Yellow Bullet Forums banner

The diesel engine as a viable performance option

58K views 543 replies 78 participants last post by  Powerstroked162 
#1 · (Edited)
First I’m primarily a gas racer; I cut my racing teeth as a Competition Eliminatorcrew member, and racer. I get a woodie when I put my foot on the throttle of a 11,000 rpm small block.

I was stranded without a affordable and competitive engine program at the end 2001 season, after a fairly successfully 5 years of campaigning a D/ed with a Splayed valve V6. I stumbled in to the diesel performance world, and found it to be a new found passion.

The diesel engine development curve is where the gas world was 30 years ago. I speculated it would rapidly catch up, and it’s coming along, there are a lot of inovatators in the diesel couminity .
When I first started with diesels, mentioning cylinder head and cam development was laughed at. They stated that boost would overcome it all. 6 years later the shop that I begged to do my head, and build a sheet metal manifold has a 3 month waiting list to get a head and manifold.

So is the diesel engine as a viable power plant for a muscle car, bracket car, or even race car .
I don’t mean the typical smoke belching engine, but well refined engine programs. The diesel engine has made huge gains in this arena with the advent of electronic common rail high pressure with 20,000 to 30,000 psi fuel systems.
With the CR systems you can tune around destructive peak cylinder pressure as the engine goes thru peak torque. The solution to this before, on mechanical fuel systems was to reduce compression ratio, killing low eng cylinder pressure, and this worked on all out engines, but killed bottom throttle response. These lack of bottom end , also effected the AR selection on turbo’s

The advent of cylinder heads that in effect doubled air flow (Cummins stock 144 CFM ) ( Duramax stock 140 CFM ) to both heads flowing close to 250 CFM on streetable heads and 300+ CFM on all out race heads.

Cam design, which I made one of my pet projects, was way behind. The major player would grind BBF RV grinds on the Cummins 54.5 mm core, the events were to big , and with way to much overlap
Problems was the turbo diesel engine cores were on at best 102 to 106 LSA and the overlap was one of the greatest no no’s on a diesel . The diesel engine has little scavenge with 1.2 to 1.5 boost to turbine inlet pressure ratio’s . The tipical street cams would open the intake 10 ATDC and close at 2 or 3 ABDC . I use a cams that is 230 230 on a 116 in at 116 . and do it on 60 mm cores

So to the latest in Chevy Duramax engine for a street engine
First forget the huge injectors, twin pumps and compound turbo’s. A stock short block Duramax with a good cylinder head, and cams program will breath well, and make 600 hp and 1000 ft lbs of torque, and rev to 5000+ rpms and last forever. The great part about doing the heads and cam, on a entry level engine is, that now this good breathing engine will make a good power curve at low boost levels. The great part is no need for an intercooler at this boost level. Just use Water injection on the street.

This engine in a muscle car will run good, smoke free, and get 40+ MPG on # 2 diesel fuel. Go ahead and put a good set of rods in the motor and the hp level is close to 1100 hp with nitrous , which doubles as an intercooler.

Here are some pictures of the NX Mustang and My Dragster and their engine programs based around the Dmax diesel engine.

Oh and I love this forum, the knowledge level is humbling.

See less See more
#79 · (Edited)
Crewmember doesn't count....but didn't Sir Richard make some shakedown passes in DeRanged?

I know you do, bigrpowr, wasn't aiming that at you.
didnt think you were. no sweat.

my next question is in regards to greggy's "converter program" .... wasnt that shown to be old technology in the blown alky world when you were supposedly bringing new stuff to the diesel world? how did that work out for you?

#85 ·
I see Unbroken is still on , I guess you stayed up to late to go and troll the *** car , opp truck club , and see if you could find a big old penis to swallow.
:-gay

So ***** lets get this straight , what you accusing me of

First

I let people know what I’m doing currently on a project.

Second, I pimp the people that make it possible to go to the track, and show some of their good work, “ kind of like the hundreds of Eye candy threads you start about you buddy’s , hoping they might give you a scrap” . by the way goober gobbler , you buddy’s manifold was 40 hp down on Greg’s manifold at a back to back dyno test , that why this major vendor ordered 30 of his side draft Cummins manifolds , but if that was ever mention , you will pull it off right

Third, I have all of the people that help me , and do all the work, well see the above thread , it’s one or the other cum guzzler I do give credit , or Im a pimp, pich one
But tonight, I’m under my Texas Mile Ride , working on it alone .

Forth peter puffer

you accuse me of telling a Collage girl at a race ?I wasn't within a 1000 miles of that I had a big dick, wow , I’ll be banned from Yellow bullet for that. wished I had of , what did she look like ..

oh and I run Nitrous , hmmmmm . hence the NX on the side of the car ..... that will get me banned from yellow bullet.

And you Bring up one of my old Competition Eliminator Crew member Anna , you low life Wong woofer , trying to get back and me by slandering in public a girl who is done nothing but work hard to become a great racer .

she is 10 time the wrench you will ever be, anyone ever let you pecker pulling hands touch the springs on a 11,000 15 degree small block, I bet you wipe parts. Not that there is anything wrong with wiping parts , I started there as well, and I showed respect to people that I knew were above me in knowledge and experience.

So kiss my ASS YOU HOMOSEXUAL COWARD. Oh on second thought, I’m not letting you slong licker any where near me.

Oh and the girl be is besmirching is in the picture below at the winter nationals

#87 ·
sorry , but this guy has been a bully on the diesel forums , the ones he is not banned from , and I just had to let it out.
he has rallyed all of his herd bound guys , to come over and do this to this thread. he will do this all the time on those forums

lets talk about diesels engine programs again

#89 ·
Never had a problem with you John....only the fake ass bitch you happen to work with.
I love all the delusional stuff he comes
Up with though...it's great.
Gotta head to the office but a few quick points Greg just to clarify.
One...I'm on my phone so it'll show me logged on indfinity
Two....not banned from any diesel site anywhere
Three...I never said a bad word about Anna. YOU are the one telling people what she does for you behind the scenes.
Four...I was shown this thread...and haven't told one sine person about it. They come here on their own because they also know the truth about you.
You're a piece of shit...period.
All I see is numerous people backing up what Im saying and nobody in your court.
What does that tell ya, dumbass?

#94 ·
Damn did I miss a lot. Just curious were did all the cool ass diesel shit go? Haven't seen any since page 2. After that its just a smallest dick measuring contest. I would like to see some more custom diesel stuff in here. How about all the guys trashing this so much help the tread out by posting up some pics of the projects they have down so we can all admire them. Just a though :smt102

#99 ·
And this has been on the backburner in my shop for about 3 years now, lol. Gonna get fitted with a common-rail injected 7.3 Powerstroke from Empire Diesel eventually. Hopefully I'll be back on it around the middle of next year:

And this one will be getting backhalfed and a 6.4 Powerstroke also from Empire in the beginning of next year. I've already got the front suspension done (not shown in the pic):

And this is my old ride. It was kinda fun too. :D :

And my all time favorite diesel event pic. Pretty well sums a diesel event up, lol. That's UNBROKEN in the pic with my truck:

#104 ·
And my all time favorite diesel event pic. Pretty well sums a diesel event up, lol. That's UNBROKEN in the pic with my truck:

This about sums it up doesn’t it

#106 · (Edited)
You know a Hot Rod is a Hot Rod, no matter what level.
I remember when I first started going to the races with Al Weiss years ago, and I got to ride to the starting line with Eddie Hill's crew on Sunday during eliminations , after the pass, on the return road , a stocker was doing the stock car crawl , going back to the line , trying to cool down. One of the fuel Funny cars in front of us, was honking and yelling at the stocker to “ get that piece of junk out of the way “ and let a real car pass.

I was very new to the sport, and I mention, did the stocker know that a Pro was trying to get around and why were they going so slow .
Al waited till we got back to the trailer, and explained, that on Sunday, stockers were made to go straight back to the staging lanes, with no cool down to hurry the show up. The stockers would drive slowly to try and cool down before their next run.

Eddie overheard the conversation, and then further explained , that the stocker was the grass roots of the sport, and there was more honor in running stock then the guys setting in the stands. Then he told me that that man's Hot rod was just as important to him, as any top fuel car on the property.
He further expounded if it had been one of his guys yelling, he would have put them out the gate right then.

Point is we all start somewhere, and all that is really important is, what it means to you, the enjoyment you get when working on your truck is all that you should care about.

There will always be someone faster , or with nicer equipment , but personal pride is what counts

#131 ·
list the cars you've owned since getting your d/license - Page 8 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Race cars
1991 Camaro 532 symmetric port Chevy
1995 Bos dragster D/ED best time 7.91 @168
2000 Bos Dragster D/ED best time 7.48 @ 172
1995 Camaro SS/DM 8.90 @ 155
1997 Bickel PST Cummins diesel 8.29 @ 167 (Dr Performance)
2003 Dodge ¾ ton Project X diesel 11.21 @ 129.88 6000 lbs 167.88 in mile (Kirk Manuel)
2000 VW beetle diesel 350 hp 13.79 @103 mph 132 mph Texas Mile (not yours either)
1996 Uhara 288 dragster Dmax’s diesel , ??? (Mike Woods)

Greg....you did not OWN any of these cars. You're a lying piece of shit. I wish I knew the rest but it's probably not that hard to find out.

#139 ·
list the cars you've owned since getting your d/license - Page 8 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Race cars
1991 Camaro 532 symmetric port Chevy
1995 Bos dragster D/ED best time 7.91 @168
2000 Bos Dragster D/ED best time 7.48 @ 172
1995 Camaro SS/DM 8.90 @ 155
1997 Bickel PST Cummins diesel 8.29 @ 167 (Dr Performance)
2003 Dodge ¾ ton Project X diesel 11.21 @ 129.88 6000 lbs 167.88 in mile (Kirk Manuel)
2000 VW beetle diesel 350 hp 13.79 @103 mph 132 mph Texas Mile (not yours either)
1996 Uhara 288 dragster Dmax’s diesel , ??? (Mike Woods)

Greg....you did not OWN any of these cars. You're a lying piece of shit. I wish I knew the rest but it's probably not that hard to find out.
I cant say who owns what. I don't really know. But I can say every time I have been to Gregs house the Beetle is there. Every race I have been to with him he towed it with his trailer and truck.

The Dragster the chassis is Mike's as far as I know but the engine, trans, and most everything else Greg bought. You guy keep beating him down because it is taking him so long. He is not racing on someone elses check book. Every time I go to Texas he has more parts. I know he would like for it to be done but it takes time.

Greg is a passionate guy. His passion for diesels is impressive even to me. His real problem if you can call it one is that he a little boy at Christmas when he gets new parts. He want to show them off. You guys hate that. You hate he is doing something.

The diesel world in general is pretty sad. Look what happens on diesel forums when I guy asks a question or show parts he has broken. He either gets beat down by a bunch interweb badazzs or get told he must by these parts from the forum sponsors he does not need because if you want to fit in you need them.

Damn near as pathetic as the import scene was with the worthless wings and fart can mufflers.

Greg has helped me ton. I needed some custom studs made. ARP would not make them for me. Greg has the pull with ARP to get them made. I would not tune Mike's car or Wade's truck if it where not for Greg.

Mike would have never put a diesel in the Mustang if it where not for Greg. Greg's cam and springs are in that car. They flat work.

Wade has had a lot of help from Greg. Greg has helped lots of people.

You just chase him around trying to make him look bad. Which sometimes is not very hard. But that doesn't make it right. You could try to out run him at the track. That in your sig sure sounds like it fast. But how fast is it? What would happen if you showed up and raced him and lost? That would be bad. Better not risk it.

We will be at The Texas Mile this weekend racing. You know where to find us.;)

#133 ·
WOW.....don't really know why I'm reading this thread.....Anyways, I don't know what shit has gone on in the past on other forums, but I thought I'd let you guys know you all look like a bunch of pussies in this thread. Makes me think of something I would read if I were on a "3rd grade girls only" forum.

#134 ·
First off, I never found this newby thread, so here is my first post.

Some of you from CompD among other forums would know me. Next season will be my 31st year in drag racing, I have raced many different vehicles, from my mothers car, to pickup trucks, motorcycles to single purpose race cars. My current truck is the fastest unit I have ever raced, I have been consistantly in the 10's with this truck. I say this just so it is on record that I know at least a little bit about racing and diesel engines.

I have never met Greg in person, but I have talked to him many many times at length. I have also purchased product from him. He has never been a jerk, very freindly and very willing to help out in any way that he can. He DOES know his stuff in my opinion. He maybe goes a little overboard from time to time to get his points accross, but really is there anyone out here that dosent push the envelope from time to time?? Really??

I have to say that this thread started out good, with some very good interesting information, and then it went to shit! Its stuff like this that sometimes makes me almost embarassed to drive a diesel race truck....... one person has a problem with someone, says his peice, then all of a sudden there is a bunch of mice that follow along and talk a bunch of shit that sounds cool,, but really isnt. I thought that most of us got out of that when we finished high school.

If you want to call me a Greg fan, whatever. This is not my point, I just cant stand the child like bullshit that happens. The whole reason I got into diesel racing instead of continuing in the gas world was the people, but that seems to be going down the drain.

Well that is my point, take it for what it is worth, say what you will.

Kevin

#140 ·
Your so lost you don't even now what is really going on. Just a pawn in stupid game. Other than you keyboard you have nothing.

Rather not work on your stuff and try to get faster. You try to build cred by bashing because keyboard racing is easier than wrenching. Besides after all the shit you have talked what would happen if your truck is still slow? Better not risk that. Just buy another TDI and make excuses why you can afford the parts for your truck.:-gay

#141 ·
Very unprofessional. Greg was doing his thing, like he always does, just trying to promote diesel motorsports, and show the gasser guys what we got.

Potential sponsors
Potential buyers
Potential diesel racers

All were reading this thread, and were very interested.

Now there just back laughing at how we will never grow into a mainstream sport because we cant get along. Reguardless if you like him or not you should have at least supported the thread. All you guys know better, you act like you dont care.

I however do care about our sport/ our racers/ and our members and feel that you guys owe greg and YB an appology for acting like a bunch of tards.

#142 ·
Very unprofessional. Greg was doing his thing, like he always does, just trying to promote diesel motorsports, and show the gasser guys what we got.

Potential sponsors
Potential buyers
Potential diesel racers

All were reading this thread, and were very interested.

Now there just back laughing at how we will never grow into a mainstream sport because we cant get along. Reguardless if you like him or not you should have at least supported the thread. All you guys know better, you act like you dont care.

I however do care about our sport/ our racers/ and our members and feel that you guys owe greg and YB an appology for acting like a bunch of tards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.