Tips to keep a 6.0 Ford alive - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Diesel Power

Old 12-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
JBradley500
Smoked Another SBC

Default Tips to keep a 6.0 Ford alive

What are the key steps to keep this engine going? I have a friend who got a good deal on one (2005) and the best thing I could tell him was to run Motorcraft filters and change the oil before 5k miles. Also said don't put a programmer on it.

I would tell him egr delete, new oil cooler, and head studs but i don't think the money is there.
JBradley500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
sprayinstang
Launchin

Default Re: Tips to keep a 6.0 Ford alive?

Egr delete would be first on my list.
sprayinstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Casey23
Launchin

list the miles and stuff... need more info... over 125K be ready for some updates...
Casey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
TrikeMike
Launchin

The EGR is what kills these trucks.
TrikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
whtcoupe
Cowboy up
Smoked another BBC

Get a bulletproof performance egr cooler, and change the oil on good intervals.
whtcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
KeithC
Pullin gears

This is a pretty good run down of everything http://www.littlepowershop.com/60problems.html
I don't run motorcraft filters i run napa filters in mine, made by wix the same people who make motorcraft filters. I change my oil every 5k and fuel filters every 10k i have 60k on my 06 never had a problem yet knock on wood.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
JBradley500
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
This is a pretty good run down of everything http://www.littlepowershop.com/60problems.html
I don't run motorcraft filters i run napa filters in mine, made by wix the same people who make motorcraft filters. I change my oil every 5k and fuel filters every 10k i have 60k on my 06 never had a problem yet knock on wood.
that link was good. i sent it to him.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
WTFWSAT
Launchin

Get a good set of gauges like an Edge Insight. The Biggest problem with these trucks is the oil cooler getting plugged. This leads to egr failures which then leads to blow head gaskets. With the edge insight you can moniter oil and coolant temps. The temperature delta between the 2 shouldnt be more than 15*. Also install an egt to keep that in check. If hes interested in tuning get a SCT with custom tunes from innovative diesel or gearhead performance. Check out powerstroke.org.
WTFWSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
Damn Yankee
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFWSAT View Post
The Biggest problem with these trucks is the oil cooler getting plugged. This leads to egr failures which then leads to blow head gaskets. The temperature delta between the 2 shouldnt be more than 15*.
This is no lie. I took oustanding care of my truck changing the oil and filter at 5K miles religiously, as well as changing fuel filters every 15K miles. Was never beat on, or modded in any fashion. At 6 years old with only 61K miles I started getting a code and took it in to the dealer where a friend is a diesel mechanic. Turns out the coolant was seeping into the oil cooler and the computer showed the temp difference had reached as much as 21 degrees. Estimate was 4-5K including the replacement of 3 bad glow plugs I was unaware of. If they got in there and found it caused any damage to the head gaskets, or heads themselves, I was told it would be another 8K because the cab would have to come off. Several people would often ask me if I would sell them the truck when I went to buy a new one, thats how well it was taken care of. Because we had bought so many vehicles from them (5) over the last 8 years, they gave me 18.5K on the trade in, $5500 in rebates, and I used a family Z plan pin number towards a new 2011 F-250 FX4 with the 6.7 Diesel.

In a nut shell tell your friend to fix it, and dump it

Sheep...........Mere Sheep !!!!!!
Damn Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
95GTSpeedDemon
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
nope. racor makes motorcraft. i pulled a wix filter from the lower and guess what.. air pocket. only uses 1/2 the filter when that happens.

egr delete of block off BOTH ports.
exhaust delete (cats/muffler)
maintenance 5k oil and 15k fuel filters.
never run low on fuel.
keep an eye on EOT/ECT temps, over 15* @ 200* temps and your oil cooler is stopping up.
you can run cetane booster, twc-3 2 stroke oil is suppose to help keep the injectors happier 1oz per gallon.
coolant filter or run ELC coolant without silicates.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Diesel power
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradley500 View Post
What are the key steps to keep this engine going? I have a friend who got a good deal on one (2005) and the best thing I could tell him was to run Motorcraft filters and change the oil before 5k miles. Also said don't put a programmer on it.

I would tell him egr delete, new oil cooler, and head studs but i don't think the money is there.

Sell it and buy a dodge or chevy...

Seriously, they fail bone stock!

Best advice is to put a better fuel filter system on there, Fass or fuelab pumps are very nice. put synthetic oil in everything. egr and oil cooler if he has money...

maybe exhaust, but thats it.
2013 NHRDA National Pro stock champion
2013 NHRDA World Pro stock champion
2013 NHRDA Pro stock World record holder
"Honey Badger"
Fastest D- max diesel truck in the world 4.82 @ 152 1/8th 2800lbs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEzsM...vx38sW9Dkbi6zg
Diesel power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
JBradley500
Smoked Another SBC

I tried and tried to get him to buy anything but a 6.0 but you know how people are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel power View Post
Sell it and buy a dodge or chevy...

Seriously, they fail bone stock!

Best advice is to put a better fuel filter system on there, Fass or fuelab pumps are very nice. put synthetic oil in everything. egr and oil cooler if he has money...

maybe exhaust, but thats it.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
Colt
Ask me about my Weiner!..
Smoked another BBC

Coolant filter!! You wouldnt believe the shit thats in those cooling systems, nasty..
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
David.Powell
Smoked another BBC

We work on many 6.0's.... Fixed they are great engines if maintained correctly,here is what we recommend

The egr system needs addressed either by deleting it or going to a aftermarket cooler
Quality engine oil is a must,you CANNOT run ROTELLA in a 6.0, we recommend AMSOIL synthetic and their absolute efficiency oil filter( this oil has a 25,000 mile drain interval) I can't stress how important oil is in a 6.0...
The cooling system maintenance is critical as well... You must change the coolant at the scheduled intervals...

If you plan to add a tune to your truck DO NOT buy a cookie cutter programmer with a generic tune... Get with a reputable tuner and discuss what you expect from your truck..

Quality cold air intake is always better than a stock system

High flow exhaust is recommended ..

Treat a 6.0 the way it should be and the truck will in most cases be a reliable vehicle
hdperformanceandparts@yahoo.com
engine builder for brian mitchell efi renegade(311" sbf non inter cooled YSi 8.211 at 168 mph
REV-X PRODUCTS DEALER
AMSOIL PRODUCTS DEALER
CALLIES DEALER
DIAMOND PISTONS DEALER
MANTON DEALER
David.Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #15
KeithC
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Powell View Post
We work on many 6.0's.... Fixed they are great engines if maintained correctly,here is what we recommend

The egr system needs addressed either by deleting it or going to a aftermarket cooler
Quality engine oil is a must,you CANNOT run ROTELLA in a 6.0, we recommend AMSOIL synthetic and their absolute efficiency oil filter( this oil has a 25,000 mile drain interval) I can't stress how important oil is in a 6.0...
The cooling system maintenance is critical as well... You must change the coolant at the scheduled intervals...

If you plan to add a tune to your truck DO NOT buy a cookie cutter programmer with a generic tune... Get with a reputable tuner and discuss what you expect from your truck..

Quality cold air intake is always better than a stock system

High flow exhaust is recommended ..

Treat a 6.0 the way it should be and the truck will in most cases be a reliable vehicle

I have a dumb question, can u take care of the egr problem by buying a programer and having a tuner set the egr at 0% duty cycle.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote