Yellow Bullet Forums banner

The diesel engine as a viable performance option

58K views 543 replies 78 participants last post by  Powerstroked162 
#1 · (Edited)
First I’m primarily a gas racer; I cut my racing teeth as a Competition Eliminatorcrew member, and racer. I get a woodie when I put my foot on the throttle of a 11,000 rpm small block.

I was stranded without a affordable and competitive engine program at the end 2001 season, after a fairly successfully 5 years of campaigning a D/ed with a Splayed valve V6. I stumbled in to the diesel performance world, and found it to be a new found passion.

The diesel engine development curve is where the gas world was 30 years ago. I speculated it would rapidly catch up, and it’s coming along, there are a lot of inovatators in the diesel couminity .
When I first started with diesels, mentioning cylinder head and cam development was laughed at. They stated that boost would overcome it all. 6 years later the shop that I begged to do my head, and build a sheet metal manifold has a 3 month waiting list to get a head and manifold.

So is the diesel engine as a viable power plant for a muscle car, bracket car, or even race car .
I don’t mean the typical smoke belching engine, but well refined engine programs. The diesel engine has made huge gains in this arena with the advent of electronic common rail high pressure with 20,000 to 30,000 psi fuel systems.
With the CR systems you can tune around destructive peak cylinder pressure as the engine goes thru peak torque. The solution to this before, on mechanical fuel systems was to reduce compression ratio, killing low eng cylinder pressure, and this worked on all out engines, but killed bottom throttle response. These lack of bottom end , also effected the AR selection on turbo’s

The advent of cylinder heads that in effect doubled air flow (Cummins stock 144 CFM ) ( Duramax stock 140 CFM ) to both heads flowing close to 250 CFM on streetable heads and 300+ CFM on all out race heads.

Cam design, which I made one of my pet projects, was way behind. The major player would grind BBF RV grinds on the Cummins 54.5 mm core, the events were to big , and with way to much overlap
Problems was the turbo diesel engine cores were on at best 102 to 106 LSA and the overlap was one of the greatest no no’s on a diesel . The diesel engine has little scavenge with 1.2 to 1.5 boost to turbine inlet pressure ratio’s . The tipical street cams would open the intake 10 ATDC and close at 2 or 3 ABDC . I use a cams that is 230 230 on a 116 in at 116 . and do it on 60 mm cores

So to the latest in Chevy Duramax engine for a street engine
First forget the huge injectors, twin pumps and compound turbo’s. A stock short block Duramax with a good cylinder head, and cams program will breath well, and make 600 hp and 1000 ft lbs of torque, and rev to 5000+ rpms and last forever. The great part about doing the heads and cam, on a entry level engine is, that now this good breathing engine will make a good power curve at low boost levels. The great part is no need for an intercooler at this boost level. Just use Water injection on the street.

This engine in a muscle car will run good, smoke free, and get 40+ MPG on # 2 diesel fuel. Go ahead and put a good set of rods in the motor and the hp level is close to 1100 hp with nitrous , which doubles as an intercooler.

Here are some pictures of the NX Mustang and My Dragster and their engine programs based around the Dmax diesel engine.

Oh and I love this forum, the knowledge level is humbling.

See less See more
#43 · (Edited)
Guys this is one of those backwards people that uses his position as a moderator on the diesel forums to show his jealousies. He’s just jealous that he has never done anything but be a big nobody, like this high post count no ET!!!!!! Looks like he rallied the rest of the nobody’s to come over to play their games

He continues to spread his lies. and threaten people , ill take you up on that you chicken shit , next time , don’t worry about talking , because I’ll start without a word , you just a coward chickenshit bully , who’s hide behind a forum

SO anytime, it’s time to get it on , or STFU coward.

Looks like you the same pretentious nobody over here as well,

so you can threten as much as you want , im game for it , any time your man enought to back up you chicken shit threats

on this forun you can cut and past forming a new thread to make things out of context,

#32 ·
Please note all of the I's used and the lack of WE's used.
Greg has forgotten how many people helped him along the way and just needs his ego stroked now. I don't think he can live without hearing how great he is on a daily basis.
Wait till the name dropping starts...he's raced with everyone from WJ to John Force. Yet nobody's ever heard of him. lol

I met Greg the first time in Denver in 05 or so...pompous ass then....pompous ass to this day.

#171 · (Edited)
Please note all of the I's used and the lack of WE's used.
Greg has forgotten how many people helped him along the way and just needs his ego stroked now. I don't think he can live without hearing how great he is on a daily basis.
Wait till the name dropping starts...he's raced with everyone from WJ to John Force. Yet nobody's ever heard of him. lol

I met Greg the first time in Denver in 05 or so...pompous ass then....pompous ass to this day.
Ok, I’m up and had my first cup of coffee, and did a little reading. And after a little research on goggle, I found this thread; it shows a lot of what Greg has done in his life , and I can’t get this thought out of my head.
The first few pictures are of Greg, the last picture is the leader of this pack of diesel world want to bee’s

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76833

Or do you want this person to be the face of the diesel community.

#49 ·
again, your coward keyboard pecket , I am not a english professor , I an a racer .

as you can spell. , you migh want to join up with the **** car club, I hear you do swing that way ,

you see chicken shit , boy I love YB where I can call a chicken shit coward **** just what he is , and he can't fuck with me

#46 ·
#48 ·
Fuck your entire 35 post have all been about you greggles. You've forgotten everyone that's ever helped you, don't forget about your cummins motors you locked up on your first pass or your camshafts rounding off. The only reason you tell everyone to stay away from traditional diesel guys is because they have all stayed away from you. Stroke your ego some more and tell everyone how Im a nobody and I've done nothing for the diesel industry and your a god blah blah blah same old Greg. Everyone hates you on every other site mind as well come over here and post half truths about yourself.

#50 ·
Fuck your entire 35 post have all been about you greggles. You've forgotten everyone that's ever helped you, don't forget about your cummins motors you locked up on your first pass or your camshafts rounding off. The only reason you tell everyone to stay away from traditional diesel guys is because they have all stayed away from you. Stroke your ego some more and tell everyone how Im a nobody and I've done nothing for the diesel industry and your a god blah blah blah same old Greg. Everyone hates you on every other site mind as well come over here and post half truths about yourself.
never ever locked up an engine , and of the 1200 cams I've done for diesel trucks , Ive had two go bad,

but again can you say , go find the newbe forum ,

you and you herd , funny, your one of the few that sees it that way ,

these guys are some backwards ass keyboard racers ,

#54 ·
Bull fucking shit you haven't locked up one, motor you did with Greg at ZZ locked up it's first fuckin pass, don't come on here and try to lie.
Only 2 go bad? I guess that doesn't count the 5 of your fucked up cams in our shop then does it.

But Greg you do need credit where it's do, you are the biggest self enthusiast and bridge burner I know.

#58 ·
Bull fucking shit you haven't locked up one, motor you did with Greg at ZZ locked up it's first fuckin pass, don't come on here and try to lie.
Only 2 go bad? I guess that doesn't count the 5 of your fucked up cams in our shop then does it.

But Greg you do need credit where it's do, you are the biggest self enthusiast and bridge burner I know.
your a fraud , your pimping cams for your buddy , and you can't find one of my cams that has had a problem it’s just you lying

#56 ·
Listen you ****, anytime, you might get a surprise. I don’t go around and threaten people, but ill finish it if you intend to start it, and I will make sure you Shut the fuck up you big coward

#57 ·
Don't forget him blowing the tune on the NX Mustang so bad a piston was actually stuck to a head when they were pulled.
That's why Johnboy tunes it now...Greg just burns shit up.

Wha about how you told me yourself Greg about fraudulently obtaining the TNT-R software for Kirks truck ?

Telling the young girls you hang around that you're hung like a yak? What the fuck, man....a yak? Really?
Hung like a fucking pedophile is more like it. Sick bastard.
Maybe your wife needs a link to some of his shit. Maybe I'll tell Anna about the things you claim to have done with her....

You're such a piece of shit...I'm astounded that you are still allowed to touch a wrench anywhere on the planet.

#59 ·
Don't forget him blowing the tune on the NX Mustang so bad a piston was actually stuck to a head when they were pulled.
That's why Johnboy tunes it now...Greg just burns shit up.

Wha about how you told me yourself Greg about fraudulently obtaining the TNT-R software for Kirks truck ?

Telling the young girls you hang around that you're hung like a yak? What the fuck, man....a yak? Really?
Hung like a fucking pedophile is more like it. Sick bastard.
Maybe your wife needs a link to some of his shit. Maybe I'll tell Anna about the things you claim to have done with her....

You're such a piece of shit...I'm astounded that you are still allowed to touch a wrench anywhere on the planet.

one I don't tune ,am and second I dont suck dick like you do , you know more of us know about you then you think

#62 ·
Dude...if the best you can come up with is dick sucking jabs then you need to step aside and leave YB to the real men.
You're a fucking idiot and you've shown everyone that with your last 10 or so posts.

I'll make sure to mail a link to this thread to the NX guys in the morning so they can see how well you represent their company.

Night sweetie....see you tomorrow.

#63 ·
Dude...if the best you can come up with is dick sucking jabs then you need to step aside and leave YB to the real men.
You're a fucking idiot and you've shown everyone that with your last 10 or so posts.

I'll make sure to mail a link to this thread to the NX guys in the morning so they can see how well you represent their company.

Night sweetie....see you tomorrow.
so, you are still a cock sucker , and you know it ,, hech a lot of us have heard it as well,

and i'll be there in the morning , so cool, we will get a good laugh out of it ,

you are the one that jumped on a good thread , like you all ways do, and make big post count ,

to bad you can't do anything else

#65 ·
Ha real funny Greg, weren't you banned from the NHRA for cheating in comp eliminator? Guess we should post that link huh? I think it's hilarious you post up project X when Wes Snow actually set that whole truck up, infact he was the one to give it it's best E.T. Remember back at the Texas Nationals where the officials had to stop you from driving cause of your blown headgasket was soaking everything and you thought it was supposed to be like that? How about your stolen cam profiles or you ripping open every scheid built injection pump and copying the pump cams in those. Your a horrible fucking mechanic and a even worse person.

#67 ·
Ha real funny Greg, weren't you banned from the NHRA for cheating in comp eliminator? Guess we should post that link huh? I think it's hilarious you post up project X when Wes Snow actually set that whole truck up, infact he was the one to give it it's best E.T. Remember back at the Texas Nationals where the officials had to stop you from driving cause of your blown headgasket was soaking everything and you thought it was supposed to be like that? How about your stolen cam profiles or you ripping open every scheid built injection pump and copying the pump cams in those. Your a horrible fucking mechanic and a even worse person.
FUNNY, you would not understand competition eliminator. I still have an NHRA , and a IHRA advance ET lic in both dragster and Door car.
I’ve run Competition Eliminator, Super Stock, something people on YB actually understand, along with all of the super categories with gas and diesels vehicles as well.
And you !!!!!!!

#68 · (Edited)