New NHRA "header tether" rule? - Page 21 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Let's Talk Drag Racing

Let's Talk Drag Racing Talk about drag racing with censorship...

Old 02-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #301
clwill
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: New NHRA "header tether" rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL ws-6 View Post
I sent vibrant an inquiry about making a smaller version of their mufer to do what I wanna do... If they can I'm going the zoomie route and throw a hangar tab on each one. Done.
Yep, that's the answer. Don't spend $50 on a set of tethers, spend 10x that, and redesign your engine/exhaust combination so that all your previous numbers are no good. That'll teach 'em!
clwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #302
go green
Environmental Hazard
Smoked another BBC

When the rule came out there was only one approved supplier and they had the tethers at a ridiculous price . Those crooks were licking their chops at ripping everyone off being the only game in town . They have lower their price a bit because there are more suppliers on the list now but it just looks fishy how this rule came to be . Lots of rules get made to sell more product and it seams the rule makers are in bed with the manufactures . Common sense does not apply in NHRA sometimes .

6.69 @212.96 MPH
Out with wedge in with the Hemi
go green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #303
1700camaro
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busturazz View Post
If mufflers are used, they must be securely attached to exhaust
system and car body or frame.
This what worries me right now. I have the collector tethers installed. The track has made it clear it will be strictly enforced. This is going to shine light onto collector extensions & collector mufflers.

I'm sure some are in the same boat as I am or a similar set-up. I have slip on collector extensions with welded on mufflers. While the mufflers are fully welded. The collector extensions are only tack welded to the collector.

There is lack of guidance on collector extension/collector muffler. So what's the meaning of "securely attached to the exhaust system". I'm sure in my mind I have it covered, but I also thought that on the collector bolted/welded tabs.

I'm predicting this is going to open another can of worms for this area.
1700camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #304
JL ws-6
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwill View Post
Yep, that's the answer. Don't spend $50 on a set of tethers, spend 10x that, and redesign your engine/exhaust combination so that all your previous numbers are no good. That'll teach 'em!

Not a problem chief as we are just starting the motor now, it's not a problem to make a small adjustment. My headers have to be built to the car... So to change to a no collector setup, again not a big deal. I'd rather add a slight cost at this phase, then submit to another useless pos that's a band aid for poor fabrication and crappy tech inspection
JL ws-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #305
firechk
Launchin

Do you really need them if you have an exhaust system too? All my tabs have bolts in them and installing the slip on collector requires a block of wood and a big ass hammer. NHRA has been way out of control with all there new rules, I understand the "greater good" theory behind some of it but it also seems there is a kick back motivation behind most of it. If a car rolls in that is a complete pile of hazardous shit then don't let them race....period but financially punishing every racer is ridiculous when they have the opportunity to weed the junk at the gate.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #306
firechk
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco15 View Post
Track operator announced over the PA this weekend he collects about 100 header bolts a year off the track.
You got to wonder how many sockets, wrenches and other tool's and various fasteners that get dropped and rattle out during a pass.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #307
HandOverFist
Launchin

I walked the track at a local strip one afternoon during a delay...came back to the starter shack with two handful's of tools, dzus fastners, ect.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #308
allmotor408
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSceneLiveTV View Post
I just bought a couple pairs from Jok at Trailer Toad.
Under a hundred bucks and NHRA approved. I will let you know how they work when I put them on.
Looks pretty good for the $.
allmotor408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #309
Srt8line Performance
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1700camaro View Post
This what worries me right now. I have the collector tethers installed. The track has made it clear it will be strictly enforced. This is going to shine light onto collector extensions & collector mufflers.

I'm sure some are in the same boat as I am or a similar set-up. I have slip on collector extensions with welded on mufflers. While the mufflers are fully welded. The collector extensions are only tack welded to the collector.

There is lack of guidance on collector extension/collector muffler. So what's the meaning of "securely attached to the exhaust system". I'm sure in my mind I have it covered, but I also thought that on the collector bolted/welded tabs.

I'm predicting this is going to open another can of worms for this area.
Rules say if you have the muffler welded/bolted to the frame you don't even need collector tethers, if your extension is welded to the collector and you have a tether, it shouldn't be an issue. IMO if the extension or muffler is held on with the same tabs that they are making you use tethers for....I assume that wont be acceptable. If you have a muffler and extension just slid on the collector held with tabs and nothing to support the addl. weight, you're the reason why everyone needs tethers.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #310
1700camaro
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt8line Performance View Post
If you have a muffler and extension just slid on the collector held with tabs and nothing to support the addl. weight, you're the reason why everyone needs tethers.
I'm the reason why everyone needs tethers. LOL!, I'm good with that.

I guess you didn't read how they are attached. The collector extensions/mufflers add a total of 12"s to the header collector.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #311
SpeedSceneLiveTV
Smoked another BBC

Just put them on my car......
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=709681
Old 02-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #312
Srt8line Performance
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
I'm the reason why everyone needs tethers. LOL!, I'm good with that.

I guess you didn't read how they are attached. The collector extensions/mufflers add a total of 12"s to the header collector.
I don't care how long it is, how much does the extension and muffler weigh? Think about where the header tubes are welded (usually only at the header flange) then run a primary tube, then a slip on collector, then an extension, then a muffler.....with no support?? And that's ok?? Do what you want, but if it was my car, I'd have a tab off the muffler, one off the frame and bolt it. That supports the extra weight and eliminates the need for a tether.

Oh and by the way, I wasn't talking to you directly, I was just stating that it's pretty crazy that you add all that weight with no support. I had no clue if yours were bolted or not.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #313
1700camaro
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt8line Performance View Post
I don't care how long it is, how much does the extension and muffler weigh? Think about where the header tubes are welded (usually only at the header flange) then run a primary tube, then a slip on collector, then an extension, then a muffler.....with no support?? And that's ok?? Do what you want, but if it was my car, I'd have a tab off the muffler, one off the frame and bolt it. That supports the extra weight and eliminates the need for a tether.

Oh and by the way, I wasn't talking to you directly, I was just stating that it's pretty crazy that you add all that weight with no support. I had no clue if yours were bolted or not.
I don't know what the answer is, that's why I asked in my original posts. My muffler if you consider it one, along with the collector extension/reducer 3 1/2" to 3". Is not much different than the 18" bolt-on/slip on extensions. It's shorter & probably weighs close to the same. Is tack welds OK for the extensions? It's OK for the header collector at the primary pipes!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #314
Srt8line Performance
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
I don't know what the answer is, that's why I asked in my original posts. My muffler if you consider it one, along with the collector extension/reducer 3 1/2" to 3". Is not much different than the 18" bolt-on/slip on extensions. It's shorter & probably weighs close to the same. Is tack welds OK for the extensions? It's OK for the header collector at the primary pipes!
From what I understand, the tether is a safe guard against those cheesy little tabs that always crack and break, we've all seen them break, we've all seen a collector fall off because of it. In your case, I assume that everything being stitch welded would be ok, and if you can throw a tab on the end and bolt it to the frame/floor that would make it even stronger. Best bet is to contact your local track tech inspector or get NHRA/IHRA on the phone and ask them. It's hard enough to get to the track, it's even worse to get sent home because a rule that isn't totally clear to you.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #315
JL ws-6
Smoked another BBC

If the exhaust is secured to the body the only way it and the collector is falling off the primaries is a big wheel stand... In that case all bets are off
JL ws-6 is offline   Reply With Quote