best cam for turbo'ed lq4? - Page 4 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > LSX, Mod Motor and Gen III Hemi Tech

Old 12-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #46
PEP FAB
Spooled up

Default Re: best cam for turbo'ed lq4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJohn View Post
For a 96/1.32 s400 series on an LS motor a custon grind is the way to go. Theres no stock cam that even comes close to the correct events that i feel the motor needs.... but the LS9 is the only one i woukd consider.

By the time you buy the cover, extend the cam sensor harness and all that BS its easier to just grind one to work in the motor as is.

My typical 231/239 115+4 would do just fine in this setup.
if i understand correctly, s475 has a rather large turbine being a truck turbo, kind like the other one but to a lesser extend. this is why custom grind really pays off, right?

how much lift can i go on unported heads?

Last edited by PEP FAB; 12-24-2012 at 04:07 PM.
PEP FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #47
frank baba
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblacksls View Post
He is just another Internet expert with little to no actual experience.

Lots of them around.

my times are below..........

let me know when you find some power...................

frank baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #48
frank baba
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis G View Post
Throw that diesel turbo in the garbage.

Frank. What do you mean? You can't pick up a 100 hp from a cam?

you can if you fix other problems along the way and leave out the details.........

frank baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #49
JOHNBOY66
Smoked another CTD
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
For a 96/1.32 s400 series on an LS motor a custon grind is the way to go. Theres no stock cam that even comes close to the correct events that i feel the motor needs.... but the LS9 is the only one i woukd consider.

By the time you buy the cover, extend the cam sensor harness and all that BS its easier to just grind one to work in the motor as is.

My typical 231/239 115+4 would do just fine in this setup.
That custom grind would way better then the LS9. I don't have much experience with LS9 cam but the little I have was not good. I don't know the the opening and closing events timing. But I do know that cam is easy way to make a good turbo a lag pig. That LSA is to far IMHO. Reminds me of the diesel cam discussion you and I had. I would rather a stock LQ4 cam then LS9. On the cheap I like LS6 cam. The LS6 is not ideal but it will spool and run hard down low. Plus I have watched it work in very stock to 6.0 to the tune of high 8s and low 140s without the need for 150hp spool shot like LS9 cam.

A cam like you speced me should work great to.
Precision Turbo
TRZ motorsports
NGM Diesel
EFI Live
Current Performance
Liljohn
Injector Dynamics
Hutter Racing Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited View Post
This is why you should only build generic junk for the masses because really thats all they can handle! The moment they feel insecure straight to the key board they go! Being creative and trying to push stuff is only worth doing for yourself.
JOHNBOY66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #50
JOHNBOY66
Smoked another CTD
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEP FAB View Post
if i understand correctly, s475 has a rather large turbine being a truck turbo, kind like the other one but to a lesser extend. this is why custom grind really pays off, right?

how much lift can i go on unported heads?
The S400 series has four different turbine wheel options. 83mm, 87mm, 92mm, and 97mm. The most common are the 83mm and 96mm. You would be best off with 97. It is large but no where near as large as the old Garrett.
Precision Turbo
TRZ motorsports
NGM Diesel
EFI Live
Current Performance
Liljohn
Injector Dynamics
Hutter Racing Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited View Post
This is why you should only build generic junk for the masses because really thats all they can handle! The moment they feel insecure straight to the key board they go! Being creative and trying to push stuff is only worth doing for yourself.
JOHNBOY66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #51
ott308
Launchin

Make it easy on yourself. Buy an S400 series turbo and swap your turbo for a camshaft from LilJohn. I run a custom cam from LilJohn in my 383 LS VERY IMPRESSED!!! Will be using another cam from him shortly in a LQ4 project I am starting soon!
ott308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #52
71 chevy
Smoked another BBC

s400, ls6 cam, and have fun

"Marketing has won over truth for many years!" Airflowdev

"the first rule of racing is that everyone spends all the money they have" - kevin Cameron
71 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #53
LilJohn
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 chevy View Post
s400, ls6 cam, and have fun
Yea cause we all know a stock cam designed for an Na application has the PERFECT events for a turbo motor.

888-583-4408
www.LilJohnsMotorsports.com
LJMSJohn@gmail.com

Dealer for Brian Tooley Racing, Bullet Cams, Comp Cams, Borg Warner, Garrett, Forced Inductions, Callies, Wiseco, Billet Atomizer Injectors , Ultimate Converter Concepts, and many more.

Some men want the glory of being like John Force. Me, I wanna be Austin Coil.

Like us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/Li...sportSolutions
LilJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #54
71 chevy
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Yea cause we all know a stock cam designed for an Na application has the PERFECT events for a turbo motor.
lol. because in your world turbocharged output at X amount of boost is NOT based on NA output.

in the real world, it is. Therefore, a cheap ls6 cam making 350whp NA, will make close to 700 to the wheels at 15psi, which is more than enough for the average person, and definitely more than enough for the average stock bottom end engine.

speaking about real world, how do you go about testing custom cams you spec? do you have access to a dyno (and an engine on the dyno) to test these cams you design? how many customers do you have actively racing who provide solid feedback on your cams? how many AB tests have you done in the last year.

rhetorical questions. the answers to these are obvious to anyone paying attention. lol

"Marketing has won over truth for many years!" Airflowdev

"the first rule of racing is that everyone spends all the money they have" - kevin Cameron

Last edited by 71 chevy; 12-25-2012 at 01:01 AM.
71 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:17 AM   #55
ott308
Launchin

Why would you fuck around? If you are stripping the motor and putting a camshaft in, why not get the most out of it for another couple hundred dollars? Cheap horsepower. My old cam scraped into the 12s at 123mph. LilJohn cam has gone 11.0@128 with 4psi less boost! Stalls better and produces power over more rpm. I also changed from a T4 83mm turbo to a T6 96mm turbo 75-80 compressor, and it spools quicker now. With the old setup I had it professionally tuned, now I do it myself on the highway. First car I have ever really tuned. Currently the 11.0 pass has 15deg timing with no cooler or meth (will bump the timing up soon). The best pass prior was 11.7 with 21deg timing and meth spray. I am confident the cam and turbo will get me into the low 10s at 4210lb? Your money, your choice. But this is my experience.
ott308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #56
PEP FAB
Spooled up

pretty shure i'm gonna give liljohn's cam a try. cant even find used z06 cam around here.i can have a new s475 for cheap, not shure what model yet but i'ts oem truck apps.

is a single 44mm w.g. enuff with good placement?

Last edited by PEP FAB; 12-25-2012 at 10:30 AM.
PEP FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #57
Grr
Pullin gears

I LOL when every dumbass says LS6 CAM!!! That cam is a piece of shit, end of the story. Get a real fucking cam or STFU

pep fab, you are making the right choice with the bigger cam, I ran a LS6 cam in my 6.0 s475 96mm turbine setup for about a month, what a joke. I then spec'd my own cam which is along the lines of what liljohn posted but with less lift and really soft lobes. Picked up a solid 100hp with no other changes. And thats not bullshit

I used: (@.050)
IVC 43*
EVO 55*
Overlap 10*
Was basically a 230/238 .565" on a 112+4
3200 stall in a 4l80, 3.08 rear gear, backpressure ratio was 1.2:1 and it spooled ok. completely stock 6.0 with a cam only. Made around 750whp on 12-13# and god knows what at 21# which was the most I ran on it, but my estimates were in the 900whp area, non intercooled E85 no methanol. Car was a roll racing king would run away from high 140's trapping cars on the highway all day at 16#

Last edited by Grr; 12-25-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Grr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #58
LilJohn
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 chevy View Post
lol. because in your world turbocharged output at X amount of boost is NOT based on NA output.

in the real world, it is. Therefore, a cheap ls6 cam making 350whp NA, will make close to 700 to the wheels at 15psi, which is more than enough for the average person, and definitely more than enough for the average stock bottom end engine.

speaking about real world, how do you go about testing custom cams you spec? do you have access to a dyno (and an engine on the dyno) to test these cams you design? how many customers do you have actively racing who provide solid feedback on your cams? how many AB tests have you done in the last year.

rhetorical questions. the answers to these are obvious to anyone paying attention. lol
They are obvious to anyone paying attention.

Cal Hayward won True street at the Nmca/nmra superbowl race in Joliet with my cam.

Rick Prospero won Drag Week with one. As a side note, He ran DW start to finish and never pulled the valve covers once. My cam picked him up from running 8 ohs at 176 iirc to running 7.80's@183.

Mike Brown (the ohio boys) contacted me and in a collaborative effort with Jeff at ERL we came up with a couple grinds for him to try. After that I do believe he won back to back races in Bowling Green and Indianapolis.

If you think you get exactly double the rwhp at 15 psi as you have N/a youre a fool. In the REAL world people actually think about an engine VE and other factors....

So your way takes 15 psi... and with a camshaft with proper events it can make that number on 10 or 12.

Did you read Ott308's post? Properly sized turbine and cam from an undersized turbine and cam and the car picked up 5 mph on 4 psi less boost.

Theres your real world results. But i know it was typed in Vain. You'll come up with another excuse to take the counterpoint.

Merry Christmas.

888-583-4408
www.LilJohnsMotorsports.com
LJMSJohn@gmail.com

Dealer for Brian Tooley Racing, Bullet Cams, Comp Cams, Borg Warner, Garrett, Forced Inductions, Callies, Wiseco, Billet Atomizer Injectors , Ultimate Converter Concepts, and many more.

Some men want the glory of being like John Force. Me, I wanna be Austin Coil.

Like us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/Li...sportSolutions

Last edited by LilJohn; 12-25-2012 at 11:07 AM.
LilJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #59
Grr
Pullin gears

One other thing with the LS6 cam guy up there, 350whp NA?!!?!? In a cammed LS motor? better be a 4.8, cause a 6.0 with a cam not making over 400whp you did something wrong. Might as well start off with another 50hp for another $100 no? pretty good investment IMO
Grr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #60
Angry Snail
Pullin gears

Don't know what the best cam for a turbo LQ4 is...........that's why liljohn will be handling that

Merry Christmas
Angry Snail is offline   Reply With Quote