them had been laid off and went back to school. Others were "empty nesters" whose kids had just left for college so they decided to get a degree as well. Is it possible to start school while you still have this job? I know it cuts into the family time, but that may be a less risky way to start out.
1973 Pontiac T/A 455
1992 GMC Typhoon
1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400
1995 F350 Crew Cab Dually - intake, exhaust, chip, injectors
2000 VW Jetta TDI - Kerma tuning, Der Chimera clutch
MichaelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #52
70Underpressure
Moderater
Smoked Another SBC

I did it at 30 and again at right at 40. I always looked at it like 40 was the cut off if I was going to start my own business. It was not about money for me. More about self satisfaction, something I always wanted to do. I took a second mortgage on the house for everything the bank would give me. I risked it all and started my own business. I did not start blindly I thought about it a long time, had a plan I thought would work. My first job was a sub contract and I got screwed for 10k with no recourse and had to borrow 10K more just to pay bills. I didn't sleep for 2 months and struggled for a few years. If I had stayed where I was I would probably have more money, financial security but I am my own boss and enjoy what I do so for me it was well worth it. The thing about owning your own business is you never get to "go home" it's with you 24/7 good or bad.

I would say if your not happy do something about it. Change is a scary thing that's why most people just keep doing the same thing. Go scare the shit out of yourself and really live.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #53
Beetlejuiceteeth
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
So here's my story, I'm 38 and unhappy with my "career". I work in a union factory, swing shift, shitty hours. I'm sick of missing things with my family, sick of the swing shift, sick of being bounced around in a plant where the company doesn't give a shit about it's employees. I make decent money (I guess, $40K), I have 3 weeks vacation every year, but it still sucks.

I have a high school diploma and I am smart enough to have gone to college if I wouldn't have been so lazy 20 years ago. I have the typical mortgage, truck, car, toys, wife, kids, etc.

Has anybody successfully gone back to school, gotten an education and changed careers this "late" in the game? I figure, going back to school, by the time I could graduate I would still have 20+ years of working ahead of me. Anyone ever do it?

Thanks for reading--Dan
changed my career at age 35.. 43 now and couldnt be happier. My earnings hit a plateau ( around 100k ) and no matter how hard I worked could not exceed that figure. What you are attempting to do will be the most difficult thing in your life to do but also the most rewarding. Find something that you really enjoy doing , be the best at it and live happily ever after.
Beetlejuiceteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #54
taz4028
Spooled up

18 years ago @34 I quit the auto repair field to go into teaching,the best move I ever made will retire in 5 more!
taz4028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #55
ten5nova
Nova nerd!!
Smoked Another SBC

Trying to change my life at an early age of 29, career and general lifestyle. It's tough, good luck to you!!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #56
hhott71
Smoked another BBC

I went from being a Toolmaker to owning an Automotive Accesory store at 28, some 24 years ago in May.
hhott71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:05 AM   #57
bentwings
Spooled up

I had a successful life as a toolmaker at 38. Divorced, support, and other payments. Life was day to day nothing exciting,

I had a life long dream to be a mechanical engineer. One day I went to the school to see if there was anyway I could get an eng degree.

Long story short a couple tests got me by the first 2 years of humanities and English. Previous English studies at the U after HS. Some math I tested out with flying colors.

5 years later I graduated top of the class. I went on to 25 years of engineering madness in 5 fields. Made things that go "boom" in the dark, space stuff, car stuff, machines that put things together, others that thake things apart, and a few food machines, not to mention things that make clothes. haha

Going to school and working was tough. I had 4 hours sleep a night, study all week end for tests the following week, no time for anything else. I learned to sleep on demand, wake up without an alarm clock, do everything by time limits. Learn on demand, .... in a few words eat, live and sleep school and engineering.

Was it worth it??? Certainly....I made some money but the thrill of turning on a machine for the first time and seeing it work as designed never left me. It's just like jumping into your favorite streetrod and going for a ride ...the thrill never leaves.

Today at 70 I've put in my time....the young eng. idiots have put me out to pasture. KMA....I'm having the time of my life with the streetrod and still eat, live and sleep engineering and tool making, welding and half a dozen other trades I can do. I even still play senior baseball....not softball...woodbats and all.

So my advice is go back to school and hit the books seriously. Set a goal, forget everything for 4-5 yrs and get it done. You won't regret it.
bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #58
satansracer
Professional Troublemaker
Smoked Another SBC

Changed mine at 30, if that counts.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #59
VortechKid
Plain & Simple
Smoked another BBC

Thumbs up Re: Anybody successfully change their life direction at 40?

Good thread!

Myself,I'm in need of a change as well,at the age of 38 years old,so reading through this thread,might give me a few good pointers as well,good luck man btw!
VortechKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:56 AM   #60
dalacheax1
The Warbird
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

Thanks for reading--Dan
If its that shitty union job that pays for all that I would reconsider "going a different direction" unless someone else is going to pay the bills. You are currently one long term layoff from financial destruction because unemployment wont pay all that. If you didnt have the mortgage, kids (college fund hopefully) and the unnamed etc.. Id say go for it, but with your current situation Id say "Hell no!"
PTC and crew
Dennis Mitchell Racing
Rupert's Alky Carbs
Rod Shop Paint and Body
dalacheax1 is offline   Reply With Quote