Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Yates c3 headed horsepower

15K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  calypso50kid 
#1 ·
Who has the baddest c3 headed NA small blocks out there,

#6 · (Edited)
My 427 is a wimp compared to the one above but its also conservative with just shy of 800 hp and 635ish tq in N/A trim. Also it was built for a big hit of spray, just haven't done it yet.

#8 ·
Kuntz told me the C3 heads generally make more power than the flow numbers might indicate. Currently putting together a 323" with 800 hp as a target. Wintessed a 311" being dyno'd at Stealy's in Moline several years back, made 804 well into five figures.

#9 ·
Kuntz told me the C3 heads generally make more power than the flow numbers might indicate. Currently putting together a 323" with 800 hp as a target. Wintessed a 311" being dyno'd at Stealy's in Moline several years back, made 804 well into five figures.
I hope you are right because my flow numbers are a bit low for the hp I want to make

#21 ·
What makes a C3 head special? Sorry for the bone head question up front...but I don't know much about these types of heads for SBF's
Need to learn too.

They are old Ford Motorsport M-6049-C3 aluminum canted valve Cleveland style heads originally designed for NASCAR. Robert Yates racing did alot of design work on them if I am correct. There are simillar heads out there such as the Brodix Neal head.

#17 ·
I believe Glidden uses C3's and he has said his engine made 900hp ( I think the smallest one) average setup for nitrous. I don't think he ever has said peak hp.

#22 ·
Be careful though because there are a few designs of valve angles on them. you really have to pay close attention to part #s. They all have good potential though. ssocobra knows quite a bit about the yates stuff. Mine are actually Blue Thunder heads but I have a C3 style intake on it.

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks Kent , and you are correct. Although the part numbers are just that prt#'s
Some of these heads can fool you.
The Yates /SVO M6049 C3 from casting date 1/01/00 -12/27/03(which have the provision machining for the jesel J2k rocker stands)Will be NON CANTED. As well as the NEAL BF 201&202 is not
The odd thing is, those heads were based off of the stock clevland head and those heads are CANTED

However ther are heads out there like the C302,s
Losito's , Eddy Sc1's ect ect are CANTED
One of the main things to pay close attention on is the chamber layout ESP for a nitrous assisted engine as well as quench

Sent from my iPhone

#26 ·
I have a set of bf201's what would be better canted or non canted. Nitrous motor? I had my chambers cut for nitrous. Just wondering why some are canted and some are not. Pros and con's. Thanks for the info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.