MSD 7562 anyone? - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Electrical - Hyperaktive Performance Solutions

Electrical - Hyperaktive Performance Solutions

Old 10-05-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Novachris
Burnout box

Default MSD 7562 anyone?

Wondering if anyone has tried this boost controller out. I've spoken with an MSD tech a while ago and he spilled the beans about having problems with the solenoid and sourcing a new supplier, so I didn't bite at the time. I've been using a Profec-B digital controller and it holds the boost very well in my application, with a single turbo but no ramping capabilities.
My launch is currently "controlled" by the fact that my converter it tight so I can't launch with full boost. This is duplicating the ramp of a boost controller, but it'll be pretty hard to adjust in the future when more power comes into the equation.
Any input about this controller or others is appreciated.

Chris
Novachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
Sparky
Pullin gears

Chris,
Check out this link. This seems to be the hot ticket for Programable Boost Controllers. http://dennisc99.home.mchsi.com/AMS-1000.pdf

I know Job Spetter is using these with some of his customers. I know Bill Lutz and Shannon Renfro are running them as well. I talked to them at Milan about them, from what I could see, it was very trick. I know Bill Lutz has tried just about everything on the market and the AMS-1000 turned his whole program around. Bill runs with the OSCA and does post quite often on their BB.
Link to OSCA, http://www.oscaracing.com/

I hope this helps
Sparky

Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
Novachris
Burnout box

I hadn't seen this controller before.

I did contact Bill and he was quite helpful.

I placed a post in the turbo section about the BS3 and the AMS unit since I've got an old Accel DFI 6 and am looking to upgrade for next season. I was wondering if BS3 alone is fine or is it worth the $ to go with the AMS unit as well? http://yellowbullet.com/v-web/bullet...pic.php?t=3825

Thanks for the input.

Chris
Old 11-06-2005, 03:03 AM   #4
Sparky
Pullin gears

Big Stuff 3's built in boost controller can incorporate PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to a wastegate sol, as well as straight signal.
PWM offers better control of the gate to maintain accurate boost levels. With PWM you have the ability and control to manipulate how gradual or aggressive you can apply boost to the gate, which offers more flexibility with different combinations.
For example, a small tire combination would benefit greatly from a gradual applied boost curve or a “progressive apply” vs. a big tire combination which could handle a more aggressive boost curve.
The new FAST XFI and Accel Gen VII offer Boost Controller options, but I am not sure that they are supported by PWM.

As for the AMS-1000 in conjunction with EFI systems that support boost controllers.
I have seen the AMS-1000 used with FAST, Big Stuff 3 and Accel Gen VII, with great results and I have also seen the internal Boost Controllers that the EFI systems offer work very well too.
In my opinion, I feel there really isn’t one magic product to use over the other.
All the boost controller options listed above all do a very good job of controlling boost. It’s more of meeting the need of your particular application, what works well for one combination may not work as well for another.
For Example, Manny Buginga won World Ford Challenge and took the NMRA SSO Championship using a AMS-1000 controller. Mark Van Meter and Joel Greathouse have run some very serious numbers using the same controller. Steve Petty and Tim Lynch undoubtedly have turned the turbo world on end, using the basic ol knobs and solenoids. BB&T racing and Dan Millen have run some stout numbers too, using the same knobs and solenoids.
My advice is to use something that you are comfortable using. If you have someone tuning the car for you, go by their advice and what they would be comfortable working with. Be open to try different products and ideas, isn't that what drag racing is all about?

Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
Novachris
Burnout box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky
Be open to try different products and ideas, isn't that what drag racing is all about?
Absolutely...
I'm tempted to try the MSD product. I can tell from my old litterature of their unit vs. the updated info that they've figured out how to control boost. It appears as though they've also sorted out their PWM solenoid supplier. The price point is right and it offers PWM with the ability to adjust PID parameters as well. I don't see a fundamental difference between the AMS unit and the MSD unit, other than the AMS piece would be ideal for a bike.

I guess my point is that either one will work well for my application. It just comes down to $$. I'll finally be upgrading my production heads this year, so every penny counts right now.

Running knobs and solenoids sounds adventurous!