Yellow Bullet Forums banner

There goes another one!!!!

8K views 125 replies 32 participants last post by  nooner 
#1 ·
As reported this morning on the radio, Windsor has lost another major employer. Nemak's (Ford) Essex Aluminum Plant has been given their 1 year notice for closure putting roughly 550 people out of jobs in spring of 09. Same story as others, strong loonie...border issues...cost of raw materials...ect. I am starting to hear the crickets now!!!!!!! Anyone wanna move out west???

#105 ·
I agree with you Taner but firing someone for drinking on the job is like firing someone for having cancer in the eyes of the law (employment standards act) Alcoholism is a recognized disease in Ontario and companies MUST allow for proper treatment (rehab) before someone can be fired. Dave is also right when he says no matter what the profession there will always be drunks, gamblers, drug addicts, thieves and so on and so on. Sad thing is everyone suffers in the eyes of the public for the choices of a few!!!!!!!!!

#118 ·
Shoot, I found half a 24 in one of the Stow-N-Go compartments in my van!!!:smt103 J/K

Seriously though, what happens when some one gets killed as a direct result of some one drinking on the job? That I'm sure gets ugly. WSIB are cracking down like there's no tomorrow on trying to prevent workplace injuries.

#106 ·
BLUESMOKE started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN ) for 6am. While his coffeepot ( MADE IN CHINA ) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor ( MADE IN HONG KONG ). He put on a dress shirt ( MADE IN SRI LANKA ), designer jeans ( MADE IN SINGAPORE ) and tennis shoes( MADE IN KOREA ). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet ( MADE ININDIA ) he sat down with his calculator( MADE IN MEXICO ) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch ( MADE INTAIWAN ) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA ) he got in his car ( MADE IN GERMANY ) filled it with GAS from Saudi Arabia and continued his search for a good paying CANADIAN JO B At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his Computer (Made In Malaysia ), BLUESMOKE decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals ( MADE IN BRAZIL ) poured himself a glass of wine ( MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV ( MADE IN INDONESIA ), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in CANADA

#109 ·
hmmm....i'd have to disagree with the statement you made willy. i think an employer should be able to fire someone on the spot for drinking or doing drugs on the job. i realize that addiction is treated as a "disease" in most respects. but when it comes to work, someone with cancer doesn't put another's life at risk. an intoxicated person working among others around machinery.......not good. this is where i feel the union oversteps it's boundaries. protect the guy that was fired cause the foreman hates him for personal reasons....not the guy that can't seprate his work life from his social party life.

did someone mention race season?

#110 ·
Agreed......I think the employer should have the right to terminate that employee. I can't see how its good for plant moral when Joe Shmoe is allowed to show up wasted , do a piss poor job, and then gets job protection. Where is the incentive for the guy working next to him to keep up the good attitude and work quality.
I would have thought that by now the people on the plant floor that do good work would be causing a big stink over employees like that who get special treatment.

#121 ·
so i see the topic changed again
there is a difference drinking at work and getting caught drinking at work
getting caught is an automatic 3 days suspension
getting caught again is a 30 day suspension
getting caught again is your ass on the street
now according to how it actually works is all up to the supervisor he can ignore it cause you ain`t that bad or he can fire you on the spot and let the union work it out
or they can fire your ass you go to brentwood and when they say your cleen and not going to do it again the union can negotiate a probationary period were if you get caught again your not getting back in
now mind you before there is a hundred posts on this being bull shit
i said this is what can happen not what will happen
and if the union fights to get someone back in it`s usually at contract time and we lose something in the next contract

#122 ·
davs5.0,

point taken, i can only speak to what i see first hand. keep this in mind....the parts are all reduced cost engineered parts. the almighty dollar is usually what keeps designs being implemented that may assemble and work better in a vehicle! everybody wants a $100 part for $5. unfortunately that isn't how it works, so we end up with the $5 dollar part. maybe certain commodities of parts in the vehicles don't get cost cut as much, but my experience says that is not the case. i don't his first hand on drivetrain components and fuel and brake systems, but i am sure there is no difference.

chad,

problem with drinking is it can get the offender as well as someone else hurt. getting the people the help they need is great only if it works.

#123 ·
Taner............we (Randy, Doug and myself) see this stuff first hand. Every time we turn around we're getting pounded on price. Quality (of the part AND of the machine we build to make that part) doesn't count for squat anymore. Hence the reason you get all these recalls. You wanted a $5.00 balljoint pressed into that control arm? You got a $5.00 balljoint pressed into that contol arm. And then you had $3.00 a day Juan install that $5.00 balljoint into that $50,000.00 truck. And they wonder why they have recalls?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.