Moser 9" end play ? - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Rearends - Yukon Gear & Axle

Rearends - Yukon Gear & Axle

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
268Caminos
Spooled up

Default Moser 9" end play ?

I just put together my new fab 9" from Moser. It has gm ends with the big ford bearings. After I put the discs brakes on which are also a new set up from strange I noticed when you grab the axle flange there is some end play. About 1/16 of a inch. Is this normal? The bracket for the discs brakes has a recess in it which clears the bearing this is what retains the axle. Also I had to take some of the caliper down to fit my wheels how much clearance do I need? I have about three pieces of paper not much I know but did not want to take anymore off the calipers than I have too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
268Caminos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
JawsGear
Pre-Staged

Default Re: Moser 9" end play ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 268Caminos View Post
I just put together my new fab 9" from Moser. It has gm ends with the big ford bearings. After I put the discs brakes on which are also a new set up from strange I noticed when you grab the axle flange there is some end play. About 1/16 of a inch. Is this normal? The bracket for the discs brakes has a recess in it which clears the bearing this is what retains the axle. Also I had to take some of the caliper down to fit my wheels how much clearance do I need? I have about three pieces of paper not much I know but did not want to take anymore off the calipers than I have too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you have play in the axle, it sounds like you have a flush mount housing end and may need a different retaining plate that accomodates that housing end.

Sponsors:
- Enterprise Motorsports
- Dave's Engine & Machine
- John Reed Racing
- Black Sheep Racing
- Bowman Motorsports
- Titan Motorsports
JawsGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
268Caminos
Spooled up

This was a complete set up from Moser. The bearing sticks out about 1/8 of an inch out of the housing. The recess in the brake mount clears over the bearing the recess is about 3/16" deep. This makes up the 1/16" inch of play. The retainer fits on the out side of the brake mounting bracket. Both Strange and Moser brake kits come this way. When you the pull the axle out it hits the back of the recess on the brake mount. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
PONYEATER
Smoked another BBC

Did you call Moser? It sounds like you have an incorrect bearing or backing plate/ retainer. I would give them a call and give the company an opportunity to help you.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
slow3rdgen
Smoked another BBC

They make spacers that go in there. I have a strange brake set-up that came off another members car and his rear end needed them. Mine however did not.
slow3rdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
268Caminos
Spooled up

Thanks guys. I have a call into Moser but there phone system is down. I did not think this was right.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
slow3rdgen
Smoked another BBC

Oh and this is common with moser housing ends. The strange engineering ends are not like this which is what I have.

As stated you have a flush mount housing end and I believe its a .140? difference.

Scroll down this is basically what you need http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_brk_lt1.html not positive who makes the best etc but you get the idea.

Hope this helps!

Aaron
slow3rdgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
268Caminos
Spooled up

Thanks Aaron, that is just about right. I got a call into Moser but there phones are still down.

Buddy
Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
268Caminos
Spooled up

Just talked to Matt at Moser. They are sending me out shims and new oil seals today no charge. There should be no play what so ever as most of you have said. Just wanted to say that there customer service was great even with there phones down(fast e-mails). Thanks for the reply's it was a big help.

Buddy