EGR delete~6.0 Poweryank - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Diesel Power

Old 02-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
covertolds
Smoked another BBC

Default EGR delete~6.0 Poweryank

I started the removal of the EGR on my 2006 F-350 last night. We bought the truck new and is used mainly as a tow rig. It currently has 22719 miles on it. It's had two turbos replaced due to my lack of driving it, both under warranty. Also developed an oil leak at around 16000 miles. Turned out to be the bed plate or something of the sort. Engine came out to fix the oil leak. While the engine was out, we had ARP head studs installed so that's done.

I've heard many horror stories in regards to the EGR's failing on these engines, hence the deletion. I have no further plans for mods, just want it to be reliable, especially now that the warranty has expired. Yeah, yeah, you shoulda bought a Duramax or a Cummins. Save it, I own it and can't get anything different for some time.

I guess my whole point to these ramblings is, to those that work on these things every day, my hats off to you.
covertolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
BDR5oh
Pre-Staged

Default Re: EGR delete~6.0 Poweryank

we have 75 of these in our paratransit fleet and they are all in E vans ...... we have 1 guy that does injectors and oil plugs all week ... takes him 3 days to do a bank of injectors ... shitty part is that by the time hes almost done with one ... 2 more go down .... our biggest enemy is idling ... 80% of the time thats all they do
BDR5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Gdogg
Smoked another BBC

While you are deleting the EGR change the STC fitting on the HPOP, also there is a fuel pressure regulator upgrade. I can post the part #'s later, you can get the parts at the dealer. When you delete the EGR on a 2006 it will turn on the CEL, I have used the SCT tuner to tune out the code. After you do these mods you will see better mileage and it will run better.
Gdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
mobeydick
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdogg View Post
While you are deleting the EGR change the STC fitting on the HPOP, also there is a fuel pressure regulator upgrade. I can post the part #'s later, you can get the parts at the dealer. When you delete the EGR on a 2006 it will turn on the CEL, I have used the SCT tuner to tune out the code. After you do these mods you will see better mileage and it will run better.
At 3,800 miles a year the STC fitting will never go bad while he owns it!
*note disclaimer* I hate Hypocrites, Liars, Druggies/Drunks and Thieves. I am also considered an ahole in general. I am ok with it, so don't bother pointing it out, I already know. I guess I need to add this also. If you quote me and I don't respond after the second time, I most likely have you on my Ignore list. I wouldn't mind you adding me to yours!
mobeydick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
mobeydick
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertolds View Post
I started the removal of the EGR on my 2006 F-350 last night. We bought the truck new and is used mainly as a tow rig. It currently has 22719 miles on it. It's had two turbos replaced due to my lack of driving it, both under warranty. Also developed an oil leak at around 16000 miles. Turned out to be the bed plate or something of the sort. Engine came out to fix the oil leak. While the engine was out, we had ARP head studs installed so that's done.

I've heard many horror stories in regards to the EGR's failing on these engines, hence the deletion. I have no further plans for mods, just want it to be reliable, especially now that the warranty has expired. Yeah, yeah, you shoulda bought a Duramax or a Cummins. Save it, I own it and can't get anything different for some time.

I guess my whole point to these ramblings is, to those that work on these things every day, my hats off to you.
You bought a $35,000 truck to tow 3,800 miles a year. You have more money than brains.
*note disclaimer* I hate Hypocrites, Liars, Druggies/Drunks and Thieves. I am also considered an ahole in general. I am ok with it, so don't bother pointing it out, I already know. I guess I need to add this also. If you quote me and I don't respond after the second time, I most likely have you on my Ignore list. I wouldn't mind you adding me to yours!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
covertolds
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobeydick View Post
You bought a $35,000 truck to tow 3,800 miles a year. You have more money than brains.
Jealous?

Oh, and it was more than $35000.00.

Last edited by covertolds; 02-10-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
mobeydick
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Jealous?

Oh, and it was more than $35000.00.
I have 3 Superduties. 01 7.3 355,xxx miles 05 163,xxx miles and a 06 140,xxx miles. So, no, I'm not Jealous. Just smart enough to know you can rent a tow rig for a third of what you have paid!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
covertolds
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
I have 3 Superduties. 01 7.3 355,xxx miles 05 163,xxx miles and a 06 140,xxx miles. So, no, I'm not Jealous. Just smart enough to know you can rent a tow rig for a third of what you have paid!
This truck should last me for a very long time so I guess that'll put me money ahead.

Haters gonna hate.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Mi.5.0Fred
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
My 04 F-350 CC SRW 4X4 8 foot bed was 41K on the X plan,so a 06 was probably 45-48K unless it was a reg cab 2 WD.

No one wants the Lead Trophy, but everyone wants the Titanium Hall Pass.
I have gone through the traps upside down and on fire, but I have never seen Elvis at 1000 feet.
Mi.5.0Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
mobeydick
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi.5.0Fred View Post
My 04 F-350 CC SRW 4X4 8 foot bed was 41K on the X plan,so a 06 was probably 45-48K unless it was a reg cab 2 WD.
I was thinking Minimum (At Least) 2wd Reg cab xl. My 06 F350 6.0 Lariat CC LB 4X4 SRW was $43,400.00
Old 02-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
whtcoupe
Cowboy up
Smoked another BBC

Ouch, calm down boys.
whtcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
mobeydick
Smoked Another SBC

Yep, somewhere around 60 years! What do you think the price of Diesel will be then, if there is any to be obtained to begin with?! Not hating, I just don't think you spent the money wisely.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
covertolds
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Yep, somewhere around 60 years! What do you think the price of Diesel will be then, if there is any to be obtained to begin with?! Not hating, I just don't think you spent the money wisely.
When it comes to cars/hot rods, is money ever "wisely" spent?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
Mi.5.0Fred
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
When it comes to cars/hot rods, is money ever "wisely" spent?

My buddy has a T-shirt that says "I spent most of my money on Fast Cars Fast Women and Booze, the rest I just wasted."

No one wants the Lead Trophy, but everyone wants the Titanium Hall Pass.
I have gone through the traps upside down and on fire, but I have never seen Elvis at 1000 feet.
Mi.5.0Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #15
CJT
Spooled up

Also you may want to look into doing the up pipe at the same time. I did mine, it had failed around 75 to 80k on the truck. Smelled like exhaust in the truck all the time.
CJT is offline   Reply With Quote