Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Need some help from the bullet for my little dude.

15K views 136 replies 27 participants last post by  Blaine B. 
#1 ·
In July of 2016, I became a dad for the first time. We had a little boy. His name is Lucas.

About 5 days after we got home from the hospital, we got a phone call. The results of the newborn genetic screening showed that he potentially had cystic fibrosis.

Cystic fibrosis (CF) is the most common fatal genetic disease affecting Canadian children and young adults. At present, there is no cure.

CF causes various effects on the body, but mainly affects the digestive system and lungs. The degree of CF severity differs from person to person, however, the persistence and ongoing infection in the lungs, with destruction of lungs and loss of lung function, will eventually lead to death in the majority of people with CF.

Typical complications caused by cystic fibrosis are:

Difficulty digesting fats and proteins
Malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies because of inability to absorb nutrients
Progressive lung damage from chronic infections and aberrant inflammation
CF related diabetes
Sinus infections
It is estimated that one in every 3,600 children born in Canada has CF. More than 4,100 Canadian children, adolescents, and adults with cystic fibrosis attend specialized CF clinics.
After a week or so wait time, we were sent for a sweat chloride test, and it confirmed the genetic finding - he has delta F508 mutation cystic fibrosis. On the flip side of the negative, this is the most common form of the illness, and is the one that sees most of the funding, and will likely be the first one with a long-term solution. At present the drugs currently treating this condition are between 4 to 600 dollars a dose, 4 times a day. Yes. Between 300,000 and 800,000 dollars a year.

I know there are a few members here who have it, and are dealing with it in their families also.

Every year our CF foundation puts on a charity walk, to raise money for research.

I am still coming to terms with the little dude having it, but it is slowly sinking in.

With treatment there are a lot more people living with it for longer periods than they ever were, but there are still shortened lifespan and several different complications that occur due to the condition.

I've attached a link for my "Team"'s page, and if any of you guys who'd like to donate could do so, it would be greatly appreciated and never forgotten.

Thanks in advance guys, it means the world to me.

If you need to donate in another manner, please feel free to PM me and I will get some details on how you can donate if you can't do it via the page provided, and you'd like to do so.

Thank you again.

YBTTF,

Aaron.

https://secure.e2rm.com/registrant/mobile/mobileTeamPage.aspx?teamID=751538&langPref=en-CA

See less See more
#86 ·
Legions for Lucas to the front!

#90 ·
Thank you for making this a sticky.-Another lets kick those other guys asses and bring this total up and over bump.

#91 ·
Afternoon bump

#93 ·
Evening bump, what's the latest tally?

#95 ·
We still in 3rd? Who's in first and what's the deadline?

#98 ·
We need to show the world the bullet we put in CF.

#100 ·
Evening bump

#101 ·
Afternoon bump.

#104 ·
Morning bump

#106 ·
Afternoon bump

#109 ·
Turns out the Bullet is just a hangout for broke dicks that talk shit... or is it? Which side are you on?

#113 ·
Afternoon bump

#114 ·
Evening bump

#115 ·
Morning bump, Legions for Lucas to the front!

#116 ·
What's the latest tally Hillbilly? How far behind are we?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.