Yellow Bullet Forums banner

old drag photos

175K views 534 replies 131 participants last post by  67novabill 
#1 ·
Someone mentioned I should post some of my dads pictures here. I guess I just spend too much time in trash or be trashed section. They dont get too excited over the idea over there. I will try a few every day for a week and see how it goes over here. These are by no means in any order, To explain, I had 2 dads growing up, both big gear heads and racers. Ive respectfully tributed my altered to them both from there 60's version cars named Sour Grapes, and Russell & Rice.

See less See more
#135 ·
This is U.S. 30 as it sat a couple years ago. These were taken by a local distant friend, his name is Bob Carlson. He is a cousin of a crew member my dad ran with back in the day. We met on a blog as I searched while looking for hidden pics of my dads Sour Grapes cars. His cousin, my dads crew member, Joe Leaman, lost all his photos of the Sour Grapes in a fire and I hooked him up of coarse, along with Bob. He was kind enough to give me these pictures.

Joe Leamans dad owned a machinw shop in Lafayette Indiana, that is where the Sour Grapes willys was built. They would show up after the shop closed and stay there all night building the car. Ive got pictures of the entire building process, out with the day crew in with the play crew, thats what they use to say going in at night.

#142 ·
This is U.S. 30 as it sat a couple years ago...

Wow, a brush-hog, a backpack blower, and a couple gallons of Pimp Juice would have that place hopping overnight!

#137 ·
This pic is not mine, I found it but did ask Jerry Clayton about the outcome of the sky high wheelie.

Put yourself in the drivers seat in the pic below. The car came down and did not hurt the front end. It did break the body mounts off the back of the car. They scurried to find a fix for the next round. The only thing they could think of was to wire it back together. Having no wire they cut a bunch of barb wire fencing from the tracks back perimeter to make thier repair. Then the car came back to runs its best pass of the day. Once again whatever it took to get it done.

#143 ·
So. here we are, forty to fifty years later. We've got rules, technology, rules, hardware, rules, magnificent drag strips, rules, sfi requirements, rules, and everythings else, including rule upon rule for every aspect of racing that do very little except drive the costs thru the roof. How are we any better off?
Do you think, another fifty years down the road, that anyone will care to see pictures of what's going on today? I doubt it.

#145 ·
Do you think, another fifty years down the road, that anyone will care to see pictures of what's going on today? I doubt it.
Probably not.

#150 ·
Thanks for taking the time to post these pics. I can remember alot of these in old Hotrod books I used to look at as a kid. My 1st trip to the dragstrip was with my uncle. We went to Thornhill in Ky where they had the old clocks instead of a xmas tree. I think it was Car Craft that done a article on Thornhill and the clocks they had then. There was a 56 chevy that ran hi 10's and man I thought he was flying. Brings back alot of good memories.

#154 ·
Great pics & thanks for posting them. But, what's with the two dad thing?
Glad to see Savage finally post about something too.
When I was a kid our house, Dennys, Macs, Bobs houses were all within 2 blocks of each other. When I was 9 in 1970 my parents divorced and my dad moved to Kansas City to drive for Al Vanderwoude. That left Denny to be my father figure growing up, and still to this very day. I lived with my dad most summers and went to some really good races in the process, as that was thier job for the most part. But after I went back to Indiana Denny was a big part of me growing up, so I just call him my 2nd, or other dad.

#507 ·
This burning vette brings back some foggy memories! Lol. George's Corvette Shop used to burn up once in a while, like every pass! Hahahah they used to say in the pits that trying to run a vette body on a funny car was VOODOO and from then on, you didn't see that many vettes in the future. They just didn't work well....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.